16. James Milner

17. Shaun Wright-Phillips

18. Jamie Carragher

19. Jermain Defoe

20. Ledley King

21. Emile Heskey

22. Michael Carrick

23. Joe Hart

I'd like to point out to everyone the first eleven there. Only a few changes in personnel from those that represented England in their last WC game.

Instead of Robinson in goal, you have D. James. An improvement?

G. Neville is out, and the attack-minded G. Johnson is in instead.

Beckham will not be featuring, though like Neville, events could've easily conspired for him to be there. The pacey and better suited Lennon is England's no.7 now.

O. Hargreaves misses out through injury, which is England's biggest blow, in my opinion. The next best player of his mold would've been Scott Parker. However, he has not been chosen, so they'll need to hope for Barry to raise his game. I do not think he is suited in England's current midfield.

England went with a 4-5-1 in their last WC game, but I think they'll be favouring a two man forward line, ie. Crouch plays.

Hey gang. I've started a Fantasy World Cup league on the official FIFA website, if anyone's interested. The code to join is 55257-82014.

Make sure you have a look through the rules, so you're aware of the scoring and substitution systems.

ETA: The official discussion thread be here.

There's a shocking turn of events. He shouldn't have been in the squad in the first place, let alone the captain. Probably better for England if he is out for the whole tournament, as at this point they can replace him. Otherwise he'll just get injured again then King will get done and then England's defence will look silly.

Probably better for England if he is out for the whole tournament, as at this point they can replace him.

Good Lord I hope not. If he's out of the squad he's almost guaranteed to end up providing analysis for either the BBC or ITV, I'm not sure I can take having to listen to Rio for the entire World Cup.

There's a shocking turn of events. He shouldn't have been in the squad in the first place, let alone the captain. Probably better for England if he is out for the whole tournament, as at this point they can replace him. Otherwise he'll just get injured again then King will get done and then England's defence will look silly.

Doesn't it always?

Very disappointing. This would have been his last tournament, as well. I suppose Aussies will be happy to hear this.

Can't really say I am, what with Cote d'Ivoire being in Group G.

Very disappointing. This would have been his last tournament, as well. I suppose Aussies will be happy to hear this.

?

I think you might have us confused Ser Ren, we're up against Ghana not Côte d'Ivoire. I must admit though that I didn't exactly burst into tears when I heard that Essien and Ballack were out of the tournament...

Archived