Brienne's last word

MoJo

What POV character is going to wander around to spot and identify her remains? :P

Could be a one-off character, or Jaime, or some new POV like Bertrand the Bread Maker, who can continue to give us perspective on the BWB and show us how noble UnCat really is.

The more time goes on, the more I feel like UnCat was a horrible idea... and not in a good way...

You know, if we're gonna continue on this thread, I just finished a re-read of ACoK today, and in the chapter where Brienne swears her oath to Catelyn, she asks Catelyn to promise her that she will not hold her back from her revenge on Stannis for Renly, whenever that may come. Could be that the word is actually Stannis.

Huh. I quite like this. It would fit in with Stoneheart's revenge obsession.

One thing I like about the books is the sense of ... nonfiction :D in the sense that some things flow/get disrupted/erupt out of random facts or isolated personal aware actions pointing one way. I can't isolate one person being responsible of the actual situation of the realm (even though it comes to my mind that if Robert haven't been a total ass at ruling the kingdom/deal with his family this situation wouldn't have been cooked up so fast, but maybe he had "help" on his way towards debt and incompetence -I think he was lazy when administration and everyday ruling came in). War was something happening anyway because there were many interests going that way (besides Varys and LF plotting I consider that with a weak leadership main houses restlessness is something to be expected).

I still have doubts about why Brienne remained in that situation, I wonder what's the point of hanging her and the others. It looks like war violence nonsense, as a platoon gone awkwardly out of control. I didn't like Catelyn before, as UnCat I like her even less, what can I say. Maybe Brienne could only whisper a random word, or murmur the name of the man she loves (or the one she wants dead perhaps), whatever name that might be. She has been highly unlucky, poor girl.

Until now it looks like being honorable leads to an early grave, and it's been shown in great detail how wars (and call a war "civil" is in a way funny) is a business where none comes out perfectly clean. Those with clean hands are fertilizing the land and feeding crows, very realistic indeed.

You know, if we're gonna continue on this thread, I just finished a re-read of ACoK today, and in the chapter where Brienne swears her oath to Catelyn, she asks Catelyn to promise her that she will not hold her back from her revenge on Stannis for Renly, whenever that may come.

The irony is suffocating.

It wouldn't surprise me if her last word is "oathkeeper" and the sword comes flying and cuts her rope... and to all those who will be thinking "well, that's just STUPID... this guy most be a complete moron...", well yes, it WOULD be stupid and I would be highly disappointed if that turns out to be the case. But this is a fantasy story and the sword is/was a magical sword... and well, who have ever heard of a girl walking into a funeral pyre without getting burned.. or walking dead, or skinchangers etc...

Personally, I hope Brienne agree to kill Jaime the crippled bastard... or atleast take his other hand, his tongue and his cock...! But, then Brienne wouldn't be the person she is... aaah... we'll just have to wait and see

It wouldn't surprise me if her last word is "oathkeeper" and the sword comes flying and cuts her rope... and to all those who will be thinking "well, that's just STUPID... this guy most be a complete moron...", well yes, it WOULD be stupid and I would be highly disappointed if that turns out to be the case. But this is a fantasy story and the sword is/was a magical sword... and well, who have ever heard of a girl walking into a funeral pyre without getting burned.. or walking dead, or skinchangers etc...

Just because it was forged using sorcery does not mean it will suddenly become a deux ex machina and gain abilities like flying.

Just because it was forged using sorcery does not mean it will suddenly become a deux ex machina and gain abilities like flying.

True, true... and that's why I think it would be a shame if that's what'll happen, hopefully our dear Georgie's got more sense than that

I still favor the last word convincing Thoros to give her the kiss shortly after death and then she leads those of the BWB that still have honor away from Un-Cat in search of the Stark girls. Think of Brienne as the next Beric.

I still favor the last word convincing Thoros to give her the kiss shortly after death and then she leads those of the BWB that still have honor away from Un-Cat in search of the Stark girls. Think of Brienne as the next Beric.

Great idea. I'll go for anything other than "sword". Guest right, justice and death, none of them seem to mean as much as they used to.

I have to wonder about one detail: hasn't the "honorable" BwB (including Edric Dayne) already split from Stoneheart? So a Brienne faction would make three, unless she goes to join Dayne's contingent.

Well, Thoros is certainly nearby, so revival is possible. Would he kiss Pod and Hunt as well?

Whatever happens, I think Brienne's last word cliffhanger will serve one or more of three purposes: demonstrate how evil Stoneheart's BwB blind vengeance has become; show how incompatible love and honor are for an ideal knight; and/or provide a reentry drama for Sandor. (And for those objecting "deus ex machina", I say the charge isn't valid when there's so much motivational setup, reaching back to the non-kiss and before, and Brienne's announcement of her quest at the Quiet Isle.)

