Aussies XLVII

Paxter

It's just the same, tired old debate from the same POVs using the same tired old arguements. I've seen the US-gun-control debate too many times and it plays out the same way every time. Seriously, nobody is gonna change their mind over it so why bother....

Ski, I'm definitely in for it, and I'm guessing horza would be as well.

www.footytips.com.au would be my website of choice, but it's up to you really. Start up a league and let me know what the code is.

Yeah count me in as well

OK, that makes three of us. But we probably need at least two or three more to make this worthwhile. Anyone else want to join? No A-League knowledge necessary. This is just for shits and giggles ;).

they also shoot at those dangerous road signs

I couldn't get over that when I lived in Tassie. Road signs with holes in them! At first I thought it was some kind of fancy design and the wholes were on purpose...Until my boyfriend pointed out they were just bullet holes :P Don't see that so much on the Gold Coast, but perhaps because I'm not in a rural area!

OK, that makes three of us. But we probably need at least two or three more to make this worthwhile. Anyone else want to join? No A-League knowledge necessary. This is just for shits and giggles ;).

I think I'll give it a miss, thanks. My lack of A-League knowledge extends to not knowing what A-League is.

Australia's highest soccer league? :P

Actually we could do with a few people picking with zero knowledge just to form a control group against which to measure us three :P

Might as well place tipping bets on who the next NRL player is going to be who assaults a female.

Greg Inglis makes the fifth NRL player in a year to be done with assaulting a woman after he belted his girlfriend. And the fucking hysterical thing about this is that they made him poster boy after bird got done.

Might as well place tipping bets on who the next NRL player is going to be who assaults a female.

Greg Inglis makes the fifth NRL player in a year to be done with assaulting a woman after he belted his girlfriend. And the fucking hysterical thing about this is that they made him poster boy after bird got done.

Do NRL players have to pass drug tests? I wonder if they're all chugging steroids and are thus super aggressive, or if its just that men who play league are naturally more violent, or if there's some kind of culture of violence, or what. It really needs to have a thorough investigation, and some radical changes have to be made to stop this kind of thing from happening.

I'm not one of those people who thinks sports stars should be perfect role models or whatever - I have no problem with them partying after a win, having a few drinks, insulting other players, or whatever. But physical abuse of *anyone*, whether it's domestic abuse, sexual abuse, or random violence at either gender, really needs to stop.

Do NRL players have to pass drug tests? I wonder if they're all chugging steroids and are thus super aggressive, or if its just that men who play league are naturally more violent, or if there's some kind of culture of violence, or what. It really needs to have a thorough investigation, and some radical changes have to be made to stop this kind of thing from happening.

I'm not one of those people who thinks sports stars should be perfect role models or whatever - I have no problem with them partying after a win, having a few drinks, insulting other players, or whatever. But physical abuse of *anyone*, whether it's domestic abuse, sexual abuse, or random violence at either gender, really needs to stop.

They get pretty heavily tested, I don't doubt that theres more than a few on steroids who have managed to slip through but not enough to cause this much of a problem. Party drugs are pretty widely used among NRL players but really alcohol is the drug thats at the root of most of the problems.

The fact that a lot of these guys are taken out of their homes as young as 15/16, get incredible amounts of money thrown at them and then are put in an environment where they have people bowing to their every whim and attempting to cover up all their mistakes doesn't help either.

I could write an essay about what I think is wrong with the NRL at the moment lol, I really think all the negative press they are getting at the moment is a good thing. The players aren't any stupider or more violent than they were five years ago but maybe having it all brought to the worlds attention will force some change. A lot of the older officials still have a 'boys will be boys' mentality and they have to be cleared out. The dickhead at Cronulla was a good start but he's not the only one.

The other problem, IMO, is the game itself. Rugby league is the most physically demanding of all the various codes we play, so it attracts a certain type of personality at the highest level, someone willing to put their body on the line and be ultra aggressive on the field. Problem is, they don't know how to turn it off, and these days they dont have any other distractions (like a full time job or whatever)

I don't want to make excuses for them though. Fucking idiots.

The other problem, IMO, is the game itself. Rugby league is the most physically demanding of all the various codes we play, so it attracts a certain type of personality at the highest level, someone willing to put their body on the line and be ultra aggressive on the field. Problem is, they don't know how to turn it off, and these days they dont have any other distractions (like a full time job or whatever)

I don't want to make excuses for them though. Fucking idiots.

I don't have figures mate, but what about people such as boxers or cage fighters (mma). There really aren't many stories about them behaving badly.

EDIT to say I don't mean some amateurs, I mean the pros.

I don't have figures mate, but what about people such as boxers or cage fighters (mma). There really aren't many stories about them behaving badly.

EDIT to say I don't mean some amateurs, I mean the pros.

Good point OLP. Like I said, i don't want to find excuses for these guys. I'm fed up with their bullshit.

Having recently moved to NSW I have to say that the culture associated with league is totally different to that of the AFL. It's like these guys are living ~10 years behind the AFL in terms of player behaviour, markedly so in respect to women. I'm not saying the AFL is the gold standard either, it has its problems too but league just seems to be living in a different decade. The attitudes of the club old guards is pretty appalling, it seems theres always a bit of 'colorful' racism/sexism/blokeism thats chuckled about by other more sensitive media commentators who themselves are pretty terrible.

The whole thing is pretty amateur in regards to presentation and often amusing to see, just watch the footy show for an example, but in the end the stuff thats getting joked about is resulting in some nasty stuff.

One thing thats strange is the love of 'The Biff' that everyones on about with commentator regularly saying that they can't wait to see opposing teams bash the crap out of each other. Then after the game everyone goes on about how good said smashings were. If someone nearly had their neck snapped or someone got kicked and punched whilst unconscious they might discuss it as being a bit rough.

I think maybe if you clean up this crap in the game it might just make a difference to off field behavior. The game doesn't have to play like this after all.

Appaling off-field behaviour is not limited to contact sports.

See this story on Warriors Cricketer Luke Pomersbach.

Having lived in Perth during the Ben Cousins debacle, I see the cause more as a symptom of some of the young blokes getting too much money, too much fame and too much adoration without being guided or coached through the changes they will experience as a result of their success. Maybe I'm misreading it, but the offenders seem to have an 'I'm a big pro-sport star - I can get away with anything' attitude.

EDIT: Which I guess is what Mackaxx said in this quote:

I see them as a product of their environment.

Stubby, I don't even think it is the money sometimes. In league, the big stars earn big bucks, but your average first grader isn't making much more than a successful plumber, or someone like that. It's more the second thing you mentioned, the ego. Especially in a one-team town like Newcastle or Brisbane, where the team's players are the biggest celebrities in town.

Archived