SG: U Spoilers

oneeye

so what did you guys think?

I like the story and Dr. Rush is kind of creepy cool.

The rest of the characters are not inspiring so far.

the guest appearances from prior stars were a lot shorter than expected

I'll give the creators credit as it was barely recognisable as a Stargate show. The music, direction and general feel of the show had a lot more in common with BSG than previous Atargate installments. I think they would have been better avoiding the cameos as they didn't gel with the new style.

The show is so different that I'd say i'm disappointed that it didn't feel like stargate, as it was always harmless fun. This has the potential to be something different especially with Robert Carlyle playing a dubious character.

It still feels a little bit like "syfy" has tried to make this as popular as possible by channeling BSG and borrowing "House MD" as the lead. I'm still really interested to see whether they can keep up this new tone for the SG:U and as long as they are billions of light years away it shouldn't jar with the other parts of the franchise. Some of the characters looked a bit like other famous people too; Eli was a ringer for the guy from Superbad and the senators daughter kept reminding me of Summer Glau. What happened to Lou diamond Philips though? He was barely in it and I don't recall seeing him on board "Destiny" (the only time i saw him was in one of the fighter jets)

A good relaunch and more of a departure already than atlantis was from SG-1.

I may stop as soon as they visit a planet with a medieval village community speaking english though ;)

Just saw it on Hulu. Yes, they're definitely trying to channel BSG, though when I first heard about it I thought more Star Trek: Voyager. And did anyone else get a Last Starfighter vibe from Eli?

I have no idea how this is going to turn out. I agree that it feels different from the older shows, but that won't necessarily make it better. How long before they start running into completely human-looking characters who speak unaccented English?

the senators daughter kept reminding me of Summer Glau. What happened to Lou diamond Philips though?

The senator's daughter reminded me more of the girl from Juno. Lou Diamond Phillips died, I think before they went through the gate.

I may stop as soon as they visit a planet with a medieval village community speaking english though ;)
Oh come one. Even Stargate SG-1 has made self-parodying comments about this phenomenon. But could you imagine how many viewers they would lose if every planet they encountered forced them to decipher the oral language prior to the plot being able to move forward?

And did anyone else get a Last Starfighter vibe from Eli?
Yep.

Oh come one. Even Stargate SG-1 has made self-parodying comments about this phenomenon. But could you imagine how many viewers they would lose if every planet they encountered forced them to decipher the oral language prior to the plot being able to move forward?

It was fun in the other shows but yes it is now very cliche, maybe even moreso than Star trek, and would feel like they are going back to the tried and tested format. A little bit like how the last Bond film was easing the quips and gadgets back in.

I'm looking forward to the episode where 2-3 members of the crew get stuck in a cave or something with only hours to get back to the Desting before its next jump :)

It will be interesting to see if this installment of the franchise will be more arc driven. I think one of the things that made SG-1 a success was its "watch whenever you want" format, although it became really annoying in Atlantis. A balance would be nice.

I really appreciated the creators going for something different with this. If it had been as similar to Atlantis as Atlantis was to SG-1, there really would have been no point in cancelling Atlantis in the first place. While I liked the previous two iterations ability not to take themselves so seriously, I don't mind some of that lacking if they can take this show interesting places. Besides, I don't remember there being much joking around in the first episode of SG-1.

Character-wise, Rush could be interesting but seems a little bit schizophrenic in his characterisation. I liked Eli and liked Scott, but I wasn't too keen on the rest of the characters. But I'll give it time - this show hasn't got itself into a rhythm yet and until I know what a normal episode is going to be like and how the characters are going to react once the shock wears off, I can't really tell how it's going to work.

Overall I'm optimistic - I liked it better than I thought I would. Hopefully they'll get the mix right and we'll end up with a watchable show on our hands.

It reminded me so very much of Voyager.

Accidentally rocketed into the far reaches of the universe with no idea where they are, immediate need for rationing, and a long journey home. Will they reach Earth before the series ends (cancelled)?

I got 'The Last Starfighter' vibe, too. I'm acutally surprised we don't see more of that in the sci-fi genre.

I enjoyed some of the characterizations and I liked that it all occured in less that 24 hours. Some of the characters are wooden and boring, some have enough interest to keep me interested.

For the most part, it was fun. At least, enough for me to want to see the next episode and see where the series goes. It really is too hard to tell whether its a pass or fail just yet.

It reminded me so very much of DS9.

I take it you meant Star trek:voyager?

There's an element of that but it's far more BSG in execution. I'm reminded of the first season where they were having to constantly jump, or the one where they were desperately seeking water. A future episode of SGU is called water and may be covering a similar topic.

It reminded me so very much of Voyager.

Accidentally rocketed into the far reaches of the universe with no idea where they are, immediate need for rationing, and a long journey home. Will they reach Earth before the series ends (cancelled)?

I got 'The Last Starfighter' vibe, too. I'm acutally surprised we don't see more of that in the sci-fi genre.

I enjoyed some of the characterizations and I liked that it all occured in less that 24 hours. Some of the characters are wooden and boring, some have enough interest to keep me interested.

For the most part, it was fun. At least, enough for me to want to see the next episode and see where the series goes. It really is too hard to tell whether its a pass or fail just yet.

ETA:

Yes, Voyager. It's Monday morning and I'm getting my Starbucks on the way into the office in a few.

If people want to continue such simplistic comparisons, I'd say it was like Voyager with Baltar trying to take command from Apollo and Roy Fokker, Trillian chasing after adventure, and a fat Quinn Mallory learning he is NOT the Last Starfighter, but at least he gets to play with the toys.

