get rid of the post rating feature.

Sorry man. Need to find my in box. I know it is here somewhere :P

Does anyone else find it funny that Ran has a -20 reputation as of today? I don't see this system staying around too long :P

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you have encountered much racism, especially not racism that affected you. My daughter is Black so I am very disgusted and enraged at racists. If it were me they hated I could handle that, but for fucktards hating on my baby because she is Black? They can't die fast enough. And the demolishing of the idiot posts was a straight up pile on. It was NOT reasoned debate by any means.

I have encountered a lot of racism, unfortunately (it's rather pervasive where I live at the moment). But you're right that I haven't encountered a lot of racism directed at me. I know that surge of anger and protectiveness one can get when someone you love is attacked (I'm sure that is multiplied by several factors of 10 when it is your child). :grouphug:

So I just wanted to say that I was referring to low-level racism (well, all low level forms of prejudice). The 'I am not racist but...' type, or even the RT type. This is the most common, and hence insidious. Human psychology does tend to result in all sorts of xenophobic prejudices, which can even exist below the level of consciousness (not defending them here, just pointing out how easily they arise and how ingrained they can be). I'm a humanist, but know I have prejudices which could do with being weeded out. One of the things I like about this board is that people make what they think are innocuous statements, which are not at all innocuous to other boarders, who point out the assumptions they are making, and it may be the first time their attention is drawn to the implications in such detail and with such passion.

(Don't know what thread you are referring to with the 'pile-up' - I am talking generally about all sorts of threads on all sorts of topics (racism was just an example) over the time I have belonged to the board)

I would want the mods to deal with anyone who made statements of hate. Lines are hard to draw, but I would want the board to be free of statements which feel like harassment, while allowing people to be able to air their views as honestly as possible if they do not intend to cause offence, even if those views might be repugnant to a few/some/many/most boarders. If the intention is not to offend, then I think it's useful for that person to understand why people might nevetheless be offended, and to have a reasoned discussion about it. That's why I am not sure why I would ever want to use a negative vote.

Maybe it's just a personality difference, but I would rather we try and argue (even with a 0.0001% chance of changing someone's mind), than leave them out there in RL where we can't do anything at all.

But to get back to the main topic, there's clearly a lot of people who are not using their votes in the intended fashion. Kind of like crying wolf, all these frivolous/mild negative votes will reduce the impact of any voting for actually destructive-though-not-report-worthy* posts.

* still waiting for a few more definitions of what those might be.

Lies. People are using their votes to vote for me, just as intended.

I really think negative votes should require a comment.

Damn cowards who can vote and no one know who did it had me down to zero at one point today. :rolleyes:

I find it rather stupid that people can do that for no reason at all. *is glad I am having a mostly emotionally stable week* :wacko:

(just in case my mood has not come across, it is actually amused :P )

If the rating system came to a vote as to whether it will stay or go, I'd vote for it to go. The forum functioned fine without it AFAIK, I don't see it as having any beneficial purpose, and it is open to abuse.

Has there been a reason given for the rating system being implemented? If I knew why it was added to this forum I might think the reasons had merit.

I do like the new look of the forum though.

Has there been a reason given for the rating system being implemented? If I knew why it was added to this forum I might think the reasons had merit.

Fear of migrants I think ;)

If the HBO series is a success the board could see a substantial rise in members, the hope is that the rating system would encourage the boards' membership to police itself rather than rely on mod intervention.

This would leave the Mods free to quaff the blood of virgins and spend the Evony ad money on platinum keyboards and emerald studded Mod Bras from Gaultier.

If the rating system came to a vote as to whether it will stay or go, I'd vote for it to go. The forum functioned fine without it AFAIK, I don't see it as having any beneficial purpose, and it is open to abuse.

I do like the new look of the forum though.

What Usotsuki said ;) :P

(Yay - I can spell him now)

If you read back in the thread there are quite a few posts discussing it, but the most defintive are:

If it works as I think it may well work, the system will encourage self-policing, something which has not scaled well with the growth of the forum. If a forum manages itself with less need for moderator intervention, I think that'll be a win.

We're not removing it until we've tested it to see the impact on the forum, in any case, so it's pretty premature to be arguing against it. Give it a couple of weeks, use it and observe it alongside everyone else, and then I'll be very interested in nformed opinions as to whether it's a keeper or not.

No real data can be gathered about this system, right now, because most people seem to be just playing with it, and not really using it.

From my perspective, I think the feature has a lot of potential for good. As a moderator, there are many posts where I think is out of line, but not at the level of warranting deletion. This rating system sort of fills in the gap there, to allow users do a rough sort of moderating in their own threads. For most, but not all, seeing posts that are plus-rated is likely to get them to pay attention to what's good about the post, and that can help set the tone of a thread. Similarly, disruptive posts that are trolling getting minus-rated may discourage someone else from doing the same.

Much of the benefit of this system is going to rely on how people use it. If users here are going to be a (collective) dick about it, and abuse the system, then sure, we'll yank it (heheh, I just use dick, yank, and abuse in the same sentence).

Will there be people who down-rank a post not because of the merit of the post but because they have personal animosity against the poster? Of course. But in the long run, imo, if your posts are consistently useful, people who see the negative ranking and who disagree with it will put in a + for you. I know I would. I have no doubt that despite people's political alignment, the thoughtful users and the ones who contribute to the forums constructively will end up with a positive personal rating.

Raidne put this in more stirring tones but it has to be read in context ;)

I have not read all the posts by any means but I did start reading of the opinion that it should go. I now hold the view of lets see how it goes. It could work very well and I like the limit of votes, limiting the votes may actually make it an effective, very mild, form of self regulation.

I think we have enough people here of sufficient character to disregard the vote system and just be themselves, thus I don't think it will affect the integrity of the board.

This would leave the Mods free to quaff the blood of virgins and spend the Evony ad money on platinum keyboards and emerald studded Mod Bras from Gaultier.

Been reading the Secret Documents again, minion? No worries, I have already set aside funds for your chased gold and ruby-encrusted codpiece and nipple shields. Only the best for my flying henchmonkeys, certes. :smoking:

Been reading the Secret Documents again, minion? No worries, I have already set aside funds for your chased gold and ruby-encrusted codpiece and nipple shields. Only the best for my flying henchmonkeys, certes. smoking.gif

I've been reading your posts hearing the voice of the MCP. It's awesome. :D

I was initially anti-rating having seen it abused other places. But I find I enjoy clicking the button. So I am now in favour.

I have clicked your button!

N

ps I'm here all week!

Archived