What should be Jon's new Targaryen name?

Toe

Of course the sticky situation you bring up could still happen if Jon is actually the trueborn son of a married Rhaegar and Lyanna. I'd prefer a rivalry/uneasy alliance between Dany and Jon to the kind of sappy love story Jon Blackfyre proposes :stillsick: so it's an interesting idea.

Just my opinion is all, didn't really think it was sappy, more bittersweet. GRRM id say that the person who ends up on the throne will be the last one we suspect though, so I'm guessing I will not be right.

They may be rivals and have an uneasy alliance like you say, but I'd be damned if there won't be sexual tension between those two.

Was it the Hospitalliers that dressed in black?

No, they had red with a white cross on. The closest is the Teutonic knights who had white with a black cross.

I don't think there were any templars that used black as the main color.

The forum myth strikes again.

We have a whole other topic based on this one so I won't perpetuate it here. I don't know where or when this was supposedly said by GRRM, but I don't doubt it outright because so many others seem to have knowledge of it. Although you are right, it could be a "he said that she said that they overheard him say" kind of thing.

Either way, my original point was that I don't think it's sappy for Dany and Jon to actually love each other and then one of them dies. That concept in itself is not "sappy" it's "tragic." If anyone can write it to make it real and not some fairy tale love story, which I would be upset with too, it's GRRM.

I don't know where or when this was supposedly said by GRRM, but I don't doubt it outright because so many others seem to have knowledge of it. Although you are right, it could be a "he said that she said that they overheard him say" kind of thing.

I doubt it outright, because I have never seem anyone be able to come up with any support for it despite numerous challenges. It is just one of those unfounded rumours that acquired a life of their own.

And really, it would be most unlike GRRM to say something so definite. If he had said it, he would be definitively telling us that Dany, Jon, Stannis, Tommen, Myrcella and several others will not end up on the throne. It would seem highly unlikely he would give such a big spoiler for the sort of series ASoIaF is, depending at least partly on its numerous shocking plot twists.

No, they had red with a white cross on. The closest is the Teutonic knights who had white with a black cross.

I don't think there were any templars that used black as the main color.

The early Hospitallers wore black with a white cross. They changed in the mid 13th Century to red with a white cross - according to wikipedia in 1248 at the orders of pope Innocent IV.

• 1 year later...

Personally I think people who change their names slightly mentally unstable... It's just a prejudice of mine. A sister changed her name when she changed her religion, it's really difficult to remember to call her by her new name.... she has always been eccentric (though I love her dearly).

I am still hopeful that Jon will leave that awful monastery.

Also it would be awesome that once the Others have been truly defeated that the NightWatch is reformed and the whole nonsense about celibacy is removed, it was silly to have the celibacy requirement in the first place (it's a huge disincentive to join the NightWatch in the first place-especially for such an essential and important job of being the only standing army in Westeros) and hopefully turned into a proper army aka the Black Watch in real life.

The criminals can be used to make Roads, ports, public works etc (like real life criminals), rather than giving people like Biter weapons...

Personally I think people who change their names slightly mentally unstable... It's just a prejudice of mine.

No, you’re right. I’ve known a couple of those mentally unstable cases, but the most common cases are those who use aliases for criminal purposes. As a policeman once remarked, only criminals go by fake names, because they have something they’re trying to hide.

No, you’re right. I’ve known a couple of those mentally unstable cases, but the most common cases are those who use aliases for criminal purposes. As a policeman once remarked, only criminals go by fake names, because they have something they’re trying to hide.

I thought so. There is this book http://www.amazon.com/Thats-Just-Way-Understanding-Troublemakers/dp/1904879594/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316692280&sr=8-2

and one of the little cartoons of a lady with BPD, was her mother saying "Now that you've suddenly become a lesbian you're still not happy" (or words to that effect).

the essence of the cartoon being that people with BPD think that if they can change something exterior (their sexuality, their name, their religion whatever) they will change their deep internal problems.

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come." (NW Oath)

T4P. Jon will do all of these things imo.

His name should just be Jon Targaryen. I thought he would be known as the Wolf Dragon but Wallbreaker sounds nice.

In addition, I thought that his real name might be Daeron because he said in his first chapter that the Young Dragon was one of his heroes growing up but I changed my mind. If he has a son then maybe he can name him that or Rhaegar.

I always thought that his birth name was Aemon. IMO, it would suit Jon better than Viserys or Jaehaerys or any other Targ name (or a name smush — seriously, these are just silly.) When Jon was a child he used to call out "I am prince Aemon the Dragonknight!" in his shouting game/training with Robb and Maester Aemon was a big part of his life at the Wall, so it would be kinda sweet if it turned out he shared his birth name with them.

Not that it matters, because I don't see him ever changing his first name officially or thinking of himself as something other than Jon.

Jon's attitude is such that even if it turns out he was born a targ, He's always going to think of himself as Eddard Stark's son. He's become almost proud of bastard name, and everything he's done to this point has been as Jon Snow, bastard son of Eddard Stark.

He won't take a crown, and he won't leave the wall. The end of the series will see him standing on top of the wall, staring out at the north and thinking about everything that has happened in his long life, and as he turns to leave the wall he hears three long horn blasts.

Jon's attitude is such that even if it turns out he was born a targ, He's always going to think of himself as Eddard Stark's son. He's become almost proud of bastard name, and everything he's done to this point has been as Jon Snow, bastard son of Eddard Stark.

He won't take a crown, and he won't leave the wall. The end of the series will see him standing on top of the wall, staring out at the north and thinking about everything that has happened in his long life, and as he turns to leave the wall he hears three long horn blasts.

have you finished ADWD

Archived