Cricket VIII

Zoë Sumra

Ponting on Shane Watson:

"He can have a massive impact on world cricket I think with the way his game is shaping up," Ponting said during a promotion for his Captain's Diary 2009 on Monday.

"If you look at the outstanding all-rounders around the world, Flintoff is finished, Kallis does not have far to go, (West India's Dwayne) Bravo is thereabouts but he is a bit up and down.

"There are not many of them around."

When asked if Watson could become the game's premier all-rounder, Ponting added: "I have always seen that he has the ability to do that."

"He has had his fair share of blokes that have knocked him along the way and they have knocked me and the selectors for keeping on picking him.

"But he is starting to show now what he is capable of, he has a great opportunity that he can become that considering a lot of the other guys are coming towards the end."

What a dickhead Ponting is:

a) Shane Watson is hardly emerging as an all-rounder in test match cricket. He bowled 8 overs in the three Ashes test matches he played in. If he is going to be "the game's premier all-rounder" he better start bowling some overs in the premier form of the game.

b) I hate how he pretends how Daniel Vettori doesn't exist.

BTW, this is not a pot-shot at Watson. I think his batting is up to test standard and he deserves to be in the team on that basis alone. But these all-rounder comments from Ponting make me want to spew. He can shove his Captain's Diary up his arse.

a) Shane Watson is hardly emerging as an all-rounder in test match cricket. He bowled 8 overs in the three Ashes test matches he played in. If he is going to be "the game's premier all-rounder" he better start bowling some overs in the premier form of the game.

b) I hate how he pretends how Daniel Vettori doesn't exist.

I notice that a key part of his theory that Watson could become the best allrounder was that first all the good all-rounders would have to retire.

Yes, but what an eight overs they were.

"He can have a massive impact on world cricket I think with the way his game is shaping up,"

Ricky is correct with this comment. Watson's contributing to research on the recovery from injury will be invaluable to all world cricketers.

Urgh. This has the potential to be a terrible test series. Gayle's gone home, and the Windies are getting towelled up by a very inexperienced Queensland team in the opening match of the tour. The two guys who made hundreds for Qld had never previously reached triple figures in a first-class game :bang:

WI desperately need Edwards and Taylor back in the line-up to spearhead the attack. Unfortunately Edwards is carrying a long-term injury so we won't be seeing much of him this summer.

WI desperately need Edwards and Taylor back in the line-up to spearhead the attack. Unfortunately Edwards is carrying a long-term injury so we won't be seeing much of him this summer.

There's a test series this summer?

There's a test series this summer?

It might not be that bad - Gayle has flown back in. With a batting lineup that consists of Gayle, Sarwan, Chanderpaul and Bravo, there's a chance the Windies could post some decent scores in the summer. Their bowling is more worrying, but I do think the Windies as a team have enough talent to ensure they don't get completely steamrolled as everyone seems to think. The Australian bowling is still not as incisive as it once was.

It might not be that bad - Gayle has flown back in. With a batting lineup that consists of Gayle, Sarwan, Chanderpaul and Bravo, there's a chance the Windies could post some decent scores in the summer. Their bowling is more worrying, but I do think the Windies as a team have enough talent to ensure they don't get completely steamrolled as everyone seems to think.

They have the potential to put up a good fight, but a lot will depend on how motivated they are. If they're as disinterested in competing as they were in their tour of England this summer then they're going to be slaughtered (although it is hard to blame them too much for being uninterested in a second test series against a team they'd just beaten a few weeks before).

The India-Sri Lanka Test is shaping up to become a second successive drawfest. It's good to see Dravid get another hundred to show that he really is back in touch but one gets the feeling this isn't exactly going to be a scintillating Test match.

The NZ/Pakistan one is a bit more interesting, mainly because of Pakistan's ups and downs, NZ were always going to be a pretty consistent outfit. Once again Vettori saves the day with his lower order batting, unlucky to be out on 99, but it was good to see McCullum, Taylor and Guptill chip in too. I hope Guptill can make it as an established regular. I like his style and he may have that chance of eventually breaking the mould of stylish traditional technique NZ batsmen with averages of 20-25.

Still meh.

My sentiments exactly. Frankly, I think I got more value from my WACA membership today (watching the Warriors thrash the Blues in an FR Cup match) than I will from the test match to be played in a few weeks' time.

ETA: Yeah, Vettori was excellent again today. He now has over 2000 runs at number 8 in test cricket, averaging nearly 44. That makes him easily the best batsman of all-time to regularly bat in that position. Other high profile all-rounders such as Dev and Pollock could average only in the low 30s at number 8. Though it is safe to say that Vettori has had more opportunities to bat for longer periods than those two ;).

Bond is back! Playing his first test match for over two years and he has just demolished the Pakistani middle order. If I was involved in NZ cricket, I would be begging him to quit ODIs (NZ are competitive without Bond in that format) and try to convince him to focus on the longer form of the game. They are a completely different team with him spearheading the test attack.

ETA: Windies attack is predictably pedestrian so far.

Yeah, Vettori was excellent again today. He now has over 2000 runs at number 8 in test cricket, averaging nearly 44. That makes him easily the best batsman of all-time to regularly bat in that position.

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far but statistically that's true anyway. :)

Watching a bit of the Australia-West Indies test match the Windies bowlers don't look too enthusiastic which doesn't bode well for their chances.

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far but statistically that's true anyway. :)

Statistics aside, who do you think has been a more consistently brilliant number 8 than the NZ captain?

The Aus vs. Windies test match is a joke so far. Hardly any signs of competitiveness from the Carribean team. Australia haven't played particularly well but they are still on top.

The Pakistan vs. NZ test is really interesting though. Can't wait to (hopefully) watch Umar Akmal play like that against the Aussies :).

Sri Lanka getting thrashed by India (although Murali is on 23* off 9 balls which is good fun). Lots of pressure on Sri Lanka now for the third and final match.

The Pakistan vs. NZ test is really interesting though. Can't wait to (hopefully) watch Umar Akmal play like that against the Aussies :).

Wow, I actually remember Umar Akmal from the world under 19 tournament at the start of last year. His knock was all class, given he's still only 19 and amongst Shane Bond's impressive return. I hope his exploits here and in the future become a shining beacon to kids growing up back in Pakistan and I hope the situation improves so that tests are hosted there again. So much talent.

As to Bond, a year ago I was certain we'd never see in an international. Glad to be wrong. A local paper highlighted he'd spent 745 days between internationals, ahh what could have been.

Statistics aside, who do you think has been a more consistently brilliant number 8 than the NZ captain?

I think Shaun Pollock was a better batsmen than Vettori for a start but to be fair I haven't seen a lot of Vettori recently so he may have improved.

The Pakistan/NZ match is turning into a real cracker. This is what a Test should be like...a run chase of 251 in the final innings but Pakistan are down to 3/36. However all the important batsmen are still there - Yousuf and the two Akmals and Shoaib Malik. Against an attack led by Bond and Vettori. You'd have to say NZ are in front here but it's going to be touch and go.

A pity you can't say that about the play at the Gabba. :leaving:

Archived