Board Notes

Ran

That may be a configurable issue, or maybe something that can be edited. I will look into it. :)

ETA: Indeed it is. I have configured it to have links open in a new window or tab.

Ack! I don't know what those acronyms are. What exactly did you do to make this happen? I want it!

Go to this link, scroll down towards the button and there's a checkbox to enable the RTE editor (sorry, was using the wrong acronym. Most boards refer to the full-featured editor as an MCE editor).

That may be a configurable issue, or maybe something that can be edited. I will look into it. :)

ETA: Indeed it is. I have configured it to have links open in a new window or tab.

Awesome, thanks! :) It's working for me.

ETA: Hmmm, seems to work with some links but not for others. Odd.

Profile photos are available only if you associate your account with Facebook Connect. Then you can use your Facebook profile photo. Instructions are here.

Hm...

Ok, I've been stalking Limecat's profile (sorry, you were just the first person I thought of who had used this feature) and trying to figure out whether connecting the two would actually link my Facebook profile from the board anywhere or put my real name on the board. Because I don't want that happening; I'm a bit leery of connecting my online personas too much. Not that I don't trust people on the board. Lots of people here know my name. I've just never published it directly on the board and would prefer not to. So maybe when you're done with everything else, you can expand on what exactly having Facebook Connect does, if it's just limited to using the profile pic.

So far as I'm aware, Facebook Connect does nothing as far as advertising the direct connection between your Facebook account and yourself. Your names does not show up (if you sign up for an account using Facebook Connect, then it will use your name as your display name and that will always be a part of your display name history).

It's just a protocol to allow people to log in with a single login, basically -- if you're on Facebook, any site that supports Facebook connect will let you join. Facebook Connect provides the board with the URL to your profile picture on their servers, which is why it shows up here. But you don't have to have that feature on, if you don't want.

Awesome, thanks! :) It's working for me.

ETA: Hmmm, seems to work with some links but not for others. Odd.

N.B. As far as I can tell, links to other posts/threads on the board navigate on this page, while other websites (even the nonforum parts of westeros.org) open a new tab. Further bulletins as events warrant, and all that.

ETA: Further bulletin, this isn't the case; I've clicked on a Youtube link that navigated directly.

This isn't really a board issue, just a comment on the sidebar layout. I often read the sidebar to see when the blog has been updated/the latest news. But right now, with no breaks between each link (in all the sidebars) it just looks like all the text is one giant paragraph run together. Is there a way to add paragraph breaks or bullets to separate them out? (I'm running Firefox.)

ETA: Also, I like the new color scheme with the pinkish(?) background, looks better than the default light blue with the parchment.

This isn't really a board issue, just a comment on the sidebar layout. I often read the sidebar to see when the blog has been updated/the latest news. But right now, with no breaks between each link (in all the sidebars) it just looks like all the text is one giant paragraph run together. Is there a way to add paragraph breaks or bullets to separate them out? (I'm running Firefox.)

ETA: Also, I like the new color scheme with the pinkish(?) background, looks better than the default light blue with the parchment.

Yes, we used to have bullets in place to separate them, but the board's CSS is eating them and we haven't quite figured out why.

And thanks, we'll be switching everything to a complimentary light beige/tan from the light blue. Should have more or less the same level of contrast, but be more in tune with the rest of the site design.

As folks can see by how long it's taking to sort out these colors, there's like a hundred different places where colors are defined, and in most cases Linda has to go through them one by one, figure out what they are, and change them accordingly.

And on a separate note, no one has remarked on our new Spoiler button. I made the tiny radiocative warning myself by hand! :P

Archived