Board Notes

Ran

In case anyone else has the same problem; The facebook connect thingy doesn't exist when I use Chrome, but shows up in Firefox.

Yep.

Edit...

Woops. I read this wrong. I thought you were asking if others had the same issue. I do. I just checked it out in IE. FB Connect shows up fine for that.

Thanks for all your hard work, R & L!

I like how every thing feels faster and slicker. I'm also a big fan of some of the profile stats - e.g., I like that it gives a little stat for what section I post in the most (BwB forum, 188 posts!). It does make me sad that for my gender there is a PINK symbol, though ;)

Hopefully Ran you can get the location info so that it displays under people's avatars. That was always one of the things I always glanced at.

I am a big fan of the posting/replying interface, like the 'preview post', awesome. Although I still don't know what the hell I am doing.

I do have to say that the white background really, really bothers my eyes. To the effect that I don't think I could spend as much time on the board. Maybe I am exaggerating. But it hurts us.

Edit: I must be moronic because I can't get the spoiler code to work.

Hopefully Ran you can get the location info so that it displays under people's avatars. That was always one of the things I always glanced at.

The location info seems to showing up now. On a similar note, I'm not sure if there's really any benefit to displaying the 'interests' under people's avatars, whilst most people apparently haven't filled it out, for those that have I'm not sure I really need a 10-line summary of what sort of things they like displayed every time they make a post - in the unlikely the event I want to know that information I can always look at their profile anyway. It does seem slightly odd to have 'interests' info displayed which in some cases will be longer than the actual posts. It's a minor issue, but I thought I'd mention it since I don't think anyone else has yet.

Anyway, overall I like most of the overhauled board. I did like the old colour scheme, but the new one is fine and some aspects of posting seem a bit slicker. Not convinced by the reputation system, though, I don't really see any benefit to it.

Yes, I've had to use a built-in method for getting Location in right now, but that's also pulling in interests. Can't do anything about it at the moment until I figure out an alternative way of getting hold of location information... Hrm, I think the old skin and wrapper info I have may help with that. We'll see. It'll be a bit.

Ran and Linda, thanks for all the hard work! The board looks pretty good and I like a lot of the changes.

I do want to chime in as another vote for a darker background option. The white is pretty hard on my eyes, though that won't stop me from getting my board fix.

Change! ACK! CHANGE!!!!

No. Seriously. It does look good and I'm in awe that things like this can even be done. Bravo!

Eventually, I think I'll figure out how to use how all the newer stuff works...just in time for the next upgrade. :p

hahaha, all the comments about the brightness (including mine own) makes sense since we're all pale skinned basement dwellers and everything. :-P

PS Love having the data back under our avs! W00t!!1 You guys soooo rock!

Thank you Ran and Linda, for all the hard work. And This snazzy new board.

As for the +/- Rep votes. I think it could be a good thing.

There have often been posts that are great. intelligent, well thought out and stated. Have me laughing out loud or have given me serious food for thought. But they get lost among the other posts, seemingly without recognition.

I've always wished there was a way to show my appreciation. Without quoting them and giving a "this" Thumbsup or laughing emoticon. And disrupting the flow of conversation.

And for this reason I would like my votes upped from the limit of 5 :)

I can't even fathom giving a negative vote. If a persons post is disagreeable or offensive. I'll either argue my point or skip over their post.

I liked the old color scheme far better, but we will see.

Random question: Why do the member numbers have no comma while the post counts do?

Because the member number is a discrete piece of data, its not technically a number. For example, social security numbers are not formatted with commas even though they are numbers. I would imagine the member number would have some sort of formatting for ease of use if it were to become very long, but thats not needed now.

Post counts are being used as a true number, so commas are appropriate for them.

Ahh. Active posts would be posts still on the forum, while post count includes all posts ever made -- including posts deleted in my semi-irregular pruning frenzies (which we're about due for, as we're at about 822,000 posts...)

Ahh. I was wondering about this. But if active posts are the posts still on the board and the post count under our avatar is the sum of our posts, how come my Active post number in my profile page is 150 or so more than my Total Post count (3,312 to 3,161)? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Color me confused, again.

It's nice to see the Location listed again, thanks.

So many good changes in just a few hours! I can't imagine how hard you guys must have worked! Thank you for explaining the changes and listening to our imput, too. It means a lot to me that our community is ruled by the opposite of faceless overlords.

Now I just need to read that "avatar uploading" info. again, and the board will feel like home.

snow "

holy crap, I'll finally know how to use these! Thanks again Ran and Linda!

"leo

Could you please explain how you did this? I still haven't figured it out.

When replying, click the dropdown box right under the word post (left side), choose spoiler, type in the spoiler text and then click ok.

and bob is your uncle!

When replying, click the dropdown box right under the word post (left side), choose spoiler, type in the spoiler text and then click ok.

and bob is your uncle!

Bob can't be my uncle, he's my creepy Step-Father-In-Law

Thanks Ro! :)

Many thanks to Ran & Linda, their hard work is much appreciated.

On the topic of skins: If they ever get considered, I would like to add a vote for the old Targaryen skin. White on black is the best color scheme, hands down.

A question: Going through the threads, I saw that some of the posts were hidden, which was surprising, since I never put people on ignore. So, I went to my profile to check and I saw that three people were on ignore: Stego, Kalbear and Shryke. :lol:

Is that a default option that comes with the update? :p

Archived