Brandon Sanderson

Migey

I think he has the potential to be alot better then he is. He has very very good ideas and plotlines, but his really weak points are characterization and often dialogue. I think that Vin and Elend would be good as side characters but they simply are not developed enough to be the protagonists they are. Vin could pass, POSSIBLY, at a stretch, but Elends personality is just too one sided. All he does is sit around, saying thats hes too noble to shit, and whining that he wasnt meant to be a king yadda.

Despite this, the story is good enough to more then make up for it.

The writing is not bad, but it DEFINATLY isnt good.

He has potential, and with practice i think become a very, VERY good author. He just needs to imrpove his writing and make his characters with a bit more depth

That said, i find some of his characters to be pretty good. Sazed whines too much, but he is still cool. Breeze isnt too bad either, but i do admit that breeze isnt THAT complex, and marsh and kelsier are badass and kickass incarnate

Kelsier I thought was more an embodiment of teenage guy wish fulfillment/comic book caricature than anything else. Luckily though he was intended to be that way, the other characters realized he had a big head and called him out on it, otherwise I'd have stopped reading the first book pretty quickly. It was still a slog for me to get through the Kelsier-heavy parts, but I thought all the other main characters were better.

At the moment I'd put Sanderson into the same category as Erikson. Awesome ideas, mixed execution. I think the explanation is the same as well, namely that both writers have been working like whippets after they've been set on fire. Once Sanderson has completed WoT and can calm down his schedule a bit, I think his quality will improve and even out (same with Erikson once he's finished The Crippled God and can relax into his new 18-month schedule).

As it stands, Elantris was solid and Mistborn very good with some moments that could have done with a few more rewrites and a bit more smoothing out. Overall, he's definitely one of the stronger recent fantasy debuts.

Elantris was average, but I absolutely adored the magic system(s) in Mistborn. The writing was definitely nothing special, but I liked the allomancy so much that I just didn't care.

That said, I haven't picked up Warbreaker, and I'm not sure if I will.

The upcoming series "Way of Kings", which is apparantly going to be huge ( I read 12 volumes somewhere) is the first one that draws my interest as a Sanderson book that I want to give a real shot.

I read excerpts of Elantris, Mistborn and Warbreaker and not a single one made me buy the book. It's not terrible writing at all, but there's something missing for me. Maybe the new main series will be better.

Calibandar, i strongly advise that you try Mistborn. It takes awhile to get in to, but its worth it, mainly because of the AWESOME magic system

mainly because of the AWESOME magic system

People keep bringing this out. It's quite original and well thought out, and it is a good thing, but I'm not sure it quite qualifies as AWESOME. Although I think I said earlier in the topic it's a little mechanical, as magic goes, for my tastes (I like a little bit of mystical), which probably biases me against it, it's pretty limited as well in terms of variation. Also... well, it's basically the Force with metals, isn't it?

People keep bringing this out. It's quite original and well thought out, and it is a good thing, but I'm not sure it quite qualifies as AWESOME. Although I think I said earlier in the topic it's a little mechanical, as magic goes, for my tastes (I like a little bit of mystical), which probably biases me against it, it's pretty limited as well in terms of variation. Also... well, it's basically the Force with metals, isn't it?

No, not really at all.

People keep bringing this out. It's quite original and well thought out, and it is a good thing, but I'm not sure it quite qualifies as AWESOME. Although I think I said earlier in the topic it's a little mechanical, as magic goes, for my tastes (I like a little bit of mystical)

I'm the same way about it. The originality is cool, and it allows the characters to do some fun things, but to me it seems made for a video game. Reminds me of Final Fantasy VIII, where you "draw" magic spells from monsters, gather them up and then use them in battle.... they always have the same effect when used, and there's even a chart explaining it all. In Mistborn they don't have to get the spells from their enemies, but on the magic continuum of mystical/unpredictable vs. systematic/mechanical, it's as far to the latter end as you can get.

• 4 months later...

The first three chapters of The Way of Kings are up on Tor's website. I don't have time to read them yet but I figured I'd let you all know.

I haven't read any of Sanderson's work; that acknowledged, I can't say I was too impressed by these excerpts. I don't really care for his prose style. His author voice feels "flat," and though the writing is competent, there is little compelling about it... all meat-n-potatoes, lacking stylistic spice. The worldbuilding and ideas are... OK, I guess. The explanation on the magic system was slightly annoying -- telling, not showing -- and though there was quite a bit of action, none of it really excited me.

Haven't read the extracts because I have an ARC coming my way. I'm keen to read it, but I can only hope that it's better than the last two Mistborn books.

Still, the premise sounds interesting. Let's see if the execution makes it all work. . .

Patrick

Archived