I hate cheese, District 9 and Lord of the Rings

denstorebog

Guest Raidne

(1) Sports. I don't get it. I kind of like basketball and hockey. I enjoy going to games and actually watching the game if it's basketball or hockey. Otherwise, I love stadiums and sporting events, but you'll be lucky to see me even watch 5 minutes of the actual game. I really, really, really don't get sports on TV.

(2) Babies. Thank the gods most of my friends' babies are now toddlers. Toddlers are kind of fun. Babies...what is it? What does it want? What do I do with it? Why does it have that stupid look on its face?

(3) Paul Thomas Anderson. I've devoted an entire thread to this already, so I won't go into it here. But really, if I had to choose between being stuck in a roomful of TV monitors playing football and golf, crying babies, and fans of Paul Thomas Anderson talking about Paul Thomas Anderson, I'd pick one, and possibly even two, over #3. The only thing I like less than Paul Thomas Anderson is anything written by...

(4) R. Scott Bakker.

Parties. Maybe others don't like them either, I'm not sure. But standing around in a room in uncomfortable heels whilst balancing a small plate of rubber food and a glass of inferior wine is not my idea of a good time.

Where flats and drink beer or cocktails. I'm not even sure wine should be *allowed* at parties. If it's good, nobody's going to appreciate it, and if it's not good, why are we drinking it? Exceptions for inexpensive sparkling wine like Prosecco, wine cocktails, spiced wine, and sangria.

Anyway, I love parties! At the bar, mostly you're just going to talk to the people you came with, but at parties you get to meet new people. OTOH, I'm talking about parties of 15-30 people. Or less. Basically a dinner party with slightly more people and small plates. I loathe huge frat-party gatherings. Loathe.

1. Cats. Sorry to my cat loving friends. I'll tolerate my friends' cats for the love I have for my friends. It's like other people's children.

2. Other people's children with the noted exception of Maverick a few others. (Maybe "Other people's children" doesn't quite count as I have a feeling that there are actually many others that feel the same way. So in that case, rather than waste all of my #2 slot on this, I will direct you to 2b.

2b. Michael Jackson. His music, him, everything that pertains to him. And Madonna - at least her music.

3. Country, Jazz, Pop/R&B and all things auto-tuned. Cannot tolerate.

1. Steak - people keep trying to convince me that my meat is just cooked wrong, but I've never enjoyed eating big chunks of meat, and beef steak is the worst example. I've never finished any steak I've started (I'd add BBQ to this too, but I dont want to incense people too much)

2. Pizza - I dont mind pizza that much (although with my diabetes I dont eat it that much anymore). But when people keep talking about New York this, Chicago that, I want to say "STFU! Its just cheese on bread. Dont make up fake rivalries based on this. They all taste the same to me"

3. Whisky - I have a gag reflex when whisky/whiskey passes through my lips.

I didn't put babies because I'm convinced that most people don't like babies.

I hate when other people (usually around my age) start talking about TV shows and movies that they watched as kids.

Guest Raidne

Alcohol beverages of some sort or another are tasty to most people, I would venture.

Being drunk is like babies. Your own is awesome, other folks'--not so much.

It is the hangover that prevents me from enjoying my own drunkeness.

Ooh, point well-taken and well-explained but I beg to differ. It's a fine line sometimes, but there's a difference between enjoying alcoholic beverages and being drunk, generally conclusively determined after the fact by whether or not you're going to have a hangover. I've actually sworn off getting drunk and being hungover (cannot handle the feelings of remorse/thinking I'm a fucking idiot that go along with the hangover), but I still think nice to have more than two drinks once in awhile.

There is really no amount of baby that I am in to. Even the photos are mildly distasteful.

(3) Paul Thomas Anderson. I've devoted an entire thread to this already, so I won't go into it here. But really, if I had to choose between being stuck in a roomful of TV monitors playing football and golf, crying babies, and fans of Paul Thomas Anderson talking about Paul Thomas Anderson, I'd pick one, and possibly even two, over #3. The only thing I like less than Paul Thomas Anderson is anything written by...

Can see it even though I remain a fan. I can understand not liking PT Anderson (a scene where the action stops and all the characters in the film start singing Aimee Mann ain't exactly advisable) but what specifically turns you off? The pretentiousness? I'm going to say the pretentiousness.

1) Judd Apatow - So freaking overrated. Every single one with the same plot arc - overgrown manboys embracing maturity to land some chick much hotter than they are. And studios won't make a comedy anymore unless he's involved.

2) Facebook - Honestly for the vast majority of people I know, I don't want to know everything about them and I don't want them to know everything about me. And while it increases connectivity, it's largely of the vapid, unsatisfying variety.

3) Reality TV in all forms - I get it. It's a guilty pleasure. But the thing is, just makes the world feel smaller to me. Really takes whatever magic or mystery there is out of human existence.

Guest Raidne

Can see it even though I remain a fan. I can understand not liking PT Anderson (a scene where the action stops and all the characters in the film start singing Aimee Mann ain't exactly advisable) but what specifically turns you off? The pretentiousness? I'm going to say the pretentiousness.

I'm not entirely sure. I suspect it's the conceit of a director who decided that he's entitled to not care if watching his films is a cohesive or entertaining experience without being good enough to actually justify that, and with a fanbase who's decided that he is talented enough to forgo these traditional concerns just because he has.

Having said that, I like roller girl. Great character. But Magnolia is just unwatchable. Once, I was on a dock waiting for a ferry on Manitou island, and a black deer fly would bite me about every 15 seconds. That was an experience to be sure, and during it I had many, many thoughts about the point of existence and my own mortality, but it's not something I'd pay money for or care to repeat, although I would agree that subjecting people to it would qualify as "art."

Wow, we are a bunch of curmudgeons around here, eh?

Let's see, for me...

1) Kids. Babies are okay, they are mildly cute and don't really do much (crying babies are another story, but NO ONE like those). Kids, on the other hand, are annoying. They are loud. They are restless. They break things. They have sticky hands that they put all over everything. You are expected to get involved in inane conversations with them and treat their smallest achievements as the next coming of Einstein.

2) Dogs. I do not think their slavish, dumb love is anything special. They slobber, they bark, they smell. I can almost tolerate the little teddy bear ones, but the larger ones are just annoying.

3) Baseball. Seriously this has to be the boringest sport ever invented. I cannot stomach even an inning of it. American pastime my ass--give me good ol' football any day!

1. The fact that we are allowed to express our opinions about everything except GRRM on this board.

If GRRM ran red lights, were a cannibal, or the most dangerous thing in Asia, we could talk about him all we want in the current threads.

2) Dogs. I do not think their slavish, dumb love is anything special. They slobber, they bark, they smell. I can almost tolerate the little teddy bear ones, but the larger ones are just annoying.

Agreed. It's like a cat, but more effort and more mess.

3) Baseball. Seriously this has to be the boringest sport ever invented. I cannot stomach even an inning of it. American pastime my ass--give me good ol' football any day!

My belief that people who enjoy watching baseball are simply engaging in a massive organized trolling of the sports-watching world is all that maintains my respect for the citizens of the USA.

Archived