Football thread 13

Calibandar

Not sure what (if any) preparations the police took to stop something like this happening, but surely it could've been better. Who do you think the finger should be pointed at?

In recent years there has been a concerted effort by football clubs to reduce police presence. The clubs are (quite rightly) forced to pay the costs of police security and they don't like it. They've been arguing that games are safer today and that the hooligan problem has largely disappeared. They are right up to a point, but they seem to be ignoring the fact that the a major factor in that is the police.

The police have played a large part in the rehabilitation of English football. The only times they get credit is when the media use them to score points off continentals.

I can't say i know much about the history of football supporters and their rivalries but viewed from an outsiders perspective I just have to say that the whole business seems primitive and neanderthal to me. This is the 21st century. Get over it. Have a drink. Watch the game. Go home. I mean here in PNG, pitch invasions and assaults on refs and players are (unfortunately) common, but seriously. Vicariously living life through football matches and players. I know you don't have to worry about getting stabbed everytime you leave the house in England but seriously life can't be THAT boring?

Anyway, re: Rosicky in Training?

I hope they put the shackles on Diabolical and sat him in a corner. No. NOOO! Bad Abou. No.

Wouldn't mind seeing Ros sitting in the middle of that 3-man midfield in Fabregas's role and paying the fans back for their patience with a couple of scorchers.

And how far away is Nasri from coming back? I remember reading reports of 3-4 weeks?

(Funny how I'd not thought about that training ground mishap the whole time Diaby was basking in the glory of his brace)

I can't say i know much about the history of football supporters and their rivalries but viewed from an outsiders perspective I just have to say that the whole business seems primitive and neanderthal to me. This is the 21st century. Get over it. Have a drink. Watch the game. Go home.

It is not about the football for these people, it is just that most European football clubs have been around for more than 100 years now and are deeply rooted in their local communities. As such, they become convenient symbols for people to rally around and on occasion the pent up agression of people from troubled areas explodes in such a fashion during football games. If it weren't for football they would need to look a little harder for a convenient excuse to start trouble, but they'd certainly find one.

It's not just Millwall fans kicking off, it's both sides. Kick them both out of the cup and force them to play league games behind closed doors.
Hang on, what league games? You mean all of Millwall's games against everyone in the first div? And/or all of West Ham's games in the PL? That's never going to happen and it doesn't need to. There's a specific rivalry between these two clubs and if they ever have to play each other again then yes, it should be done behind closed doors. Or, the FA just keep rigging the fixture list.

That's the problem with evening kick-offs. The fact that it's a London club playing Millwall is bad enough but when they've had a few hours to drink everything just boils over. That's why Strathclyde Police don't want Rangers & Celtic matches to take place in the evening.

I live near Upton Park & most of the locals knew that there was going to be trouble I just made sure I got home early from work. But the cops & helicoptors were out in force from quite early. If some of the supporters want to make trouble they will. Usual PL match days are fine no problems, but Millwall & West Ham have a history of trouble.

Liverpool are woeful. If you follow a defeat at Spurs with a home defeat like this you are going to have a very hard time even getting into the top 5 this year, hotly contested as it is.
That makes no sense - man u lost 4 games last season and finished first. Liverpool lost 2 games and came second. Everton, who came fifth, lost 9 games. I don't dispute that Liverpool are woeful atm.

There's a specific rivalry between these two clubs and if they ever have to play each other again then yes, it should be done behind closed doors.

There is specific rivalry between these two clubs, but Isis, I lived near New Den for five years and this kind of shit (without the stabbing) was a regular occurance. When they lost in a playoff semi, the fans destroyed their own neighbourhood - burned out cars/smashed window etc. When they played Swansea the shops nearby shut at midday for a 3 o'clock kick-off and there were pitched battles up and down the streets (Milwall fans with police; Swansea fans had gone home by then).

I would have no problems with Millwall playing behind closed doors for 6-12 mths, or if you don't want to go that far don't allow them the fans to travlel (altho' not sure how this would be enforced). But then again, maybe I'm biased cause I'd have no problems with them being kicked out of the league.

N

Hang on, what league games? You mean all of Millwall's games against everyone in the first div? And/or all of West Ham's games in the PL? That's never going to happen and it doesn't need to. There's a specific rivalry between these two clubs and if they ever have to play each other again then yes, it should be done behind closed doors. Or, the FA just keep rigging the fixture list.

I didn't mean all league games, just one or two. And as a punishment, not a preventative measure.

It won't happen, of course.

I agree that there should be some serious punishments for this and the way to punish the fans is to force the clubs involved to play behind closed doors for a period.

Unfortunately I can't see the football authorities having the will to do that, especially to a Premiership team.

I agree that there should be some serious punishments for this and the way to punish the fans is to force the clubs involved to play behind closed doors for a period.