It seems like all the "last words" are predicated on the belief that Brienne wants to say something, anything, that will keep her alive.

What if she believes she is going to die and wants to say a word to justify her life?

So, is she going to yell out a word to live by or a word to die by?

I vote for Brienne saying "Oathkeeper" - she wants to die as she lived, with honor.

However, they will cut her down thinking she has said "the right word" for them,(boy, will she be surprised)

or...GRRM will let her die with honor. He does play with us that way.

I've been reading this board ever since i finished AFFC a couple of weeks ago. Some of the theories on here i agree with i.e R+L=J, Sandor = Gravedigger etc. However, i don't agree with the theory that Brienne shouted 'Sword' before she was (presumably) hanged.

I think it is quite obvious what she said. SAPPHIRES!. She has clearly fallen for Jaime by the end of AFFC. Who wouldn't think of the ones they love when death comes knockin'? I know i certainly would.

I think she shouts "Cake!".

And so this thread is now about Cake.

I also think she dies, e.g. her word, whatever it is, has no power to save her. The real point of the whole affair is what Jaime is going to do after he finds her.

You know, if we're gonna continue on this thread, I just finished a re-read of ACoK today, and in the chapter where Brienne swears her oath to Catelyn, she asks Catelyn to promise her that she will not hold her back from her revenge on Stannis for Renly, whenever that may come. Could be that the word is actually Stannis.

or Revenge!

I think she shouts "Cake!".

And so this thread is now about Cake.

I also think she dies, e.g. her word, whatever it is, has no power to save her. The real point of the whole affair is what Jaime is going to do after he finds her.

There is no cake. ;) Haven't you played Portal?

• 3 weeks later...

I have thought about this quite a bit- my first inclination was that she shouted "Arya" and I'm sticking to it. Think about the context of the last conversation between Catelyn and Brienne- Brienne had sworn to find Sansa AND Arya and bring them back. In her travels she was looking for Sansa but didn't find anything reliable. On the other hand, Brienne knew firsthand from Septon Meribald that Arya was with Sandor Clegane and heading to Saltpans- and fairly recently.

Neither Thoros or anyone else in the BwB said anything to Brienne about Sansa or Arya and thus she might assume that UnCat is ignorant of Arya's survival. (I'm not even sure if UnCat cares about her daughters at this point, only revenge.) Even so if Brienne wanted to live, the only thing that she could yell and hope to live was "Arya". I think Brienne still wanted to live and i know she wanted poor Podrick to live. Yelling "Stanis" would likely be misconstrued and get her killed, yelling "Oathkeeper" would almost definitely be misconstrued and get her killed/tortured. Yelling "Sapphires" would maybe confuse people for a second, but still get her killed. I believe that Brienne thought the only chance to reach UnCat would be to invoke a memory of her former life when she wasn't so... zombie.

Then again, UnCat might kill Brienne regardless of what she says. That's why i love you GRRM.

Whatever happens, I think Brienne's last word cliffhanger will serve one or more of three purposes: demonstrate how evil Stoneheart's BwB blind vengeance has become; show how incompatible love and honor are for an ideal knight; and/or provide a reentry drama for Sandor. (And for those objecting "deus ex machina", I say the charge isn't valid when there's so much motivational setup, reaching back to the non-kiss and before, and Brienne's announcement of her quest at the Quiet Isle.)

Bingo.

Brienne will not have a happy end; neither will Jaime. Or Arya and Catelyn, for that matter. These are facts.

The time constraints of the book and the story itself cannot support another quest for Brienne, be it to the Vale or to Braavos. Her story is basically over. All that's left is the logical conclusion to it all.

Bingo.

Brienne will not have a happy end; neither will Jaime. Or Arya and Catelyn, for that matter. These are facts.

The time constraints of the book and the story itself cannot support another quest for Brienne, be it to the Vale or to Braavos. Her story is basically over. All that's left is the logical conclusion to it all.

You do realize there's two more books to come, right? It depends entirely on how much of a role Martin wants her to play later on.

I doubt ANYONE will have a happy end at this rate. Dany might. She reached her lowest point in the first book, after all. Everything's been on the up since then, and by the end of ADWD she'll likely be set up as the most perfect ruler this series will allow for (i.e. good but with some character flaws).

It's unlikely that Brienne will have a happy end, but not impossible. My scenario wherein she ends up guarding Sansa as her sworn knight in Winterfell is entirely feasible.

However, it does seem more Martinesque to completely annihilate the character and have her die a horrible unsung death for the crime of trying to be an honourable person, so that's likely to be what will happen.

Archived