SG: U Spoilers

oneeye

It's intriging to me that a show that's spent so much time (one more episode before the break) on just the characters, with little to no action for the most part, keeps bringing me back.

It was an interesting episode. Though I'm almost getting a little tired of the Young/Telford stuff already...

Me too. I think its outworn its welcome if it dosen't start impacting the larger plot some time soon. I resent the whole transgalactic love rhomboid thing taking time away from plots and characters i'm actually interested in, like TJ, Greer, Eli, Rush, Wray, even sleeping around scientist and angry out of pills drill sargeant. Basically, I enjoy everything but Young/Telford and Matt/Chloe. I wish the writers didn't seem to feel the exact opposite.

How long until they break those communication stones?

Any chances of the stones being broken will only be temporary in any case. The show can't exist without some sort of contact with Earth...even if we'd like them to have something other than the stones...

Any chances of the stones being broken will only be temporary in any case. The show can't exist without some sort of contact with Earth...

Why not? Voyager did fine for years, as did other, arguably better "you can never go home again" spaceship shows with even more limited casts - Farscape, Andromeda - though admittedly they all had aliens of the week.

Perhaps I should have said: The show's underlying concept cannot exist without some sort of contact with Earth. The certainly worked out all issues with Atlantis being in another galaxy, yet it was capable of having cast memeber go home or having the ability to get guest stars out to Pegasus.

That's the Stargate way. :P

I have a nitpick. There are automated ships traveling ahead of destiny seeding planets with stargates, right? They've been traveling and building stargates for at least a Million years. The materials needed to build a stargate are not found in the everyday environment I assume. Therefore, I must ask with what materials are Stargates being constructed and how are these ships resuppling themselves with these materials?

I have a nitpick. There are automated ships traveling ahead of destiny seeding planets with stargates, right? They've been traveling and building stargates for at least a Million years. The materials needed to build a stargate are not found in the everyday environment I assume. Therefore, I must ask with what materials are Stargates being constructed and how are these ships resuppling themselves with these materials?

Stargates are made out of a super-heavy element called naqahdah (sp?), which is supposed to be a fairly rare element.

I would assume that the seeding ship locates deposits of the element on route, much like the Destiny does with necessary supplies, then proceeds to mine them, and continue on with its mission.

To be honest, it doesn't seem like something that the creators of this franchise would have thought of it, but it can easily be explained away (as you said) by saying that the Ancients launched the seeder ship thousands upon thousands of years ahead of the Destiny. There's also the possibility that the sister ship started off with a hold full of thousands of Stargates, and just searched for viable planets to put them. Once there, it can just stop, find a good spot, beam the Gate and DHD down to the surface, and get the hell outta dodge.

Heh, yeah, I don't think the creators really thought that far ahead in deciding exactly how the Destiny seeded the galaxy. It could be either of those possibilities or a combination of both.

Me three on the Young/Telford thing. Putting aside whether the show could work without the link to home (Farscape yes, Voyager no :P ), using the communication stones is starting to get boring. Either do something interesting with it or drop the whole thing. Pretty good episode overall, showing the psychological effects on the characters. I do hope they get to some action soon though.

I'm thinking that with the Communication stones, one of the following is going to happen:

* Someone gets "stuck" in the wrong body

** As a subtrope, somoene gets killed while body-switched.

* People's memories starts to bleed over (which already seems to happen)

On the point of the seeder ships, it could just have well been that seeder ships were sent individually to galaxies, while the Destiny has travelled to various galaxies itself, stopping at each to collect data. From the opening episodes Air, we know that Destiny has been hopping from galaxy to galaxy. If multiple seeder ships were sent on direct routes to different galaxies, they could have arrived long, long before Destiny, and spent the time that they were waiting for it to catch up mining before heading to another galaxy 3-4 in front of the main ship.

ETA: This differs from LooN's theory in that Destiny and 3-4 seed ships could have all been launched at once, rather than many thousands of years apart. Each seed ship has a load of gates, each seed ship offloads gates in their galaxy, pausing to make more & so on... while Destiny is in the same galaxy as one seed ship (say ship A). Destiny has to wait maybe a little bit of time for ship A to finish in that galaxy, and spends time collecting data or whatever. While they are finishing in their galaxy, ships B, C, and D are seeding other galaxies. Destiny finishes up in ship A's galaxy and proceeds to ship B's galaxy. Ship A launches to galaxy E, and B, C, and D head towards galaxies F, G, and H.

This can work for as few as two seeder ships as well; I just first thought of it as several.

This felt like the weakest episode so far. For me, the focus felt wrong. The tantalising prospect of the chair plus Rush's false hope should have been more center stage, with TJ's Amateur Psyche Hour and teh Young Family Drama as annoying side plots.

Also, forced PE on rations sounds like a stupid idea. I wouldn't do it.

And of course Chloe does yoga. OF COURSE. She inspires burning, seething hate in me.

Also, forced PE on rations sounds like a stupid idea. I wouldn't do it.

And of course Chloe does yoga. OF COURSE. She inspires burning, seething hate in me.

I KNOW! Good grief, the character should have a point already. I'm willing to go with spoiled daddy's girl discovering she's actually not all that though.

I'm not sure they're actually on short rations - my impression was the sludge they're eating is nutritionally all they need, just gross.

Finally caught up on this show. I've been perpetually an episode or two behind so couldn't partake in the discussion.

The show is interesting in a way (I've never watched Stargate aside from the movie), but with how things are going it really isn't giving me an incentive to make it a need to watch show. That's probably why I've been slow on keeping up with it, and don't really anticipate a new episode every week. It's more like "oh, my DVR recorded the new SG:U on Friday, I should watch that, eventually." Although I do have to say I appreciate the writers' resistance to taking the easy way out and solving all their problems so they could introduce an antagonist sooner. So I'm stuck between being a little bored and appreciative.

Archived