I hate cheese, District 9 and Lord of the Rings

denstorebog

1. The role of golf in business culture. I don’t even hate the sport itself, but I can’t understand watching it on TV. But what I really hate is the fact that more decisions about promotions are handled on a golf course than a board room. It is almost to the point where you have to not only play, but be good, to get a damn raise. Two months ago got my ass chewed out for not allowing three of my people to take a free day off work to participate in a golf tournament, which was being held two weeks after I got a similar ass-chewing for letting a pregnant girl, who has no vacation saved up due to multiple surgeries and resultant complications, take a half day off for an ultrasound without charging her for it. Hypocrisy much?

2. Lord of the Rings. I wanted to like them more than I actually did, but a second or third time through didn’t make the books or movies any better. I feel exactly the same about Inception.

3. The Biggest Loser. No explanation required.

2. TATTOOS - Sometimes they are really awesome. I appreciate a well done piece of art. What I don't like is when everyone and their dog has poor to mediocre tattoos and you're supposed to gush over them. Oh awesome, you've got that ... thing ... what's it supposed to be again? ... on your leg ... forever. What a good life choice you've made. You can't tell them you don't like it because it means something to them, they are usually damn proud of it, and it's a done deal so saying 'it's awful' is just going to cause hard feelings. Like Smegma said, on certain people they look good and fit their personality, but the vast majority of the people with tattoos don't fit this profile. And apparently it's true that it's addicting because once someone gets a small, tasteful and easily hidden tattoo of the soccer-mom-without-a-cause variety, they go buck wild and get more ... and they go BIGGER. Gah - maybe I just have the wrong friends. And maybe it's my fault for not telling them not to. I prefer the clean lines of the human body and a tattoo stops my eye and is jarring.

I forgot about tatts. I dunno who said it but my favourite one liner about tattoos is: "Tattoos are a permanent sign of temporary insantiy." I've never seen a tatto I liked, so I don't really dig it as an art form. There are plenty of cultures where they are part of who you are, and even signify your status in the community, or tell your life story and that's fine. But tattooing to me almost seems a bit like a Star Bellied Sneetch phenomenon at the moment. I'll never really understand body piercing either.

There are more people on this board who don't like babies/children than I have ever met in my entire life. It's amazing to not get the "OMG YOU DON'T WANT KIDS?!?! JUST WAIT TIL UR OLDER" reaction. :D

It's the internet. You get alot of that from my experience.

3. IPA - Overblown hops ruins beer for me. Seems like a lot of smaller breweries get off on making beers as hoppy as possible. Fuck that, I don't want to have to chew my beer. I can usually drink one IPA, but I have yet to find one that I truly enjoy.

I'm with you on this. I've tried to acquire the taste, man I have, but they just go down rough. I know to be a beer snob you've got to embrace, and come to love, the hops. But I don't think I ever will at this point.

3. FACEBOOK - Even some of my really good friends make me want to strangle them. How grown adults think it's appropriate or even vaguely interesting (hint, it's not) to hold their entire life and daily routine out for everyone to see and expect them to comment on it is beyond me. Stop it.

Yeah, that's the thing. While it's great FB gives me a way to reconnect with old friends, the downside is it's often like interacting with them on a stage. It brings out the drama queen/attention whore aspect of people which means you get to see an aspect of people you never would've seen before Facebook.

For example I got one friend from college whose posts on FB are just making sarcastic comments and jokes for her current circle of equally caustic friends about the retarded customers she gets at work and which people are too stupid to breed. It's like an endless flow of disdain and it's now the only insight I have into her. I'm sure she's still got a ton of the good qualities I knew her to have back in the day, but I only see her through this narrow and often unflattering FB prism.

Here are my three hates.

1. Crime Drama: You know what I'm talking about. The forty million variations of CSI, various cop dramas, various crime dramas, Law and Order, etc - I dislike them all. I've watched some episodes of them, and I've never, ever been able to get into them. I'm trying out The Wire on recommendation from others, so maybe that will break the streak.

2. Zombies: I've never understood the weird popularity of zombie movies. With maybe a handful of exceptions, they're the lamest movie monsters ever: slow-moving, more or less mindless, and so forth.

3. Breakfast Meat: Namely bacon, eggs, sausage, and so forth. That shit is so gross and greasy - how do you stomach it in the morning? I've tried, and I can't (and I love both meat and fried food).

1. Kittens. Because, c'mon, they are obviously demons. Did you know, that for every 5 seconds you keep looking a kitten in the eye, they steal a fifth of your remaining soul?

Lekitticus 13:06: "And thus it was that David, son of Rachel, found himself drained of the very essence of his being, for he hath gazed upon the spawn of cat. And the Lord spake: Thou must not gaze upon the feline's newborns, for they are unholy."

2. Puppies. Every time a litter of doggies dies in their sleep, I do a little dance of joy. N(w)uff said. (see what I did there?)

