get rid of the post rating feature.

一方通行

Is a -1 "vitriol"? Is a -1 perhaps better than having a thread taken up with derision or vitriol? An interesting question.

Once usage settles down to more normal patterns, we'll evaluate it. So far, people are still mostly clicking for the snarky fun of it.

Ran,

Is a -1 "vitriol"? Is a -1 perhaps better than having a thread taken up with derision or vitriol? An interesting question.

Once usage settles down to more normal patterns, we'll evaluate it. So far, people are still mostly clicking for the snarky fun of it.

A -1 isn't vitrol. Making sure you can ding the same person more than once a day, for nothing more than the sake of dinging them, is vitriol, in my opinion.

Anything that detracts even in small part from the erudite and scholarly derision that is a hallmark of this community is a bad thing. ;)

Being the subject of just such vitriol, then, I have to say it feels fine. Because I know what it's about, and so it doesn't matter really. Seeing cases where the ratings are being used fairly appropriately, on the other hand, I'm feeling like they are adding something. (Just a preliminary feeling, that -- I'm not making a judgment as to whether we keep it or not based on isolated circumstances. More data needed.)

Ran,

Being the subject of just such vitriol, then, I have to say it feels fine. Because I know what it's about, and so it doesn't matter really. Seeing cases where the ratings are being used fairly appropriately, on the other hand, I'm feeling like they are adding something. (Just a preliminary feeling, that -- I'm not making a judgment as to whether we keep it or not based on isolated circumstances. More data needed.)

You're obviously being hit with a ton of snark.

However, consider, if someone is new to the board and sees a poster with a negative rating, what are they going to immediately think about that poster? It's an easy way to demean people you don't like without consequense because the person being demeaned has no way to prove any individual or group of individuals is responsible for their loss of reputation.

Ahahahahaha. I didn't do it, but I just realized that we can neg the bejesus out of the mods whenever they come into a thread and tell us all to act like adults.

If possible, maybe that option should be turned off for mods, or you should all learn to love your negative ratings.

Or, alternatively, we could just actually all act like grown ups.

Ahahahahaha. I didn't do it, but I just realized that we can neg the bejesus out of the mods whenever they come into a thread and tell us all to act like adults.

We could do the same for posters who do that too. Hehehehehe :leaving:

If possible, maybe that option should be turned off for mods, or you should all learn to love your negative ratings.

The best would perhaps be if it was possible to make "mod" posts distinguished from regular posts from mods.

Or, alternatively, we could just actually all act like grown ups.

That's a hit below the belt. I'd thought better of you Raidne.

Good point Iceman.

Also, can we change the names? "Lawful good" is weak sauce. It makes me sound like a Kevin Costner character. I want anything over 20 to be "Universally Agreed to be F*ing Awesome."

Also, can we change the names? "Lawful good" is weak sauce. It makes me sound like a Kevin Costner character. I want anything over 20 to be "Universally Agreed to be F*ing Awesome."

Seconded!

And it's more accurate anyways. The reputation system is a popularity contest more than it indicates adherence to the rules and regs of the board. :P I guess 'Chaotic good' wouldn't be too bad at least.

Ser Scot,

Now, you can ding someone without exposing yourself to responsive derision or being reported to a mod for your vitriol.

Isn't that better, though? If someone quotes you and takes you to the woodshed on your every article, preposition and comma, to say nothing of your ideas, that's tough to ignore.

Somebody gives you a -1 ... Are you even necessarily going to notice?

As such, I think the system actually stands the chance of reducing vitriol. Certainly, I don't see how it contributes.

Archived