Board Notes

Ran

There seems to have been a problem with the conversion of ignore information, and some borders seem to have gotten the ignore lists of other users .... or something. It's baffling. Just clear them. :)

*this is not intended as mean-a-tude

I LOVE the way the ignore feature works now!!! I had put a couple of people on ignore due to offensive or inappropriate (to me) avatar choices, but imagine my dismay when they were still displayed!! I also got into trouble because I'd put someone who brought out the worst in me on ignore, yet their posts showed in the thread just like any other posts, but with the you ignored this person text. It was far too easy and tempting to click the view this post link, and invariably I'd just *have* to reply.

This new board is even better at defending itself!!

There seems to have been a problem with the conversion of ignore information, and some borders seem to have gotten the ignore lists of other users .... or something. It's baffling. Just clear them. :)

That is far funnier than it should be. LOL

I've removed the 'Interests' box from showing up in topic view. Since it was a long text field, some people used it to the full, and it was Not Good for topic viewing. So now we've just got Location.

Regarding the addition of chat, we know smilies aren't working there either. Will sort that out at some point. We're still not sure why emoticons are not working on the forum.

I like the changes so far. I think it might be a bit 'bright' but other than that it seems quite nice.

I too had a mysterious addition to my ignore list though I've never used the function. It was actually kind of funny because of who it turned out to be...

Just a quick note: I'm fine with a commentary about specific features, but addressing how people choose or don't choose to use some of those tools is not very constructive. It's getting a bit too meta. :)

I just have a possibly dumb question: whats the difference between "guest" and "anonymous user", as listed in the "currently browsing thread/forum"?

And, on a tangent - Of the boards 15k odd memebers, just over half have even 1 post to their name. Is this 'active posts', ie, ones still around? Becuase otherwise I cant figure out why 7000 people signed up for something they never did.

Some may have signed up just to lurk more easily, I suppose.

Anonymous users are those who choose to login "anonymously" -- they're logged in, but their name does not show up in the legend in the footer listing all online members.

I just have a possibly dumb question: whats the difference between "guest" and "anonymous user", as listed in the "currently browsing thread/forum"?

I assume a guest is someone who is not logged-in to the forum (either they're not a member of they haven't signed in) and an anonymous user is a member who is signed in but has chosen an option that their username won't show up in the list of people reading the forum/thread.

Some may have signed up just to lurk more easily, I suppose.

Yes. There are two major benefits: cookies which record which posts you've read so you can use 'view new posts' which greatly enhances the reading experience. Secondly you can see avatars.

Some people might sign up intending to reply in a particular thread, but by the time they get validated the time and inclination has passed...

We also have a handful who sign up just to play mafia (it's a prerequisite of joining the mafia board), but their posts, if they make any out of game alt, don't count because it's Forum Games.

I like that the new format hides the ignored users better, making the temptation to reading them anyway easier to resist by not noticing them there at all. Any word on when the Targaryen skin is going to be up and running? That one looked the best.

Thanks Ran for arranging the return of the emoticons.

Just want to test some here:

:devil: :frown5: ^_^ :rolleyes: <_< :ph34r: :closedeyes: :excl:

(a little miscellaneous, but I think we have a good range of expressions there. I liked the old smaller smiley and frownie, but these will do)

Most happy to see :grouphug: again :)

First of all: Thanks to Linda and Ran for their hard work. :)

I'm slowly getting used to the new look and the new features of the board.

I, too, had members on ignore that I hadn't put there. Just removed them, as suggested.

I'm just wondering how I can have more active posts than total posts? In my profile it says 557 active posts, and the post count in a post as shown to the left is 311. :huh:

Do the posts in Forum Games go into the active posts count? I don't have another explanation. (If it was mentioned before in this thread I must have over-read it :blush:)

Archived