Cricket X

Jeor

Wouldn't be surprised if there were some discontent in the Australian dressing room. Losing seven matches in a row can't be all that helpful for team morale, and whenever you lose a match like the one against Sri Lanka (having them 8/110 or so chasing 240) questions have to be asked of the captaincy in that game. Way too many bouncers, short balls and wide balls, when a consistent line and length approach just outside off stump, or a wicket-to-wicket approach and a few yorkers mixed in would have been worth a go.

North might be talked about as an option but his place in the side is really a bit too sketchy. I don't like Michael Clarke so I wouldn't mind if the prima donna goes off the boil. Assuming Ponting carries on for another year or two, that probably takes Simon Katich out of the equation (longtime captain of New South Wales), although if Ponting does go sooner rather than later, Katich could do a good caretaker job for a year like Kumble did with India. Other than that there aren't many options. Watson I dislike as much as Clarke for his immaturity, and none of the bowlers look like the right makeup for being bowling captains.

I think Watson could actually be a good captain.

This doesn't mean I like the guy, because I don't. But he seems like someone who responds to pressure and responsibility.

He's the best longterm prospect you have imo. Possibly Clarke, but eh.

Its difficult for us as fans to say who'd make a good captain. You have to actually know the players to make a real judgement.

What I really want to know is: where is Paxy gloating?

Yeah, that was a great ODI series :thumbsup:. It was good to see Murali finally win something in Australia after so many years of being on the receiving end in terms of results, crowds and umpiring. I also loved this.

As for the Ashes build-up, well, England aren't looking all that special on this tour so far. They bowled reasonably well yesterday but the Warriors pretty much demolished their batting line-up today. If it wasn't for quick runs from Broad and Swann they would have struggled to get over 200. WA 109/1 in reply.

And I'll say it again: Kane Williamson is a jet. 87* on debut so far plus the handy wicket of Raina. Also, Jesse Ryder - third hundred against India and he's made it to 1000 test runs in no time.

Only saw the last hour and so of play but Williamson looked really composed and didn't look like getting out. Amazing job from a 20-year-old playing his debut test in India. Shame Ryder got out in the last over, but it was a great comeback innings, carrying on where he left off against India last time at home. And yeah, he's the 3rd fastest NZer to 1000 test runs, after John Reid and Mark Richardson. Must be our only batsman with a 50+ average over any length of time too.

That was our best day of test cricket that I can remember for a long time! :)

Not between wickets though. :P

I think Ryder has the Boonie/Inzamam philosophy - why run when you can smash it to the boundary?

ETA: Actually I might be doing him a bit of a disservice there as only around 40% of his runs were in boundaries in that hundred. And Ryder has been trying to clean-up his act:

It's been 100 days since I had a drink

The best quote this week came from Vettori though, speaking about Sachin:

He has been in form longer than some of our guys have been alive

If anyones tired of mundane commentary, annoying cliches and repetitive insight, I suggest you all check The Sofa. Its basically informal fan commentary (though very well done), genuinely funny, and from people who actually have interesting things to say.

Its made cricket five times more fun to watch for me.

Martin gets Dhoni! Lead is still only 93. It's up to VVS and the tail once again...

ETA: Also, it seems I put the mockers on WA...England ended up winning the tour match after a 4-for from Swann and a quickfire hundred from the skipper. Cook's form is still a worry though.

Archived