The NFL thread #8

davos

Naturally, Weis has returned to the NFL and has quietly been able to beat the fuck out of San Diego, thus ensuring more success in the playoffs for New England.

Pshaw. It's not like the Pats fear the Chargers in the playoffs. That's why they're a preferable AFC West power to the Broncos. They keep the Chargers around to beat the Colts.

Manning doesn't trust some guys and doesn't have the timing down with other guys, Dallas Clark isn't there to bail him out any more, and his line is worse than ever. No run support. He's forcing it more than he's had to, because he's all there is, and he's below critical mass of competent skill players on offense. No one can do it alone. Not even a Four Time MVP.

Also, Mark Sanchez is pouting again. I have not enjoyed a Pats game this much in years.

I interrupt discussion of the ass-whooping at hand to ask a question. Peyton has thrown 11 picks in 3 games. This is nuts.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what's up?

My best guess? Peyton's older, and it's awfully tiring carrying an entire team on your shoulders (and throwing arm) year after year.

What's more amazing to me is the fact that he hasn't thrown more picks considering how many passes he's attempted this year.

When do you think Bill Belichick's deal with the devil will come due? Will we get to see it live on TV on the sideline, when his dark master comes up from the depths of the underworld and seizes him to collect on his end of the bargain?

It's more likely, though, that Bill Belichick traded his soul for a second-round pick. Then somehow talked Satan into trading the soul back to Belichick for a fifth-rounder.

More! More!

I feel like such a glutton but I need to fill homeric Rockroi's absence. I am looking forward to his recap post that is surely coming tomorrow.

I'd say it's coming in approximately 45 minutes. :P He won't be able to stop himself from logging in after this game. He may or may not be drunk.

Gotta say, I kinda enjoy the ballsy no mercy ethos of Belichick. Something primal about it - never relent, never let up. He won't just beat you, he'll break your mind in the process.

Guessing this is pretty much the last we'll see of Zadok.

Gotta say, I kinda enjoy the ballsy no mercy ethos of Belichick. Something primal about it - never relent, never let up. He won't just beat you, he'll break your mind in the process.

It's the Cobra Kai in you, Jaim. :)

So... anyone still willing to say that the Broncos got the better deal out of the Cutler trade? Imagine if McDaniels hadn't run off all the talent... Cutler/Marshall/Royal/Sheffler/Hillis/Moreno with a good offensive line protecting them. The defense would still blow, but that's a scary lineup.

I interrupt discussion of the ass-whooping at hand to ask a question. Peyton has thrown 11 picks in 3 games. This is nuts. Jaws claimed earlier in the year that he'd observed some stuff on film that suggested that Peyton wasn't quite the same anymore. This was early in the year far beyond this recent barrage of interceptions.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what's up?

There are several factors.

-Injuries at a lot of positions and a lack of quality backups.

-Young, inexperienced receivers probably require simpler packages. I recall reading that the OC calls an offensive package and Manning picks out the plays in the huddle or at the line. This likely helps defenses have some type of idea of what's coming.

-An offensive line that can't buy him the 4+ seconds of time in the pocket so that he can find one of his many options.

-There is no running game at all, which means 100% of the offense is on his shoulders now, rather than the usual 70-90%.

-Injuries on defense means he's playing from behind a lot or watching his lead evaporate.

Combine it all together and you got a guy trying too hard and forcing too many throws. Someone with his skill can force some passes in there, but he can only do it so many times before it doesn't work. Plus, the amazing amount of luck that Indianapolis seemed to have corralled has disappeared. The balls simply don't bounce their way anymore.

I'm kind of glad I haven't been paying much attention to this game. Jesus. Especially as this is one of maybe two or three teams who I'll root for the Jets against.

Archived