I just restarted Baldur's Gate II: SoA!

Demonblade

There are also some other actions that can make you lose reputation, and not all of them make you a complete monster. Sadly casting spells in Athkatla and then killing the Cowled Wizards that show up doesn't count...

Stealing something and then running away without killing any guards works. Once your reputation has dropped, get away from the guards, save and exit, then reload. This should stop the guards chasing you across half of Athkatla.

I guess I didn't realize that Jaheira could wear good armor and use decent weapons. I had been hesitant to let her go into the fray all that often, but I'm doing it more so now.

she can use a shield too. My Jaheira has a -3 AC pretty early in the game.

So I understand that there is some corresponding quest for each class? Like a Paladin quest, a ranger quest, etc...

Does that game naturally explain this to you at some point, or is it just something that becomes obvious and has been given some sort of unofficial explanation by fans? If it's the former, have I done any of them yet? Was Nalia's estate one of them? Was the temple ruins one of them?

Every class has a quest, but you can do many of the quests with any class. The quests just end a little differently if you finish them with the specific class tailored to the quest. Lots of classes get a stronghold. Thief gets a guild, fighter a castle, druid a grove, and bard a theatre. The temple quest goes with cleric and Nailia's goes with fighter. I really like those parts of the game. The mage one is my favorite.

I checked and my reputation is only 12, so I should be cool with Edwin for a while. I actually let him go for the moment because I really needed to get a thief back, so I picked Nalia back up. It frustrates me that she only has 4 1st round slots to Edwin's 8 at the moment.

I guess I didn't realize that Jaheira could wear good armor and use decent weapons. I had been hesitant to let her go into the fray all that often, but I'm doing it more so now.

About evil chars and rep. I'm pretty sure if say Edwin or Korgan joins you when your rep is already 18 or 19 they won't ever leave because of rep. It's very handy to have your rep up, at least near the start as you get a significant discount on junk from the stores.

As for Jaheira, not only does she get to wear good armor, she actually gets the druid spell Ironskins (Exactly the same as the Mage/Bard spell Stoneskin). At that point she can become your main tank particularly if you give her one of the various strength enhancing items.

So I understand that there is some corresponding quest for each class? Like a Paladin quest, a ranger quest, etc...

Does that game naturally explain this to you at some point, or is it just something that becomes obvious and has been given some sort of unofficial explanation by fans? If it's the former, have I done any of them yet? Was Nalia's estate one of them? Was the temple ruins one of them?

The game steers you towards the quest for your specific class by having the little kid (Brus?) tell you about the quest giver for it. A paladin will be told about Fierkraag, a druid about that guy at the city gates, a fighter/barbarian about Nalia, a ranger about the kid in the government district etc. The basic quests for each of these will be available to all classes, but once you finish the one corresponding to your class, you'll get a "stronghold", a place where you can hang out, store items (though usually it's more convenient to just dump stuff into a barrel next to Cromwell's smithy...) and get more quests.

For the ranger that's the Umar Hills quest, at the end of which you'll be made the local ranger protector and get your own cabin in the woods.

So to clarify, the higher the AC number on an item, the more it lowers my overall AC number?

And I wonder why I keep getting it handed to me by vampires.

For basic armours you want AC to be as low as possible (so full plate is better than leather), for other items you want items that "add" to the AC, as this will lower it further (just check your character sheet whenever you equip and unequip items, you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly).

Same goes for THAC0 btw, though there the base value is determined by your class and level.

So I'm assuming that this term "tank" is what I refer to in my head as a "brawler?" Someone who is usually up in the fray in a melee combat? If so, this is great news for me that I can use Jaheira more in this respect. I often got frustrated about how she had too few spells that were useful during combat (unless we're outside that is).

Technically "tank" means a character that is primarily designed to keep the enemies attention focussed on himself (and surviving said attention) while the more vulnerable characters do the real damage. AD&D isn't really set up with this kind of splitting of roles in mind (which really only came around later). Melee characters can deal lots of damage (and usually don't really have mechanics to help draw attention to themselves) and mages have plenty of defensive spells at their disposal, but "tank" is still an easy shorthand for "tough, melee oriented character".