Unfortunately I can't see the football authorities having the will to do that, especially to a Premiership team.

I think this would be good but like you i don't see it happening. Like I said earlier week in week out we have no problems with the West Ham fans, last night it seems having the Millwall fans there gave some of the WH fans a chance to cause trouble. As at the moment it seems that the WH fans were the main culprits.

Jozy Altidore scored a goal in the Carling Cup against Southend yesterday. This boy has a tremendous amount of potential to be the best striker America has ever produced. He's only 19 years old. He scored against Spain the confederations cup. I've heard some interviews with him, and he sounds like a great kid with his head screwed on right.

So, watch out for Jozy, Premier League!

That makes no sense - man u lost 4 games last season and finished first. Liverpool lost 2 games and came second. Everton, who came fifth, lost 9 games

I say this because Liverpool's squad ( first 11) now is to my mind not as strong as Man U's was last year. Secondly, Man U has a history of starting poor and then doing very well at the end. Thirdly, it seems to me that Liverpool's squad lacks depth, so if they are in trouble now, it's likely they'll be so as we go deep into the season, losing valuable players, not having back-up material, and then finding yourself in 3 different leagues.

Obviously they could recover and do much better over the next few weeks. But they still look like one of the weaker contenders now.

I say this because Liverpool's squad ( first 11) now is to my mind not as strong as Man U's was last year. Secondly, Man U has a history of starting poor and then doing very well at the end. Thirdly, it seems to me that Liverpool's squad lacks depth, so if they are in trouble now, it's likely they'll be so as we go deep into the season, losing valuable players, not having back-up material, and then finding yourself in 3 different leagues.

Obviously they could recover and do much better over the next few weeks. But they still look like one of the weaker contenders now.

United haven't had a particularly impressive start either and Chelsea haven't started as impressively as they did last season. I think three games into the new seaon is a bit early to be making judgements about any team.

Jozy Altidore scored a goal in the Carling Cup against Southend yesterday. This boy has a tremendous amount of potential to be the best striker America has ever produced. He's only 19 years old. He scored against Spain the confederations cup. I've heard some interviews with him, and he sounds like a great kid with his head screwed on right.

So, watch out for Jozy, Premier League!

Yeah, will be keeping an eye on how he does this season. Nice start for the lad. Here's hoping he fares better in European than Landon Donovan did, and how Clint Mathis should've done. :uhoh:

I would have no problems with Millwall playing behind closed doors for 6-12 mths, or if you don't want to go that far don't allow them the fans to travlel (altho' not sure how this would be enforced). But then again, maybe I'm biased cause I'd have no problems with them being kicked out of the league.

N

You talking about allowing Millwall fans to go to away games, or away fans to come to the New Den? Either way I guess it would be to stop the sale of tickets to the away team - of course the fairer option there is to stop Millwall fans being allowed to visit away games. I think that could be enforced reasonably well.

Something needs to be done in any case. The idea of games behind closed doors is one that is often touted as a measure in cases such as this, but how often is it actually enforced? Perhaps the only way for it to have an effect is to make it long term? The club would be more inclined to take action because the potential losses would be catastrophic to their financial stability. Even four home games could represent a 6 to 8 week home fixture shut out, and a significant dent to the finances of the club.

I think three games into the new seaon is a bit early to be making judgements about any team.

Heck we were pre-judging teams on this board before the league even started. You yourself denounced the Man U midfield as total shit just a week ago. Speculation is all we have at this point in time, and that's all I'm doing.

Heck we were pre-judging teams on this board before the league even started. You yourself denounced the Man U midfield as total shit just a week ago.

That does sound like something I'd say but I don't think I did. :unsure:

Regardless I think the point about judging the chances of any team based on their performance in the first three games of the season remains valid.

Yeah, will be keeping an eye on how he does this season. Nice start for the lad. Here's hoping he fares better in European than Landon Donovan did, and how Clint Mathis should've done. :uhoh:

Yeah most of us are hoping his career mirrors Dempsey and McBride more than those two mentioned. Its rare to for American players to find success in the EPL. Outside the keeper position of course. Of course some American "fans" are ready to declare Jozy a failure b/c he hasn't had the success or hype of Bojan :rolleyes:

Is there a way for FIFA to start sanctioning Millwall? To death? There must be a way to kill a club the seems like a blight on the game. They seem to be a holdover from the 1980s and just never got the memo that fans riots went out of style some time ago. I just hope this doesn't effect the World Cup bid for 2018 (it shouldn't, but I'm sure some in FIFA are looking for reasons to not host it in England).

Shit night for Celtic. All started by that diving little cunt Eduardo. You've been spotted, son. Players acting like that isn't really on par with fans acting like they did last night, but it all adds to ruining the image of the game. Fucking disgrace. :angry: Get them out of football.

Archived