get rid of the post rating feature.

Ok, I admit i can't be bothered to trawl through this entire thread. Sorry.

Then just flat out say it.

"I haven't had time to read through all the responses, and I'm sorry if this is repeating what's been said, but here's my input:"

Rather than being forced into admitting that you posted without reading through the thread, and when challenged, claim that no satisfactory answers have been given, which means your second explanation is utterly unfounded, since you can't know that no satisfactory answers have been given in this thread on account of you not having read through the thread.

I think your input here is actually useful, to have someone who's experienced the system chime in to tell us what their experience has been. But you just totally bungled that and managed to lose yourself any credibility before you even started.

Good grief.

Now, the interesting thing would be to see if an alt could rate a post up or down - i.e., is it controlled by the IP address or the user name?

Lyanna, Usotsuki and myself discussed this on back on pages 9-10. There are two broad categories of more or less undetectable ways to game the system. In either case, use a random number generator to determine when the actual points are given (otherwise simply graphing the reputation as a function of time will reveal that something is fishy). The first one is to create an army of alts -- there are plenty of programs that hide your IP or you could just use VPNs among various places. The second is much more interesting: since we all get 5 ratings per day, you can make deals with fellow boarders to increase your reputation in exchange for you increasing theirs.

I think the conclusion was that the reputation is not important enough to warrant this kind of treatment. As Usotsuki put it, "that would be a little weird even for here".

fitheach,

Sorry Ran, didn't know you get final say. Obviously not a democracy in Westeros.

*points to title*

That said, regardless of whether I have final say as to whether it's used on the board, I've rather tried to emphasize, I'm giving it a fair shake because I think it might be a net-good for the forum, even if some people dislike it (or even dislike it immensely). I'm not doing it because it makes for the lulz seeing people upset about it.

I've also said that I wanted people's opinions about it to make an informed decision, but mostly I want that after folks can make an informed decision about it based on evidence of actual, general, normal use; and I don't think that time has come yet, so while it's fine to voice your opinion now if you'd like, it's just an opinion based on speculation rather than sustainable evidence. I doubt that this first few days of controversy and novelty can be considered "normal". Color me surprised if it is.

Already I can see a slackening in the rate of usage, and less obviously frivolity, so those who are having a laugh or abusing it to show their opposition are starting to get tired of that a bit.

But of course, this belies the fact that the impact of the system on your appreciation of the forum is for you to decide. The real final say is yours, of course. If it's a big problem, you can ignore it, or you can find or found a more congenial forum. People can always vote with their feet. This has always been the case, as the number of splinter forums and groups show. Unlike most tyrants, I can't control emigration, nor do I want to.

I've been running Ice and Fire forums for 10 years now and I certainly know I can't please everyone. I've got no problem with that.

I've been running Ice and Fire forums for 10 years now

Meanwhile we ran the revenshea's tripod site into the ground.

i really think people need to relax...or find something useful to do. no offense but this really doesn't warrant entire paragraphs of angst.

Already I can see a slackening in the rate of usage, and less obviously frivolity, so those who are having a laugh or abusing it to show their opposition are starting to get tired of that a bit.

Er, your august majesty, people's chairman, is there actually a record of the usage statistics? How many posts are getting tagged, by how many people, in what forums, etc? Thats kind of interesting.

Er, your august majesty, people's chairman, is there actually a record of the usage statistics? How many posts are getting tagged, by how many people, in what forums, etc? Thats kind of interesting.

Im halfway convinced that Ran can see all that info, and is using us as lab mice for some diabolical e-experiment.

The database contains some highly spread out data to make it fairly difficult for a casual observer of it to figure out who did what to whom -- you have to dig around in several different tables to piece things together, and if I wanted to do that, I'd just install the reputation history mod. So I've not bothered trying to figure that out. I'd have to dig around to figure out per forum usage too.

But I can see the total number of reputation uses and I can see the trend, re: negative vs. positive, pretty easily as that's all in one table.

But I can see the total number of reputation uses and I can see the trend, re: negative vs. positive, pretty easily as that's all in one table.

I'm curious how many people its being used by, rather than by whom or on whom, though I suppose one could roughtly calculate that based on the 5 daily votes thing. A lot of people have hands down said they're not using it, but I wonder if thats really just a drop in the bucket, and the vast amount of users are actually merrily clicking about (or not) over on the book forums, totally oblivious of this debate, becuase who hangs out in Gen Chat anyway?

Just take your rage out on your King with neg reps. When he hits -9999, his computer will explode, and then someone else can take up the immense effort of running this.

I really really really think you guys should give it a bit more time rather than look for ways for it to be abused and fail. ;)

Out of interest though, in all the regulars, who is it that is going to be abusing this feature? :shocked:

About a quarter of people who have visited the site since it went back up have rated at least once, and so far positive ratings outnumber negative 2:1.

Yay, and this is relevant! Sorry Ran, just giving you shit. Since your the king you gotta take it. :-p

(Message hidden)

You have chosen to ignore the contributions of user Happy Ent.

To un-ignore the user Happy Ent

I can't believe I fell for that! I was like, WTF, I just cleared out my inherited Ignore List 2 days ago! Well played.

When I hit -50, I'm going to create the Chaos Overlord group. ;)

:bowdown: I can't help but be amazed by your awesome negative rating, Ran. Were you expecting something like this or were you surprised when the negative votes started piling on?

I'll just echo what many people said in this thread. I'm uneasy with the rating system because I fear it's going to be used either as a popularity contest feature or as a way to express your dislike about a particular user's views. Trying to find out how someone got his/her positive or negative reputation is nearly impossible since you can't always see the individual posts that got rated. I wouldn't mind this system at all if it was not anonymous and if we could provide reasons for rating a post. That said, I guess we'll see how it's used in the next couple of weeks and if it's going to stick around.

I haven't really formed an opinion on this feature yet - I've moved from 'yuck' to 'meh' so far. But if it does stick around it occurred to me that in addition to the overall total rep it might be interesting to see how it's calculated. My understanding so far is if someone has 10+ votes and 2- votes they would be a net 8 and that's all we would see?

When I hit -50, I'm going to create the Chaos Overlord group. ;)

I think you might be enjoying this a bit too much. :P

Is there a place where we commoners can see the various groups/levels that are currently established?

Archived