get rid of the post rating feature.

Been reading the Secret Documents again, minion? No worries, I have already set aside funds for your chased gold and ruby-encrusted codpiece and nipple shields. Only the best for my flying henchmonkeys, certes. :smoking:

It's like dating Elton John all over again.

Edit: Stupid emotes *mutters angrily and curses the gods*

I've been reading your posts hearing the voice of the MCP. It's awesome. :D

There are times (OK, almost all of the time) when I wish to could actually be a red cone of light with giant eyeballs, roving around the office, glaring at coworkers, and pronouncing their punishments in that awful voice.

Yagathai,

I think you are correct. If you offer an opinion that runs counter to "popular" opinion you're reputation is going to be voted down, not based on the content of your posts, but based upon the opinion offered. That's not the way this should work, but it is very natural for people to hit the -1 button when they disagree with an opinion.

I'm going with Xray's method. I'm going to ignore the +/- button from now on.

There are times (OK, almost all of the time) when I wish to could actually be a red cone of light with giant eyeballs, roving around the office, glaring at coworkers, and pronouncing their punishments in that awful voice.

I will be very sad when David Warner dies. I don't know who will succeed him as British Utility Villain.

I'm just a bit confused as to what the ratings are for. If I hit the negative button on a post, am I saying that I disagree with what's written, or am I saying that the post itself is somehow offensive in my opinion, or am I saying that it's just unhelpful? I think I'd probably avoid using the negative button for that very reason.

Also, is there any way to find out which of your posts have been given a rating, other than by just going through all your recent posts to try to track them down? I'm currently at +1, but the only post of mine I've spotted with a rating was a negative one. I'm sure I could find out which one got a positive rating, but I don't really have that kind of time.

I'm just a bit confused as to what the ratings are for. If I hit the negative button on a post, am I saying that I disagree with what's written, or am I saying that the post itself is somehow offensive in my opinion, or am I saying that it's just unhelpful? I think I'd probably avoid using the negative button for that very reason.

Any, all or none of the above. Receiving a negative means you have been sent a very vague message. Someone on the board dislikes some aspect of your post; poor grammar, eccentric spelling, sloppy reasoning, abrupt tone, unsound assumptions, you, unwelcome opinions. etc etc and etc.

Also, is there any way to find out which of your posts have been given a rating, other than by just going through all your recent posts to try to track them down? I'm currently at +1, but the only post of mine I've spotted with a rating was a negative one. I'm sure I could find out which one got a positive rating, but I don't really have that kind of time.

The quickest way would be to click find posts on your profile page but that would still entail checking each post individually I think.

Any, all or none of the above. Receiving a negative means you have been sent a very vague message. Someone on the board dislikes some aspect of your post; poor grammar, eccentric spelling, sloppy reasoning, abrupt tone, unsound assumptions, you, unwelcome opinions. etc etc and etc.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm not sure how helpful that is, really. If the purpose of the negative rating is to indicate that there's something aboutyour posting format that is making other people unhappy, it's not necessarily going to be at all easy to alter that if you don't know why they chose to give you a negative rating.

I have no clue what was the issue with the negative rating I have so far, so I can't do much about it! Could be any of the above reasons, or just someone testing out the feature. Who knows? :dunno:

The quickest way would be to click find posts on your profile page but that would still entail checking each post individually I think.

That's the only way I've found so far, but it's kinda time consuming, if it's not one of the really recent ones. Ah well, not to worry. I can live with it :)

Usotsuki,

Receiving a negative means you have been sent a very vague message. Someone on the board dislikes some aspect of your post; poor grammar, eccentric spelling, sloppy reasoning, abrupt tone, unsound assumptions, you, unwelcome opinions. etc etc and etc.

Hence, many of us are not happy with the new feature. The very vaugeness of it makes it unhelpful. Further, some can use it to anonymously abuse those they simply dislike.

I have no clue what was the issue with the negative rating I have so far, so I can't do much about it! Could be any of the above reasons, or just someone testing out the feature. Who knows? :dunno:

I don't expect to ever use the negative button, if I truly dislike a post for any reason I like to let people know why in considerable, some would say excessive, detail. ;)

Usotsuki,

Hence, many of us are not happy with the new feature. The very vaugeness of it makes it unhelpful. Further, some can use it to anonymously abuse those they simply dislike.

well that's the way i was going to use it, but then again I'm not very shy in letting those I dislike know... :P

N

After careful (6 second) consideration, here's my .02 on the post rating system. First of all, I doubt I'll even give this system a second thought after posting this. Second, I prefer our traditional means of rating posts: Polite virtual applause for good posts, stalking those who write excellent posts and streaming mountains of dehumanizing snark for disagreeable posts. Call me old school, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There's a mod that allows PM notification if someone rates a post -- it provides no identifying details, just links to the post and states whether it was a plus or minus. Things could get really spammy, really quickly, though, it seems to me with a mod like that..

Ran,

There's a mod that allows PM notification if someone rates a post -- it provides no identifying details, just links to the post and states whether it was a plus or minus. Things could get really spammy, really quickly, though, it seems to me with a mod like that..

That does sound "spammy". What bothers me more than anything is the anonymous nature of the +/- feature. As Quothe points out pre-(+/-) you needed to actually say something, or PM someone, to express derision. Now, you can ding someone without exposing yourself to responsive derision or being reported to a mod for your vitriol.

Archived