Aussies XLVII

Paxter

Well, the AFL final 8 has been settled.

My lot are in there, to play Carlton next Saturday night. I'm not expecting much, but it should be fun to cheer for them in the finals again after a few years out.

Did your team get in? Who are you tipping for the flag? Do you care? Is AFL the antichrist to the NRL or A-League saviour?

What is it with Victorians?

First they lose a prime minister, and now a state minister. Smacks of carelessness really...

In other news, Brendan Nelson has lobbed a nasty little parting shot at Malcolm Turnbull, a byelection right around the same time that Labor will reintroduce the ETS legislation. Labor naturally aren't running a candidate, seeking instead to make the byelection a referendum on Turnbull's glorious 14 months as opposition leader. Fun times!

What is it with Victorians?

First they lose a prime minister, and now a state minister. Smacks of carelessness really...

sheer carlessness

In other news, Brendan Nelson has lobbed a nasty little parting shot at Malcolm Turnbull, a byelection right around the same time that Labor will reintroduce the ETS legislation. Labor naturally aren't running a candidate, seeking instead to make the byelection a referendum on Turnbull's glorious 14 months as opposition leader. Fun times!

heh!

More

NSW shenanigans

no loss .. really

Do Australians ever say "Fair Dinkum" and "No worries"?

'No worries' is a stereotypical thing for an Aussie to say? Wow, I say it all the time and thought everyone, everywhere did...

The Della Bosca thing. I don't understand when something embarrassing comes out about a politician that has absolutely nothing to do with their elected duties they feel the need to quit. Sure it's humiliating, but it doesn't affect his duties. It makes me think there's something else they don't want to come out.

Having said that, I've never been in that position, and I'm not from NSW, so don't know the guy's history (except some recollection of something with his wife and a restaurant).

'No worries' is a stereotypical thing for an Aussie to say? Wow, I say it all the time and thought everyone, everywhere did...

I'm surprised too. I didn't think it was typical Aussie either and I also say 'No worries' all the time or sometimes I say 'No probs'. That's short for 'No problems' but that can't be Aussie as I think it's similar in French, Italian and Spanish. Non probleme/No problema or something like that, I also say 'nil problemo' but I don't think that's actually a language!

'Fair dinkum' is said occasionally, but it's often said in jest.

I'm surprised too. I didn't think it was typical Aussie either and I also say 'No worries' all the time or sometimes I say 'No probs'. That's short for 'No problems' but that can't be Aussie as I think it's similar in French, Italian and Spanish. Non probleme/No problema or something like that, I also say 'nil problemo' but I don't think that's actually a language!

'Fair dinkum' is said occasionally, but it's often said in jest.

What sort of career are you in? It depends really, I'm an electrician and plenty of people say Fair Dinkum with no intention of sounding funny.

Interesting the whole Aussie sland and sense of humor. I started a bit of trouble on it. I heaped more shame upon us racist Aussies in the Alex vs ghengis thread. I said something as a joke and zollo and dantegabriel thought I was being an aussie white supremicist! It's like when you say "Yeah nigga you go girl" and everyone goes apeshit. Just annoying how they think we're Afirkanners or something because of their media.

Archived