Cricket X

Jeor

Aussies struggling early on in the first ODI. Hope Shaun Marsh gets some runs in this series (duck for him today) - I'd like to see him forge a test career at some stage. Have to say though that Usman Khawaja is a much better chance of making the Ashes based on incredibly good early season form.

Also, looks like Younis Khan is going to be back for Pakistan for their upcoming SA tour. I had a feeling that it was only a matter of time before both he and Yousuf were back playing test cricket. 50+ average test batsmen aren't that easy to come by.

ETA: As usual, I put the mockers on India. Australia now well on top of this game after a psychologically important captain's hundred from Clarke.

Yeah, that was a great partnership from Kohli and Raina - completely took the game away from the Aussies. Even without Tendulkar, Dravid and VVS, the future looks bright for India with Gambhir, Vijay, Raina and Kohli.

BTW, very annoyed with the scheduling for SL's upcoming tour of Aus. No test matches to be seen despite the fact that Sri Lanka are the third-ranked team in test cricket :thumbsdown:.

Wow, didn't realise I'd been away from this thread so long...time seems to go in all sorts of weird directions when you're one of the people involved in the school musical and opening night is only a few days away!

To be honest I haven't followed the ODIs all that much...and I suspect I may not be alone in the cricketing public. I'll have to remember to flick it on tomorrow night though. Whereas Tests for me are 'must-watch' cricket, the ODIs and Twenty20s are the sort of entertainment that I'll definitely watch if I already have the TV on (or am close enough that it won't physically tax me to turn it on!) but I may not specifically remember when the matches are going on and may just casually check the TV throughout the day or have it in the background.

Just looking at some articles in cricinfo...the Haddin situation is getting a bit more interesting. Paine has clearly shown that he is a more than capable stand-in, and may indeed be Australia's next full-time wicketkeeper, but Haddin is probably going to get in despite his long layoff. I think Paine's conventional technique works against him, in that Haddin has a bit more power and potential impact even if Paine has a similar sort of average (Haddin leads by 38.65 to 35.87 but at this early stage in Paine's career you probably can't rely entirely on numbers). It'll be interesting to see if Haddin can regain his form, and whether Paine might eventually overtake him in the not-too-distant future.

Warning: Half drunk rambling from the NZ fan. I like you guys for humouring me :thumbsup:

Funny how we finally get a good three-test series against a top nation, just when we are probably in our worst form ever and India are in their best. Looks like India have chosen a full-strength squad, so fair play to them, but I don't think it's gonna be pretty.

NZ test squad for India: Daniel Vettori (capt), Brent Arnel, Hamish Bennett, Martin Guptill, Gareth Hopkins, Chris Martin, Brendon McCullum, Tim McIntosh, Andy McKay, Jeetan Patel, Jesse Ryder, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, BJ Watling, Kane Williamson.

Did Jamie How back over Vettori's dog or something? He was one of the top run-scorers in the Champions League against good international bowlers, and he averaged 62 in the Zimbabwe A tour just going on now. Guptill and Watling are in awful form; I don't think the pecking order is right.

And not a new development, but I don't know why Kyle Mills is never part of the test team now. He's only played 19 tests and got 44 wickets at an average of 33, so he hasn't embarrassed himself when given the chance. Mills has got to be one of the more underrated players in world cricket really - his ODI bowling record is world-class in the modern game, and he's pretty handy with the bat too.

NZ test squad for India: Daniel Vettori (capt), Brent WHO?, Hamish Bennett, Martin Guptill, Gareth WHO?, Chris Martin, Brendon McCullum, Tim WHO?, Andy WHO?, Jeetan Patel, Jesse Ryder, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, BJ WHO?, Kane WHO?.

Clearly, I'm out of touch.

In another triumph for English planning and preparation, both Anderson and his understudy, Tremlett, have become doubts for the Ashes tour. Why, I hear you ask? 'Cause they both suffered cracked ribs at a pre-tour boxing camp.

:worried:

Did Jamie How back over Vettori's dog or something? He was one of the top run-scorers in the Champions League against good international bowlers, and he averaged 62 in the Zimbabwe A tour just going on now. Guptill and Watling are in awful form; I don't think the pecking order is right.

And not a new development, but I don't know why Kyle Mills is never part of the test team now. He's only played 19 tests and got 44 wickets at an average of 33, so he hasn't embarrassed himself when given the chance. Mills has got to be one of the more underrated players in world cricket really - his ODI bowling record is world-class in the modern game, and he's pretty handy with the bat too.

Rimmer, even half-drunk, I would still prefer you on the NZ selection panel ahead of the incumbents. I'm still scratching my head as to why Mills has been left out of the side and you make a good argument that How should be included as well. Guptill doesn't look a test player to me.

Clearly, I'm out of touch.

Stubs, the only name you need to learn on that list is Williamson. Kid is a jet. With the possible exception of McIntosh, the other unknowns on that list will be lucky to manage 20 tests between them.

And yeah, you just have to wonder about England sometimes.

Some pretty blunt (and pretty hilarious) quotes surfacing in the cricket world this week:

KP on John Buchanan:

I'm not interested in what he has to say. Who is he? He's a nobody.

Shane Bond recalls what he said to NZC administrators when told about his ban as a result of ICL involvement:

You're telling me my international career is over because you've fucked up?

And Mark Greatbatch on NZ's batting performance v Bangladesh:

We played like dicks

In another triumph for English planning and preparation, both Anderson and his understudy, Tremlett, have become doubts for the Ashes tour. Why, I hear you ask? 'Cause they both suffered cracked ribs at a pre-tour boxing camp.

:worried:

Nah, just what those two pansies needed imo.

If they can't bowl with a few measly cracked ribs, they shouldn't be playing in Australia anyway.

Shane Bond recalls what he said to NZC administrators when told about his ban as a result of ICL involvement:

You're telling me my international career is over because you've fucked up?

Bond released his book this week, hence this excerpt where the above quote came from. Link to text (don't print)

He's no longer angry & bitter about the affair but after reading that and remembering his absence I'm angry and bitter all over again for him. Quite simply, we don't have any superstars in our team and haven't for many many years so we rely on journeymen and the odd outstanding grafter to help the team punch above its weight. So to lose the services of the best bowler we've produced in the last 20 years in the way this happened still grates. He picked the wrong league and the BCCI whipped NZC into submission.

I'm a bit angry and bitter too, but still, even when he was playing for us he broke down a lot. I saw someone comment that they'll remember Bond like a tampon - in one week and out three.

India have always seemed to have a habit of rising and falling to the level of their opposition, and we've always done OK against them in the past. Made them follow on in our last series together. I'm not that down about the Bangladesh tour - we've always been one small step away from shit, even at our best. Also I don't think Shakib and co. are the worst bowling attack to ever make us play like dicks.

Paxter, Hamish Bennett might be one other newbie worth watching. 23-year-old that can bowl mid-140s and wants to get quicker, and he had a decent start.

Not that I really care cause its only 20/20, but this is shaping up as an absolute disgrace. :thumbsdown:

Hey Confalume, howzagoin?

As to the 20/20 - I live here and didn't even know it was on. :uhoh:

8/133 is not bad considering we were 5/43 after 10.1 overs. Still not good enough, the top order was hopeless. Lets just hope we can get a few early wickets to put them on the back foot. Then again it's still only 20/20 :ohwell:

Hey Confalume, howzagoin?

Heya Stubbs, I've been keeping well, alot better than my computer which has been out of action for a while. But the old beast is back up and running now. :thumbsup:

Archived