May 2010 reads

mashiara

I just started Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King, book 5 of the Dark Tower.

So far I'm enjoying it (only 30 pages in), but I'm sort of mentally cringing as I read it, in anticipation of the apparent sucky-ness that this series takes on in books 5-7.

Are they really as bad as everyone says they are? I don't think it'll stop me from reading them (seeing as I love love love the previous four books), but I'd like to know

I loved it.

Although, I always advise people to read Salem's Lot before Wolves of the Calla, because one of the protagonists in Wolves, i.e. Father Donald Frank Callahan, is protagonist in Salem's Lot and knowledge of his background and what happened to him is a nice thing to know before you devour Wolves of the Calla.

Still going through War and Peace, though not at breakneck speed. I'm still surprised it's not half as dry or difficult to read as anticipated.

I loved it.

Although, I always advise people to read Salem's Lot before Wolves of the Calla, because one of the protagonists in Wolves, i.e. Father Donald Frank Callahan, is protagonist in Salem's Lot and knowledge of his background and what happened to him is a nice thing to know before you devour Wolves of the Calla.

thanks for the tip! it's been about 15 years since I read Salem's Lot, so I think it's time for a re-read.

I seem to be stuck in series at the moment:

- Just finished Dust of Dreams by Erickson, he seems to be getting things set up for the big finish. The last book may get very busy if he brings in everyone from all the earlier books back in, since even being dead isn't keeping many people down.

- Now reading Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik, more fun with Napoleonic wars and dragons.

- Have Watcher of the Dead by JV Jones up next, then Night of Knives by Ian Esslemont.

- Noticed yesterday that Elizabeth Moon has put out a sequel to the Deed of Paksennarion trilogy, so may be adding that to the list as well.

I just finished Feersum Endjinn and The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks. Half of the books I've read this year are by Banks, so I've really been enjoying the cut of his jib.

Finished The Waste Lands, awesome fuckin awesome especially the whole Lud sequence, it must have griped Dark Tower fans to wait 6 years after the tacky cliffhanger finale of The Waste Lands. Despite some extraneous details and exposition in the first half, I loved it. 9/10

The score

The Gunslinger 10/10

The Drawing of the Three 7/10

The Waste Lands 9/10

Just a couple of dozen pages into Wizard And Glass.

Just finished Farlander by Col Buchanan. I liked it a lot. It's a strong debut with well wrought characters and an interesting world. Recommended to anyone who likes assassins (or anyone who wants to see a more human side of the assassin archtype) and anyone who likes their fantasy with a somewhat narrower scope.

Not sure what I'll read next (probably The Desert Spear if my local bookstore has it in stock today).

I've just noticed that War and Peace has some of the most riveting fights/battles out of any I've ever read! So far this book is completely defying my original expectations. It's not slow, it's not boring and it's aged surprisingly well. Bravo Tolstoy!

I've just noticed that War and Peace has some of the most riveting fights/battles out of any I've ever read! So far this book is completely defying my original expectations. It's not slow, it's not boring and it's aged surprisingly well. Bravo Tolstoy!

It's an awe inspiring novel. I suggest following it with Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment. Not that I think Crime and Punishment is Dostoevsky's best novel, but it showcases a completely opposing view to that shown in War and Peace on the subject of fate and freewill. Plus it's Dostoevsky. You can never go wrong with Dostoevsky.

It was a bit of an odd book. Wilson set up an intriguing mystery but the bit where he abruptly explains the central mystery in an 'intermission' a third of the way through the book written from a completely different viewpoint was a bit disappointing. I also thought the exploration of Darwinia was much more interesting than the explanation for how Darwinia came to be, which was a bit dull.

I couldn't stop wondering what was going on with

Where Europe was?! Has it suddenly appeared on some alien planet? You can't just dissapear Europe and not follow it, can you?!

and the SF explanation was really abrupt and totally killed the subtler mystery and the melancholy atmosphere of the shadowy psuedo-memories of ww1.

Started Under Heaven. Dramatic opening. Like it.

I have Under Heaven. I WANT to read it, but between the British election, going to see "Krapps last tape", work, work, work I've had to delay it. I'll start tomorrow. Can't wait.

It's an awe inspiring novel. I suggest following it with Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment. Not that I think Crime and Punishment is Dostoevsky's best novel, but it showcases a completely opposing view to that shown in War and Peace on the subject of fate and freewill. Plus it's Dostoevsky. You can never go wrong with Dostoevsky.

Yes that one will definitely be soon after War and Peace. I may read something lighter first though, probably On Stranger Tides as a sort of 'catch-my-breath' book. I've had Dostoevsky on my list for a few months now so he'll be soon for sure. I've got a book of short stories by this guy as well that I was going to read but if you think C&P is a good contrast to W&P then I'll read that first.

I really want to read War and Peace now...

Just do it. :thumbsup:

Yes that one will definitely be soon after War and Peace. I may read something lighter first though, probably On Stranger Tides as a sort of 'catch-my-breath' book. I've had Dostoevsky on my list for a few months now so he'll be soon for sure. I've got a book of short stories by this guy as well that I was going to read but if you think C&P is a good contrast to W&P then I'll read that first.

Just do it. :thumbsup:

All I can say is that I read C&P for the first time right after I read W&P for the first time, and the contrast made the whole experience really wonderful. I've since reread W&P twice, and each time I've done a reread of C&P right after.

Also you should check out The Idiot, because not only is it the greatest book ever written (fact), but you will also be able to see why I chose my username :).

All I can say is that I read C&P for the first time right after I read W&P for the first time, and the contrast made the whole experience really wonderful. I've since reread W&P twice, and each time I've done a reread of C&P right after.

Also you should check out The Idiot, because not only is it the greatest book ever written (fact), but you will also be able to see why I chose my username :).

Haha Sounds good. You may have convinced me yet if those book orders of mine don't get here this weekend I'll go get C&P. I can't guarantee what I'll want to read right after Tolstoy though. If I'm feeling tough I'll dive into Dostoevsky ;)

I've given up on Mieville's Iron Council after around 200 pages, which surprises me because I really enjoyed the first two Bas-Lag novels. Might return to it at some stage, but I just can't get into it at the moment.

Now on to The Lies of Locke Lamora, which I'll read concurrently with a few short stories from Dreamsongs and Warriors.

Archived