3. Sex. All those fluids, and juices, and whatnot? And you want me to lick that?!

Having just come back from the gym I am going to change mine.

1) People that fall asleep on machines - You're supposed to be working out. Not snoring. Get the hell off the equipment so I can use it, thanks. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with you. Poke you with a stick? Tap you lightly on the shoulder? Throw a medicine ball at your head?

2) Grown men sound like they're in labor with each rep - The gym is not a maternity ward. Stop.

3) Middle-aged women that gossip really loudly about trivial shit - No explanation needed.

3. Sex. All those fluids, and juices, and whatnot? And you want me to lick that?!

At the risk of being tarred and feathered for saying this: I had trouble giving my wife oral after she gave birth to our first child. Every time I tried to go down on her I would just imagine the baby bursting forth like an alien, squealing and covered in horrifiyng liquids.

I'd get a gag reflex whenever my tongue felt it, because I imagined the texture of those liquids and...yeah.

I've been on the Internet long to enough to know that somewhere out there in the shadows of cyberspace is a group of people that love everything, if not want to have sexual intercourse with it.

You might be blurring the concept of "stuff that everyone loves". It has to be something that's reasonably popular, not the dark, twisted fetish of a fringe minority of weirdos lurking in the shadowy recesses of your nightmares. If you stretch it to, "Stuff that you hate that someone, somewhere might possibly enjoy" then you might as well make it "Stuff that you hate" and merge this thread with this one.

You might be blurring the concept of "stuff that everyone loves". It has to be something that's reasonably popular, not the dark, twisted fetish of a fringe minority of weirdos lurking in the shadowy recesses of your nightmares. If you stretch it to, "Stuff that you hate that someone, somewhere might possibly enjoy" then you might as well make it "Stuff that you hate" and merge this thread with this one.

You're right, I momentarily forgot this thread was about things everyone else likes. My bad, I'll stick with my original list in that case :P

1) People that fall asleep on machines - You're supposed to be working out. Not snoring. Get the hell off the equipment so I can use it, thanks. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with you. Poke you with a stick? Tap you lightly on the shoulder? Throw a medicine ball at your head?

2) Grown men sound like they're in labor with each rep - The gym is not a maternity ward. Stop.

:D What type of gym do you go to???

At the risk of being tarred and feathered for saying this: I had trouble giving my wife oral after she gave birth to our first child. Every time I tried to go down on her I would just imagine the baby bursting forth like an alien, squealing and covered in horrifiyng liquids.

I'd get a gag reflex whenever my tongue felt it, because I imagined the texture of those liquids and...yeah.

Tarred and feathered for thinking that? It's the other way round, they get tarred and feathered for chiding (if anyone did so.)

That struck me as well reading this thread. I like babies, though. I like little kids in general. I think I've always assumed that one day I'd have some, but its not like I've got it circled on the calendar or anything. I'd like a few more years of freedom before considering it in any case.

Anyway, I got some:

1. Monty Python - Mildly amusing, sure, but not my brand of humor I guess. Lots of people seem to love it though, but I think its annoying.

I can see this. I loved the first hour or so of Holy Grail tho and can chuckle at some of their other stuff. A take it or leave it for me.

2. I think someone mentioned this but - the auto tuner. I dont expect that many people around here are big fans, and nobody I meet in life seems to like it either.. BUT.. there sure are a lot of auto tuner songs. Someone is buying this shit or they'd stop doing it.

That was me and yes, I don't get it AT ALL. So glad somoeone else feels the same.

3. IPA - Overblown hops ruins beer for me. Seems like a lot of smaller breweries get off on making beers as hoppy as possible. Fuck that, I don't want to have to chew my beer. I can usually drink one IPA, but I have yet to find one that I truly enjoy.

But for this, I'm a gonna have to ask you to step outside. Go drink some wheat beer ya pansy. :P

A Public Service Announcement for this thread: Remember, some people here like the things you hate. While the commentary is interesting to an extent, some of the ranting is taking things a bit too far. Remember, these are things a lot of people like that you personally hate. Meaning, there are others here who like what you hate and when you go off about things like tattoos, you are seriously insulting many people here you would not otherwise insult in this manner if they were right in front of you.

I don't have any tattoos personally but I respect those who do. To each their own. Please, try to tone it down. You don't like em, that's cool. Other's love them, have them, want more of them. Even if I hated tattoos, I wouldn't put people down for choosing to have them.

It's really inconsiderate how far some of these mini-rants are going.

1. Kittens. Because, c'mon, they are obviously demons. Did you know, that for every 5 seconds you keep looking a kitten in the eye, they steal a fifth of your remaining soul?

Lekitticus 13:06: "And thus it was that David, son of Rachel, found himself drained of the very essence of his being, for he hath gazed upon the spawn of cat. And the Lord spake: Thou must not gaze upon the feline's newborns, for they are unholy."

2. Puppies. Every time a litter of doggies dies in their sleep, I do a little dance of joy. N(w)uff said. (see what I did there?)

Troll.

Archived