The NFL thread #8

davos

Change the QB, change the coach, change the entire defense and still the Redskins go to the Meadowlands and get dominated in every possible way. Get the familiar sight of Brandon Jacobs trucking Redskins left and right. This is as much of a rivalry as a hammer versus a nail.

wow did the Lions just get HOSED!!!

Apparently you can't even push a quarterback down without it being unnessary roughness. They called it a forearm to the back of the head yet it was CLEARLY a two-handed push to the back. just BAD.

ETA: Yeah let me clarify. Cutler was running past the line of scrimmage with the ball when Suh hit him. Somewhere Andy Reid is laughing.

The Lions are hanging in there against Chicago but I fear the end is near. (Indeed, Chicago just took the lead as I type.)

Another crappy call for roughing against Suh this time. Cutler was running, past the line of scrimmage, Suh (somewhat violently) pushes him down and they call it a forearm.

I actually had hopes the Lions could get a third win out of this but it has been years since they've won in their division. I think I'll turn it off now before it gets worse.

Sportscasters were just talking about if the NFL should look at playoff seed method in future. So an 10-6 or even 11-6 wildcard team doesn't have to play on the road vs an 8-8 div winner.

My first response is no way... but I can see the other point. The 8-8 div winner would still go to the playoffs, they'd just become the wildcard. I dunno, it doesn't sit right with me.

Good win by the Bears, though they made me stress a little more than necessary. Defense finally buckled down and put a stop to the Lions offense in the second half, which was worrying me. That Lions drive for a TD with a minute left in the first half could have been a momentum killer for the D, but they came out pissed off.

wow did the Lions just get HOSED!!!

Apparently you can't even push a quarterback down without it being unnessary roughness. They called it a forearm to the back of the head yet it was CLEARLY a two-handed push to the back. just BAD.

ETA: Yeah let me clarify. Cutler was running past the line of scrimmage with the ball when Suh hit him. Somewhere Andy Reid is laughing.

To be fair, it was only obvious that it was two hands when they replayed it in slow motion. Even then, the motion of Suh's right hand looked like he was giving the forearm. In real time, which the refs were watching in, it looked like a forearm hit. Bad call when all was said and done, but it can be argued that it was the right call on the field.

And without the call, the Bears were in field goal range. Assuming they only get the field goal and tie it up, they forced the Lions to punt and then marched right back into field goal range. If it were tie game, they don't kneel and either keep marching to score or kick the game-winner.

The call was a non-factor.

Jaim, I just wanted to tell you, you shouldn't feel the need to compete with the Bills in turnovers. Contrary to popular upstate NY belief, you don't actually have to turn the ball over 4+ times in order to play "good" football.

Also, shit, could the Bengals beat the Saints?

ETA: Going for it?

ETA2: Wow, not sure if I've ever seen that work before. And TD to Colston! Youch. sorry, Mex.

Jaim, I just wanted to tell you, you shouldn't feel the need to compete with the Bills in turnovers. Contrary to popular upstate NY belief, you don't actually have to turn the ball over 4+ times in order to play "good" football.

Also, shit, could the Bengals beat the Saints?

ETA: Going for it?

I think that's crazy that they're going for it but leave it to the Bengals to screw it up.

Oh man that was such a lame offsides call against the Bengals... the defender didn't even cross the line. I know they changed the rules to favor offense (even more). But c'mon....

LOL!! Bucs ARE wearing their old orange uniforms :cheers:

Oh man that was such a lame offsides call against the Bengals... the defender didn't even cross the line. I know they changed the rules to favor offense (even more). But c'mon....

LOL!! Bucs ARE wearing their old orange uniforms :cheers:

He entered the neutral zone and caused the player on the Saints to move. That's an offensive penalty, has been since I can remember.

He entered the neutral zone and caused the player on the Saints to move. That's an offensive penalty, has been since I can remember.

Right, unless they snap the ball when the defender is in the neutral zone. So you agree with me (?) it would have been a false start penalty on the offense if it happened some years ago.

The sportscaster said it was a recent rule change. I don't know when that came into effect but I don't like it.

There are too many rule changes that favor the offense. I understand most/many of them are designed to protect players in dangerous positions. But things like allowing intentional grounding in certain situations is just lame. Etc

It got almost comical. Like the Skins gave up trying to win the game and were more determined to get me some points in the FFL matchups where I was starting NYG D. Was just atrocious all around, like they were practicing holding the ball like a loaf of bread. Not to mention there were like 4-5 plays where the camera angles clearly showed McNabb making the completely wrong read.

What happened to the Bills today? They've been looking frisky against everyone. Of all the teams to blow 'em out wouldn't think it would be the Vikings.

I have to watch the Seahawks/Panthers game. Okay, I don't have to - I could go outside or do something productive - but that's my other option. Instead of seeing the Colts/Cowboys I get...this. And this is horrible. My gods, is the Seahawks offense toothless.

It got almost comical. Like the Skins gave up trying to win the game and were more determined to get me some points in the FFL matchups where I was starting NYG D. Was just atrocious all around, like they were practicing holding the ball like a loaf of bread. Not to mention there were like 4-5 plays where the camera angles clearly showed McNabb making the completely wrong read.

What happened to the Bills today? They've been looking frisky against everyone. Of all the teams to blow 'em out wouldn't think it would be the Vikings.

A defensive failure and four or five turnovers. We basically managed to score our way into competition in all those other games; today, we gave them the ball without putting points up, so the game was essentially one half of a shootout, and we were, uh, not the ones pulling the trigger.

To be fair, it was only obvious that it was two hands when they replayed it in slow motion. Even then, the motion of Suh's right hand looked like he was giving the forearm. In real time, which the refs were watching in, it looked like a forearm hit. Bad call when all was said and done, but it can be argued that it was the right call on the field.

And without the call, the Bears were in field goal range. Assuming they only get the field goal and tie it up, they forced the Lions to punt and then marched right back into field goal range. If it were tie game, they don't kneel and either keep marching to score or kick the game-winner.

The call was a non-factor.

That play gave them a first down. Anything could have happened had they needed a first down instead. That was a HUGE call. And I totally disagree with you that it even looked like a forearm. He extended his arms and his fault is that he STRONGLY pushed Cutler down. Cutler went down like a rag doll and the flag was thrown.

ETA: Holy fawk, Dallas 17-0 over the Colts. Manning 2 picks including a pick 6. Wow does he struggle against the 3-4

A few observations I made during the 49ers - Packers game:

Highlander: Endgame is a really bad movie. Maybe it makes more sense if I ever watched the show, but I don't know if that would've helped the badness.

Speaking of which, the 49ers can't keep driving down field and then leaving 4 points there if they expect to win anytime soon. Signing Jeff Reed isn't the answer because if you're using him you're losing.

And when in the hell did they make a movie with Jennifer Garner, Timothy Olyphant, Juliette Lewis, and Kevin Smith? I mean, you'd think I'd have at least heard of it. Can't tell if it's a drama or a comedy. And yes I'm talking about the 49ers again.

Solid win by the Pack. They took over in the 2nd half. Rodgers was quite effective after a slow start. This was the kind of win that a top team needs to be able to grind out against over-matched competition.

I'm worried they could get caught looking ahead to the difficult final 3 games of their schedule next week at Detroit. The Lions have come close to beating some really good teams. They will have a great chance to finally collect a win against a top tier opponent and to really hurt the Packer's playoff chances. Meanwhile GB will have to get themselves up to play against a weaker opponent on the road. They are in a position where 1 more loss would make their prospects very dicey, something that will likely happen at NE in 2 weeks. They simply can't afford to drop another game.

Archived