Cricket X

Jeor

um. Do you mean UDRS? 'Cuz I'm not sure how well sticking a group of oboists into the situation would help...

LOL. You would be correct.

I don't really have strong feelings about Clarke, but he's obviously the next captain they have in mind, and I don't see the point in Ponting hanging on. The guy has almost no tactical nous, and its really shown ever since Warne and several other veterans retired.

Mickey Arthur made a pretty disastrous start to his coaching tenure at the WACA yesterday - Victoria completely destroyed us in our first match of the new Ryobi One-Day Cup. And his decision to play two spinners was pretty naive IMO. All in all I think the new rules of the competition (45-over quarters cricket) worked pretty well though. I could only make it to the first half of the day's play and it was good to see both sides have a bat and bowl during that period rather than just 50 overs of the same thing (with the obligatory grind/milking between overs 25-40).

Anyone catch Bangladesh's ODI win the other day? Pretty good performance considering Tamim's absence and the fact that NZ is near full-strength with Vettori and Ryder back in the side.

And yeah, I've really been looking forward to this India/Aus test match. Watson and Katich are off to a good start. Bangalore has been a poor venue for India over the years and a relatively happy hunting ground for the Aussies. Shame the series isn't longer though (4 or 5 would be ideal) :thumbsdown:.

Hussey looks in the mood today - 22 off 22 balls. That's quite a change of approach after the way he batted in the first test.

Unfortunately for him it didn't last. I think his career trajectory is really just going to be an elongated version of Vinod Kambli. He'll finish with a great career batting average and good numbers and people will wonder why he was dropped, but really he just had an unbelievable start but a fairly lengthy period of underproduction.

Wow, NZ are in big trouble against Bangladesh. Taylor and Mills are going to have to dig deep to get them out of this one.

And I was glad to see North get a score in the second test. He's a great player to watch and a West Aussie to boot - hope he stays in the test team for some time yet. In the meantime, normal service has resumed with SRT piling on the runs and the Aussie attack looking innocuous.

Embarrassing loss for the Kiwis. Not sure if Rimmer hangs around these threads any more, but mate, have they hit rock bottom here or what? Need to somehow win the last two games to at least salvage a drawn series. Congrats to Bangladesh though.

And yeah, great day for Tendulkar and Vijay. I'd like to see a contribution from Dhoni though so that India can get a healthy lead and maybe have a go at Australia on Day 4/5.

Also: Punjab and Rajasthan kicked out of the IPL :stunned:

The India/ AUs test seems to be nicely balanced

Very nicely balanced, although time left in the Test may be a factor.

Michael Clarke's vaunted reputation against spin is starting to crumble. He's gone cheaply four times now (14, 4, 14, 3) and three of those four times to spinners. He may have fancy footwork and I think there was a stat that he hadn't gotten out to Murali in ages, but I think his reputation against spin is a little overblown. He doesn't attack as much as he used to and these days he can get tied down a bit too easily.

A comfortable Indian win in the end, I am in awe of Tendulkar at age 37, his batting average is back up to 57. A few years ago he had a definite prolonged slump. But with scores of 98, 38, 214 and 53* easily the Man of the Series and he's batting better than ever. Unfortunately for Australia they failed the real test - being able to get 20 wickets in India. They came close the first Test but this Test they never really looked like threatening with the ball. A decade ago, an Australian team would have confidently looked at a fourth innings target of 200 and backed themselves to blast the opposition out, throwing the kitchen sink at them. This attack just doesn't have the firepower.

It makes me more than a little concerned about the Ashes. England's batting problems recently have been well documented but the batting roads of Australia will perk them up a bit. Meanwhile our attack hasn't been able to get wickets against top-class opposition for a while (Pakistan's lineup don't count). As Allan Border mentioned, these days Australia seem to be losing all the close games, when a few years ago it would have been the other way around.

Great work by India though. There will be a time when Tendulkar, Laxman and Dravid all go, but I think they'll be ok. With young guys like Vijay, Raina and Pujara they will unearth new talent. They probably won't find another guy as reliable as Tendulkar - but he's a once in a generation player.

That's the first time in over 10 years of watching cricket that I've seen Australia fail to win two consecutive test series :wideeyed:. Long time coming.

And yeah, I agree with Jeor's comments about the series, although I still think this Australian attack will look a lot more threatening against a sometimes fragile English line-up on Aussie pitches.

BTW Jeor, your absence from this thread is notable. Would be great to catch up with you for RL cricket discussion mate :cheers:.

ETA: Some decent and probably long overdue changes finally being made by the ICC: link. I like the idea of a "test playoff series", although it might be kind of weird watching Aus and England play each other in a test outside of the Ashes context.

ETA: Some decent and probably long overdue changes finally being made by the ICC: link. I like the idea of a "test playoff series", although it might be kind of weird watching Aus and England play each other in a test outside of the Ashes context.

It does sound like an interesting idea. I don't think anyone really cared about the current ranking system, actually having a proper way of determining who the "Test Champions" are does like a good idea in principle. The downside is that I'm a bit vague how the playoffs would actually work. A game that so easily ends in draws (particularly if the weather is bad for the final) doesn't seem all that well suited for a playoff system.

The downside is that I'm a bit vague how the playoffs would actually work. A game that so easily ends in draws (particularly if the weather is bad for the final) doesn't seem all that well suited for a playoff system.

Agreed. The four year league sounds like a good idea (so long as they don't mess with Ashes series too much) but play offs and a final doesn't seem like the way to go.

There seemed to be a radio silence on the last day here in Australia... could not get a prgress score at all. If Australia had been winning, I'm sure one couldn't avoid it on the airwaves.

Tendulkar is always a pleasure to watch, and was encouraged by the young batsmen

Anyways looking forward to the Ashes; I will be going for the team I dislike least :shrug: Tough one for me!

I think you could probably make a play-off series work in one of two ways: (i) extend the tests to 6-day matches as per the World XI match some years ago or maybe even timeless tests as per the 1920s (!); or (ii) if a final/semi-final ends in a draw, award the victory to the team that finished higher in the league.

Archived