Cricket VIII

Zoƫ Sumra

I had a dodgy batting technique where I often moved across my stumps to the offside and got myself into a tangle, so I changed my stance. I went for a rather open stance taking guard on leg stump. This meant that my instinctive movement across the stumps to the offside actually got me into a reasonable final position of just covering the stumps instead of going too far across, resulting in my playing a bit straighter and more in the V from mid-off to mid-on.

Taking guard on leg stump and opening up slightly is probably a good adjustment to make. I'll give it a try at training during the week and see if it makes a difference.

Phew, great game, work the loss of sleep. Grant Elliot played a perfect ODI innings - nudged singles for twenty overs and hardly played a shot, then suddenly hit Gul for 4-4-6 in the batting powerplay.

Looking forward to the Tasman final! A shame we don't have Ryder, Oram and Tuffey, but the replacements have done OK so far.

Punter's alright. He gets far too much stick for my liking. It's Michael Clarke I can't stand, and he's injured so that takes that out of the equation.

Still, I do want to see New Zealand win. It would make a change from Australia cleaning up all the one day competitions that go around.

Massive blow to NZ, Vettori is out with a hamstring strain.

You've got to feel for the guy - finally they have a chance at a major trophy in the final, and he's almost single-handedly got them there, and now he can't play. I've always liked Vettori as a player and a dignified captain. NZ's chances of winning have got to be a lot slimmer now that Vettori isn't there. Australia shouldn't win it like this (if they do win, that is).

And agree with DJD...I don't like Ponting (the India home series still sticks in my throat) but Michael Clarke is the real evil one. ;)

Massive blow to NZ, Vettori is out with a hamstring strain.

And to make matters worse, McCullum lasted about 10 seconds, leaving Redmond, in his second ODI, out there looking all at sea.

Grr. As much as I really want NZ to win this, I don't mind losing as long as we put up a good fight. But I have fears of being embarrassed

That said, Guptill seems to be leading a fightback.

And agree with DJD...I don't like Ponting (the India home series still sticks in my throat) but Michael Clarke is the real evil one. ;)

You'll get no disagreement from me, I went off Clarke back in 2004, when he pissed about getting his first ODI century and Ponting had to go down the wicket and say 'Do you actually want to get this or what? Get on with it.'

Ponting's a great batsman and I admire is courage and toughness. But once you got past 'leading by example', he's got naff all else as a captain. He still doesn't deserve the shit he gets over here in the UK though.

My main problem with Clarke is his sense of self importance. You're always hearing stories about how the team are meeting for a bonding session over dinner or something, but he's swanning off with Lara Bingle somewhere. As if he's too good for it all. How is this man even being considered to be the next captain of Australia?

He probably deserved more than Katich grabbing his throat all those months ago.

ETA: Franklin and Broom out in successive overs in the powerplay. Has to be it now for New Zealand, on 166-7. They'll do well to reach 200 from here.

Well, they got to 200, but I'm off to bed. After the way Australia chased against England the other day, I would be very surprised to wake up to a Black Caps victory. Stranger things have happened though ;).

Well, they got to 200, but I'm off to bed. After the way Australia chased against England the other day, I would be very surprised to wake up to a Black Caps victory. Stranger things have happened though ;).

At the moment (154/3) New Zealand haven't made it easy for Australia, but I can't see them winning from here, particularly with Bond having bowled all his overs now.

156-4 makes it sound a slight bit better, but they've still got plenty of batting to come and Watson is well set on 77.

ETA: Though I wasn't aware of Ferguson's troubles. So hmm... Still only 45 runs to win.

Nice jinx, Paxy!

Thanks a lot Horza. And while I'm in a jinxing mood...I have been very impressed with Bolton Wanderers in the last couple of rounds. They definitely won't get relegated this season ;)

Thanks a lot Horza. And while I'm in a jinxing mood...I have been very impressed with Bolton Wanderers in the last couple of rounds. They definitely won't get relegated this season ;)

You're right, we're doomed - I just wish we were lead by Sam Allardyce, he's going to take Blackburn to Europe this season :P

And no sooner is the ICC Champions Trophy over than the World Cup groups are drawn:

Group A: Australia, Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe, Canada, Kenya

Group B: India, South Africa, England, West Indies, Bangladesh, Ireland, Netherlands

They're having quarter finals instead of Super 8 apparantly. The first round still looks largely pointless; group A teams will get to the QF by beating Zimbabwe, Canada and Kenya. Bangladesh and Ireland are both quite a lot better.

I couldn't see where it said about Super 8 - I was hoping not with groups as massive as those ones. Maybe they should have gone whole hog to shorten the competition, 12 instead of 16 like last time, four groups of three, top 2 through. Cuts number of games from 51 to 39 (if my maths is right) instead of from 51 to 49 (mmm, big drop!) like this.

I couldn't see where it said about Super 8 - I was hoping not with groups as massive as those ones. Maybe they should have gone whole hog to shorten the competition, 12 instead of 16 like last time, four groups of three, top 2 through. Cuts number of games from 51 to 39 (if my maths is right) instead of from 51 to 49 (mmm, big drop!) like this.

I agree it does still seem like a lot of games, especially since the number of guaranteed games for the minor nations has apparently increased so now the likes of Canada will end up playing 6 matches which will all probably be fairly pointless affairs unless they can spring a big surprise. It's particularly silly since we can probably be fairly certain who will go through to the next rounds, since the increased number of matches makes it more difficult for someone like Ireland to qualify, since they'd probably need to beat multiple test playing nations.

It's ridiculous. So we have 42 games (30 of which include minnows, if you count Bangladesh!) just for the top 8 teams to go through to the quarters, and then 7 games which are actually meaningful. And as you say william, the minnow games are less relevant, though we have more of them.

I really enjoyed the ICC tournament, and this is a huge step backward.

Archived