A Thread for Small Questions IV

Lady Blackfish

It might be for the same reason why he didn't make Varys or Robert Baratheon POVs, or the problem that he might be having in Meereen -- it might have been too hard to avoid giving away too much if we saw everything from his perspective as well as Catelyn's. He tries not to have too many POVs clumped together in the same place -- and when he does, they're usualy on different sides of an issue (Tyrion and Catelyn in the 1st book) so it doesn't just feel like a retread of another character. Something like that happened with Jaime and Cersei in the 4th book -- that was the first time we had both of them as POVs in the same place at the same time, and Jaime spent all of those chapters arguing with her and then left on a road trip as quickly as possible.

He wanted to avoid having rulers as POVs, with Dany being an exception ... and I suppose Cersei. He preferred that in general you saw their actions only from the outside. He also liked the fact that he could have Robb carrying out these exploits that you only heard about in an occasionally-garbled way, reflecting the limited levels of communication you had.

Guest Other-in-Law

To be honest, the whole Euron/Aeron-thing reminded me of Egg's talk about Aerion coming to his room at night threatening to make him a woman so he would be able to marry him. It does not need to be actual sexual abuse

I see that sort of emasculation as a possibility, but don't you see threatening genital mutilation as a form of sexual abuse? The key aspect of Euron's past deeds to Aeron is that they are so humiliating that Aeron himself is incapable of speaking of them, even to think about them directly. The rusty hinge thoughts are it bubbling up through his subconscious, but it seems to me he's trying not to face it directly. As such it would be a little disappointing if Damphair didn't resolve his issues somehow.

I like to hope that Euron didn't do anything to Aeron physically, because if he did that means that he has every negative personality trait possible.

Euron's not a religious fundamentalist.

I seem to remember him bragging about how he rapes and kills people for worshipping foreign gods. He was probably being glib, but that just makes it worse -- he has the brutality of a fundamentalist zealot but he doesn't actually have any religious motivation at all -- he joined the Taliban JUST to be a dick.

I seem to remember him bragging about how he rapes and kills people for worshipping foreign gods. He was probably being glib, but that just makes it worse -- he has the brutality of a fundamentalist zealot but he doesn't actually have any religious motivation at all -- he joined the Taliban JUST to be a dick.

That's just his comeback for when Damphair interrupts his monologue. Which doesn't mean he's less evil, he just isn't really even pretending to be religious.

Does anyone know how they're filming the HBO series? Are they filming it with POV's? A POV or 2 per episode would be an interesting way to film a series.

Well, I don't know about the GoT series specifically, but that was the way Lost was shot - each episode was centered on a specific character while managing to keep it an ensemble show, so that's entirely possible. On the other hand, we need to see how the translation from book to tv works for ASoIaF, since there are what?, ten episodes planned? I don't know if there's the time for a POV-based narrative the way it is in the books (or was handled in Lost). I suspect we will get a more classic storytelling in the series.

Also, I have a question myself - do we know how old is Podrick Payne? For some reason I have the mental image of a boy in his early teens, but I've seen him represented as more childish looking than this, so I really have no idea :)

Also, I have a question myself - do we know how old is Podrick Payne? For some reason I have the mental image of a boy in his early teens, but I've seen him represented as more childish looking than this, so I really have no idea :)

I've searched my e-books, and Tyrion remarks that Pod is twelve in his fourth ACOK-chapter.

Everyone thinks Jon was born in the South, in Dorne, whether to Ashara or to Wylla,

so why isn't he called Jon Sand?

He was probably raised in the North, so Snow stuck. Besides, doesn't "Jon Snow" have a better ring to it than "Jon Sand"?

I think Jon is called "Snow" because Eddard claimed fatherhood. But that does not explain why Mya is called "Stone" when Robert made quite clear that he was the father. Since her mother was no noble (if I remember correctly) she should be either Mya Storm or just Mya.

Does anyone know how they're filming the HBO series? Are they filming it with POV's? A POV or 2 per episode would be an interesting way to film a series.

there is roughly a chapter every 10 pages, so 800/10 = 80. Theres going to be 10 episodes, so 80/10 = 8.

so I think there will be around 8 chapters per episode.

Guest Other-in-Law

He was probably raised in the North, so Snow stuck.

This. It's where the bastard is raised.

Mya Stone: Vale mother, Stormlands father, raised in the Vale

Edric Storm: Reach mother, Stormlands father, raised in the Stormlands

Aegor Rivers: Kingsland father, Riverlands mother, raised in the Riverlands

Brynden Rivers: Kingsland father, Riverlands mother, raised in the Riverlands

Obara Sand: Reach mother, Dornish father, raised in Dorne

Those are the only bastards I can think of offhand where the parents were from different regions (in most cases they're probably from the same region, since most people wouldn't travel very far). Tyene Sand's mother was presumably Westerosi, but I don't know her region. I expect Mance Rayder's son will eventually be Aemon Flowers, despite not having any Reach blood at all.

It's also probably a very informal system; since borders have shifted over the years. The Storm King conquered most of the Riverlands a few generations before the Ironborn did, and somehow the Blackwater Bay area bastards got "Waters", despite that not having been a separate kingdom before the Conquest. "Baratheon" may have been the name given to a Targaryen bastard on Dragonstone, so Waters may not have originated in those Narrow Sea isles. Maybe it was a Targaryen innovation post-Conquest, or maybe a survivor from when there were dozens or hundreds of petty kingdoms in Westeros.

Osha thinks that Mance Rayder means to fight the Others when she talks to Bran in AGOT, but Mance tells Jon in ASoS that he's fleeing the Others with his tail between his legs. Did Osha misunderstood Mance's intentions when he summoned the wildlings to the Frostfangs, or did Mance originally intend to fight the Others, fail, and only then decide to fall back beyond the Wall?

Guest Other-in-Law

Did Osha misunderstood Mance's intentions when he summoned the wildlings to the Frostfangs, or did Mance originally intend to fight the Others, fail, and only then decide to fall back beyond the Wall?

"When the dead walk, walls and stakes and swords mean nothing. You cannot fight the dead, Jon Snow. No man knows that half so well as me."

Kinslayers are thought of as being accursed and people in the books always tut-tut or shudder whenever they are talking of a kinslayer. But what actually happens to kinslayers? Is there anything in the books that point to a story of a person killing a family member and something terrible happening to them? Only reason I ask is that Tyrion is a kinslayer and wondered what fate awaits him...

Guest Other-in-Law

Is there anything in the books that point to a story of a person killing a family member and something terrible happening to them? Only reason I ask is that Tyrion is a kinslayer and wondered what fate awaits him...

It seems to be merely an expectation of karmic justice, not a special legal punishment. Offhand Bael the Bard's son became the Stark Lord of Winterfell who slew his father unwittingly...and later on was skinned by the Boltons. That's the only kinslayer horror I can think of; the brothers Ser Aryk and Ser Errik slew each other during the Dance of the Dragons, and so got off relatively easily.

Archived