So I read a Stanek book

Larry.

Alguin,

They appear to be out of circulation. But, they had to have bought them to put them into circulation in the first place.

Stanek states here that he donated over $250,000 to schools and libraries -- probably an exaggeration, but I can imagine Stanek trying to "place" his books in libraries and schools across the country and considering that to be a "donation".

My library only has 9 of his computer-tech books that he writes under his real name, William R. Stanek. But my former library has two of his fantasy audio books available as digital downloads.

So far, so good. No hotmail "lawyers" contacting me. Hope everyone found the quotes to be edifying, even if your minds may have gasped a bit.

The samples provided on audible.com are hard to stomach. I could only stand a few minutes of this free 9 minute introduction to his Ruinmist novels before I had to jab nails into my ears (and the music is interesting to say the least):

I guess it's not narrated by him, but this narration is really something. The narrator only knows how to say a phrase in one way. That way of saying the sentence is very unnatural. Also, it lacks any drama after you have heard it for three minutes.

This is the least interesting intro I have ever (not) been sucked into. Even the backs of books are more interesting because they only list the relevant bits. Here is what I learned:

The history is divided into several ages: "The first age is the age of Titans. The second age is the age of men, elves, and dwarves. The third age is the age of men and elves. The fourth age is the age of men."

You know, my thesis is written in a more interesting manner than that. Maybe I should get someone to read it out loud and put it on Audible. This definitely reads like technical writing, though, so far.

"The first age is the age of Titans. The second age is the age of men, elves, and dwarves. The third age is the age of men and elves. The fourth age is the age of men."

Wait, wut?! Shouldn't the first age be the age of Titans, men, elves and dwarves?! Where's the logic in that? :shocked:

Ask not for whom the Stanek writes, the Stanek writes for thee!

And the first rule of Stanek Club is that we don't discuss Stanek Club...or Stanek, for that matter.

So far, so good. No hotmail "lawyers" contacting me. Hope everyone found the quotes to be edifying, even if your minds may have gasped a bit.

I'll PM him on Facebook so he can read your review. . . :)

We've become real buddies since he called me the kind of guy who gets shanked in prison! ;)

Patrick

We've become real buddies since he called me the kind of guy who gets shanked in prison! ;)

Patrick

You know you want to post a link to this on your blog :P

Do you think Stanek believes himself a writer or is it only a parody? I liked the quotes in these pages. His books are compared to "The eye of Argon" but are the audiobooks as well read as

? Unfortunately I think it will be impossible to find used copies of his works in Korea, I could have wasted time finding some more gems.

Patrick

My gods that would be an interesting luncheon to sit on just to see the interview process in action to see how the humble blogger copes under the weight of the great man's gaze while explaining how he came about all of this, his own little world...

I'm embarassed to say my local public library has copies of four of Stanek's books. That means my tax dollars went to support Robert Stanek.

*vomits*

Do you live in Richland County? I just checked the catalog and saw several of his tech books but none of his fantasy. The tech books are, as far as I know, traditionally published.

koolkat,

Nope, I'm in Lexington County. I usually go to the Irmo Branch. Are you in South Carolina?

I'm relieved to hear it, because the RCPL has a special place in my heart and as far as I know they're reasonably discerning about what they buy (it has to have at least a PW or Booklist review).

And I was, until two weeks ago.

Archived