So with respect to a well-equipped Jaheira it applies more so in that she can absorb a lot of damage (with barkskin) than that she can deal out a lot of damage?

With appropriate equipment a fair few characters can deal a lot of damage. Wielding one of the powerful one-handed magic weapons you find during the game and with a massive shield...

I need to get her something good to attack with then. I think right now the best thing I have for her is a quarter staff +2. Then I have Flaming Sword or whatever the spell is, which seems to be a decent option.

If you want to use Jaheira in this way (she ended up being my "tank" the first time I stumbled through this game), don't arm her with a two handed weapon like a quarterstaff. Keep her AC as low as is possible (this means use a shield) and use protective spells as needed. Load her up with whatever equipment you have that lowers her AC the most, and try to find a one-handed melee weapon with which she is proficient (club & scimitar--IIRC--there are lots of both in the game).

Whatever you do, don't get part way through, then restart the game endlessly with different character classes because you think that they might be more fun. There is no joy down that road.

I need to get her something good to attack with then. I think right now the best thing I have for her is a quarter staff +2. Then I have Flaming Sword or whatever the spell is, which seems to be a decent option.

give her a scimitar and a shield. i believe she begins the game with the "sword and shield" proficiency. Currently, in my game she is wearing leather armor +5 and has the Shield of Harmony equipped, giving her a -3 AC and making her my main tank.

Viconia can also become an excellent tank. You need to buy the Girdle of Hill Giant's Strength from the Adventurer's Mart, which almost doubles her strength and allows her to wear heavy plate armor. Her dexterity is already incredibly high; with Flail of the Ages in one hand and a nice shield in the other, her AC will be in the -5 to -8 range early in the game.

Do the Trademeet quest line. You get both clubs and scimitars there.

Whatever you do, don't get part way through, then restart the game endlessly with different character classes because you think that they might be more fun. There is no joy down that road.

Oh, there's plenty of joy there. There is even more joy if you don't even get out of the starting dungeon.;)

Trademeet is a town outside Athkatla. Go to the Athkatla gate and leave town: you should get the opportunity to go there.

This is mostly correct, but I believe you have to talk to a man in the city gate area before it will show up on the world map. He'll tell you about the animal attacks that the town has been facing.

As for Haer'Dalis, you can use him way down the line to set spike traps and stuff like that. He can also eventually use any item, so you can set him up with somewhat unfair item combinations if you so desire (as I recall, it's pretty easy to get him to 100% magic resistance, which pretty much means game over for enemy mages.) In the meantime, you can hook him up with some pretty powerful shortswords in the game, which is nice, and you probably picked up some bard-specific armor in the planar prison, which makes him one of the first armored spell-casters you can have in the game.

ETA: Last night I finished the plane quest where you rescue the Bard and his troupe. I didn't pick that guy up though. I have a somewhat natural indisposition towards bards in general. Is there any reason I may want to give him a shot in spite of that?

Bards can be pretty good, but Haer'dalis is annoying, being a Doomguard who calls everyone bird names. His kit, Blade, is kind of a neutered fighter/mage with higher lore skill.

Wow, I hadn't even realized there was a way to further open up the world map. I was beginning to get curious about why there was so much open space with only like four icons out there. Excellent.

oh to be young and ignorant ! i envy you sir! :)

you guys are gonna make me drive a hundred miles to go get my copy of baldur's gate and run a 36 hour baldur's gate marathon until friday morning when i have to go to work....

Are there things later on that actually allow you to case multiple spells right off the bat?

Spell Sequencers. I think the minor one is a 6th lvl spell. Allows you to cast a couple of spells back to back. Most mages start off with stoneskin and a globe. Breach and Spell Thrust enemy mages at the start of battle.

Bards can be pretty good, but Haer'dalis is annoying, being a Doomguard who calls everyone bird names. His kit, Blade, is kind of a neutered fighter/mage with higher lore skill.

Blades are by far the best defensive class in the game due to having all the various mage spells like Blur and Stoneskin and defensive spin. Nothing else even comes close.

Triskele,

What I meant by tank is what other have said, that is someone to soak up damage that you don't have to pay much attention to in a fight.

Archived