The KitchenAid Stand Mixer! (now help us with a new coffee maker)

MercenaryChef

so, i was sitting here tasting the fruits of my labors, a sweet and rich chocolate chip cookie topped with sea salt and i began to furiously pat myself on the back for developing such a wonderful recipe that is the pinnacle of chocolate chip cookie-ness. and then i began to feel a pang of guilt. i could not have done this without her.

she is a lovely cobalt blue kitchenaid stand mixer that has been with me for the last ten or so years. she traveled with me across the country and was the one thing i would not have even dreamed of parting with in my divorce. yes, you may have the house. the mixer you bought me is coming with me!

but, what would she be without her accessories?

the grinder attachment has opened my life up to the wonderful possibilities of grinding my own burger, making my own sausage, meat for meatballs, meatloaf, etc. these were luxuries previously unknown to me!

one of the finest home meals she ever helped me create was a deep and hearty ragu of freshly ground pork and veal braised slowly with red wine and soffritto. it was made all the more amazing using her pasta rolling attachment to roll out shiny and tasty pappardelle to give that ragu a home.

but, wait there is more!

ice cream, ice cream, we all should make our own! the frozen bowl and churner she has really has changed my life. never again will store-bought ice cream cross my lips. the ice creams, sorbets and frozen yogurts we have made together have truly been some of the most tasty things ever. ever wonder what happens when you take a freshly made chocolate ganache and put it in a ice cream maker? an orgasm in your mouth. that is what!

she also has a slicer/shredder attachment. but, the potential for the device has not been fully unlocked yet. come harvest season in the summer when she is shredding cabbage for jars of sauerkraut and zucchinni for jars of pickled zucchini she will have her day in the sun.

i love you so much, kitchenaid stand mixer. you have taken my cooking to new levels, been with me through some of the worst times in my life and helped me create some of the best. please, never leave me. please, always love me. because i love you.

Sandwich toasters, smoothie makers* and deep fat fryers all come and go, but the food processor is a gadget only surpassed by kettle and toaster in usefulness. *nods*

*"grinds ice cubes" my arse. You mean "rattles them around ineffectively for ages until they melt", surely? Kind of defeats the point if you have to mash em up with a rolling pin.

Scott, you have never used your KitchenAid mixer? For shame. I use the hell out of mine. I have never, in fact, lived in a household without one. I had my parents ancient model all through college, and acquired my current Pro 5 as a wedding present. Thank you thank you thank you dear family friends who spent way way too much money on a wedding present for us! I truly do think of you every time I use it.

Shortly, it's going to knead 10 pizza crusts for me. I have not really played around with the attachments. Just got the attachment for pasta and am looking forward to making my own lasagna noodles.

I will note, however, that they do not hold up to industrial use. My Dad's food lab burns through two every couple of years.

LooN,

Part of the problem is counter space. I don't have a huge kitchen and the mixer takes up a lot of space. So it was put away and hasn't been used.

*blush*

if you are a real man who really loves his family you will use it today.

go out and get a stupid cake mix or some other such frivolity and christen the glorious machine by making something for your family.

or, box the fucking thing up and send it to canada!

man up, scot!

the one thing i would not have even dreamed of parting with in my divorce

The father of my children didn't even ask for it in the split: he knew better. Also, not being a cook, what would he have used it for?

the grinder attachment has opened my life up to the wonderful possibilities of grinding my own burger, making my own sausage, meat for meatballs, meatloaf, etc. these were luxuries previously unknown to me!

<snip>

ice cream, ice cream, we all should make our own! the frozen bowl and churner she has really has changed my life. never again will store-bought ice cream cross my lips. the ice creams, sorbets and frozen yogurts we have made together have truly been some of the most tasty things ever. ever wonder what happens when you take a freshly made chocolate ganache and put it in a ice cream maker? an orgasm in your mouth. that is what!

I was thinking about the grinder attachment (I don't have one) just yesterday and wondering whether it could mince leftover roast beef into cottage-pie filling. Whatcha think, MC?

Sandwich toasters, smoothie makers* and deep fat fryers all come and go, but the food processor is a gadget only surpassed by kettle and toaster in usefulness. *nods*

Food processor or stand mixer, Min? I have both and use them for different things. The food processor comes out for the scalloped potatoes, but the stand mixer does the doughy work, for example.

LooN,

Part of the problem is counter space. I don't have a huge kitchen and the mixer takes up a lot of space. So it was put away and hasn't been used.

Oh come on, Scot, give it a good home! LooN will teach it about preserved lemons and everything.

I was thinking about the grinder attachment (I don't have one) just yesterday and wondering whether it could mince leftover roast beef into cottage-pie filling. Whatcha think, MC?

indeed it would work great! i used my grinder not long ago for lamb for a shepherd's pie i made.

Actually, proper angel cake is ferociously easy to make in the stand mixer because it whips the hell out of the egg whites and fast. :)

yep. whips whites and cream like mad.

indeed it would work great! i used my grinder not long ago for lamb for a shepherd's pie i made.

*makes note for future birthday present requests*

I didn't know about the ice cream maker attachment, but just watched the video and I may be sold. :drool:

At least some good has come of my rampant jealousy.

(I don't even own a microwave, or a stand mixer. :frown5:)

Tbh, microwaves take up a lot of counter space and you give up some of the flavour. When mine dies, it may be replaced by a toaster oven so the Things can fix their own snacks.

Archived