So basically not like Voyager at all.

I just hope we don't get any fucking Kazons.

If people want to continue such simplistic comparisons, I'd say it was like Voyager with Baltar trying to take command from Apollo and Roy Fokker, Trillian chasing after adventure, and a fat Quinn Mallory learning he is NOT the Last Starfighter, but at least he gets to play with the toys.

So basically not like Voyager at all.

I just hope we don't get any fucking Kazons.

Or fucking Neelix. I'd managed to block that atrocity from my mind until it was dredged back up by mentions of the Kazons.

I wonder if SGU will pull a Voyager and decide to have the borg/replicators that far out in the universe if ratings look wobblly? They already did it with Atlantis.

There needs to be some kind of long term enemy beyond the ship's inhospitability to sustain the show as it progresses. But what form should it take?

For me the best villains in Stargate were the Ori. Would love it if they went with something vaguely along those lines (but not an exact copy, of course). I don't know if it's feasible, but something I'd thought of: a multi-galaxy spanning race that had some kind of irrational/deep set hatred for the Ancients (territorial, perhaps? - The Ancients dropped Stargates/terraformed us, if we find some more we're going to kill them!)

I hope they have the courage to go with something completely new, because the one thing I felt Atlantis always lacked was a strong/interesting villain (except for perhaps Michael, but even he got a little stale after re-hashing the ethics of his creation so many times...). Bringing back the Replicators showed a distinct lack of imagination.

Sir Thursday

There needs to be some kind of long term enemy beyond the ship's inhospitability to sustain the show as it progresses. But what form should it take?

For me the best villains in Stargate were the Ori. Would love it if they went with something vaguely along those lines (but not an exact copy, of course). I don't know if it's feasible, but something I'd thought of: a multi-galaxy spanning race that had some kind of irrational/deep set hatred for the Ancients (territorial, perhaps? - The Ancients dropped Stargates/terraformed us, if we find some more we're going to kill them!)

I hope they have the courage to go with something completely new, because the one thing I felt Atlantis always lacked was a strong/interesting villain (except for perhaps Michael, but even he got a little stale after re-hashing the ethics of his creation so many times...). Bringing back the Replicators showed a distinct lack of imagination.

Sir Thursday

It's going to be tricky for them as you could argue a universe-spanning threat is a little bit like the wraith - especially if the new enemy wants to get to our galaxy and take names. Then again pretty much every sci-fi enemy fits that bill.

I like your idea about the terraforming thing - in that you could have an enemy that isn't really evil eg they are just trying to protect themselves from the ships like destiny fucking things up (inadvertently?) by dropping stargates at their front doors. They could try and take down "destiny" as a form of self-defense but the cast would have no choice but to stop them.

A bit of freefall thinking here; how about having an evil race of aliens who have conquered a huge chunk of the universe, thanks to the anceint's stargate seeding? This could tie-in with the antagonists above somehow.

One way of them having some "humans" in the show would be to have Destiny not just seeding stargates but also dumping genetic seeds (like in search for spock) as part of the terraforming you suggested.

Well lol at RDA, jesus who ate all the pies!

I am still pissed they cancelled Atlantis though.

I hope they have some more alien aliens.

If they are no longer in the Milky Way galaxy or Pegasus they will need a new excuses as to why there are barely any freakin Aliens and just multiple humans.

I am suprised as to how the freakin Lucian Alliance who are a bunch of Gangstas are in open war with the SGC.

I finally got to see this today. It's similar to the other Stargate shows, yet different at the same time. I didn't really get a BSG feel, though the Voyager bit certainly popped into my head. I hope they get nowhere near as bad as that. The autopilot opening a wormhole felt a little deus ex machina, but I won't mind as long as they can make it interesting or doable. The only characters that really stood for me where Rush and Eli, but hey, it's only the first episode.

What happened to Lou diamond Philips though? He was barely in it and I don't recall seeing him on board "Destiny" (the only time i saw him was in one of the fighter jets)
Lou Diamond Phillips died, I think before they went through the gate.

He was also in the scene welcoming Eli and the senator to the base as well as at the dinner. I don't think he died in the dogfight. Carter said they took on all the fighters and people they could so I assume they have him too. The editing was sloppy here because he's supposed to be a major character and they don't show what happens to him.

A bit of freefall thinking here; how about having an evil race of aliens who have conquered a huge chunk of the universe, thanks to the anceint's stargate seeding? This could tie-in with the antagonists above somehow.

One way of them having some "humans" in the show would be to have Destiny not just seeding stargates but also dumping genetic seeds (like in search for spock) as part of the terraforming you suggested.

I don't know. That sounds an awful lot like the Wraith. The Ancients show up in Pegasus, run into a few of those life-sucking bugs. Fast forward several eons and the Wraith evolve to adapt their technology, steal their life energy, and take over the galaxy.

They undoubtedly will have an enemy as all the Stargate shows have had them. We'll have to see what they come up with.

Despite appearances, Lou Diamond Philips is not a major character, he is just a guest star. According to IMDB he is in 7 episodes. I think on the wikipedia article (iirc) it says his character's fighter was picked up by the Hammond, so he is alive.

The first 3 episodes are called "Air", then comes "Darkness", "Light", "Water", and then "Earth". The rest of the episodes have similar one word titles.

I'm guessing there will be extensive flashbacks to when all these characters were back on Earth or at least in the Milky Way.

Archived