Cricket VIII

Zoë Sumra

I agree Rimmer, after making some good changes to the format for the Champions Trophy, the ICC have made a complete mess of World Cup 2011. It seems that they haven't learned their lessons from the debacle in the WI. Frankly, I will probably enjoy the upcoming Champions League (which starts tonight) a lot more than the next WC.

42 games? Volume over quality. I sense TV rights had a big part to play in this. Thinking of the last CWC I can only recall the night time finish in the final and the death of Bob Woolmer (which is not the ICCs fault but it cast a heavy shadow over the tournament).

In other news Jacob Oram looks like he's calling it a day. And he's only 31, shame.

Well, this Twenty20 Champions League seems like a bit of a moneyfest, but I've been watching a fair few of the matches since they're on at 9pm-midnight each night here in Australia and I'm currently on holidays so I can go for some late nights. ;) The more I watch Twenty20 matches, the more I can see some wider benefits of the game. There are some good young players who are getting exposure in the game, spinners still have a vital role to play (they've wrecked multiple run chases in this competition so far), bowlers might get carted for runs but have the added incentive of getting wickets much more frequently, and in general the batsmen who succeed to make big scores are the guys who are defensively solid and can push the single as well as play the big shots.

The batsmen who are the sloggers seldom actually succeed (Lendl Simmons comes to mind as the most outrageous slogger)...perhaps a quickfire 20, which is useful if you are in those last slogging overs, but in the end they mis-hit or swing and miss to the extent that their strike rates won't necessarily be much better than their more conventional counterparts. The guys who make the big Twenty20 scores are the guys who take singles off balls and choose the right ball to pound.

Thoroughly enjoying the Champions League. As Jeor mentioned, it is great to see so many young players stepping up to the plate against experienced international opponents. Kieron Pollard's hitting against NSW was absolutely insane and Moses Henriques also looks to be a good young all-rounder.

Side-note: Ross Taylor was born to play T20.

Australia just managed to cling on against India in the first ODI. Bah. :mad:

Would eleven Vettoris be world-beaters?

Perhaps not, but it would probably be stronger than NZ's current test line-up :P.

Maybe 6 Chris Cairns and 5 Daniel Vettoris would be a more balanced team ;).

Really enjoyed the Champions League BTW. NSW were deserved winners and T&T showed that there is still some talent in the WI domestic comp. No surprise to see the IPL teams flop. They lack the unity and balance of experienced domestic teams like NSW, Vic and the Cobras. Star quality only gets you so far.

4 fit Jacob Orams (one to be 'keeper), 3 Chris Cairns and 4 Dan Vettoris would be a perfect NZ lineup.

I too liked the Champions League and that the 'true' domestic sides like T&T and NSW made it to the final. These guys have played together with each other more than the IPL teams, in NSW's case they play four-day and one-day cricket together, I don't know what the T&T situation is but I imagine it's around the same. But as Stuart Clark also said, for some guys the Champions League is the highlight of their careers. People like wicketkeeper Smith for NSW are unlikely to ever play international cricket or make big money so the Champions League is a Big Thing for them. I think the IPL teams treat it a bit more 'ho hum' given that they have their own IPL to play for and plenty of the guys in there are international stars already.

WI have a tough choice to make re:captaincy for the upcoming Australia tour. Gayle, the incumbent, leads from the front with his dominant play at the top of the order but is tactically limited and seems generally uninterested in test cricket. Ganga is a superb captain and genuinely wants to lead the WI, but his batting won't strike fear into the hearts of the Australian attack. It is likely that if he is not picked as captain, he won't be selected in the team at all.

Personally, I'd rather see Ganga get the nod. The way he led T&T in the Champions League showed that he has what it takes to lift a young team to a high level of performance. And he does have two centuries against Australia, which is two more than Chris Gayle ;).

I'd also like to see Ganga included in the squad, preferably also as captain. I don't think it would upset Gayle, and it would free him up to be the Windies best batsman. Regarding Ganga's ability and the fact he averages only 25ish in Test matches, I think it's a non-issue. Barring Gayle, Sarwan and Chanderpaul, a 25-ish Test average just about describes any of the rest of the West Indies batsmen who have played in the last few years (I suppose Bravo is better, but he plays as an all-rounder). Point is, I think Ganga could be included as one of the top 6 batsmen in the West Indies, and he certainly wouldn't do any worse than the current crop of Morton, Smith etc who seem to be filling out the batting lineup these days.

I'd also like to see Ganga included in the squad, preferably also as captain. I don't think it would upset Gayle, and it would free him up to be the Windies best batsman. Regarding Ganga's ability and the fact he averages only 25ish in Test matches, I think it's a non-issue. Barring Gayle, Sarwan and Chanderpaul, a 25-ish Test average just about describes any of the rest of the West Indies batsmen who have played in the last few years (I suppose Bravo is better, but he plays as an all-rounder). Point is, I think Ganga could be included as one of the top 6 batsmen in the West Indies, and he certainly wouldn't do any worse than the current crop of Morton, Smith etc who seem to be filling out the batting lineup these days.

I'm not sure anything can really upset Gayle (except for not being paid enough, apparently). I agree that there is a shortage of Windies batsmen who would be better than Ganga's fairly mediocre batting ability. That said, a batting line-up of Gayle, Ganga, Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Nash, Bravo, Ramdin doesn't look too bad.

Archived