The KitchenAid Stand Mixer! (now help us with a new coffee maker)

MercenaryChef

Me either, I think I spend half my life doing dishes.

This. Seriously, I think people who say they don't need a dishwasher are mad. With just 2 of us in the apartment we still go through mounds of dishes every day.

We're on our second one now.

The first one broke, not at the motor, but at the hinge. The metal bar that serves as the hinge fell out, somehow.

So we got a second one.

While I use it quite a bit, I do find that it is not as good as I thought it'd be. The head part where the motor is wobbles left and right at the hinge when you use it to make bread dough or other thick doughs. I am thinking that's why that hinge fell out. When this one breaks, I'll be shopping for a different brand of stand mixer, for sure.

The pro that I have does not have a flip top - instead it has a lever action that raises and drops the bowl. Purchasing a model like that will extend the life of your Kitchen because from base to top, it's solid. No hinge, no wobbling.

Regarding burning out the motor - read the directions when you get it. I've had mine for three years now with no problems and I use it to make pizza dough about once a week. When I was endlessly unemployed I made whole wheat bread more often than that. You just don't ever put more than 5-6 cups of flour in it at a time.

Also, holy gods those chocolate chip cookies are incredible.

I've got my mom's Bosch (she gave it to me for my wedding, as it got heavy use after her wedding until about 10 years later, when she embraced her hatred of cooking). The thing is older than I am and still works like a charm.

AE! :love:

The pro that I have does not have a flip top - instead it has a lever action that raises and drops the bowl. Purchasing a model like that will extend the life of your Kitchen because from base to top, it's solid. No hinge, no wobbling.

Regarding burning out the motor - read the directions when you get it. I've had mine for three years now with no problems and I use it to make pizza dough about once a week. When I was endlessly unemployed I made whole wheat bread more often than that. You just don't ever put more than 5-6 cups of flour in it at a time.

I'm sure I've put more than 6 cups of flour into mine at once, but it's one of the bigger models like yours, Raidne. If you keep the speed setting low, it's fine.

Where's the cookie recipe, MC? I feel a taste test is in order. :)

AE! :love:

I'm sure I've put more than 6 cups of flour into mine at once, but it's one of the bigger models like yours, Raidne. If you keep the speed setting low, it's fine.

Yeah, i've definitely made some gingerbread dough with 10-11 cups of flour. It starts chugging a bit as the dough comes together, but my mom's machine is 30+ years old and built like a tank.

We're on our second one now.

The first one broke, not at the motor, but at the hinge. The metal bar that serves as the hinge fell out, somehow.

So we got a second one.

While I use it quite a bit, I do find that it is not as good as I thought it'd be. The head part where the motor is wobbles left and right at the hinge when you use it to make bread dough or other thick doughs. I am thinking that's why that hinge fell out. When this one breaks, I'll be shopping for a different brand of stand mixer, for sure.

as raids says the pro style is a much nicer mixer. take a look at the viking 7 quart. it is pretty badass.

Lost in all the general comments about the stand mixer is that the cookies MC mentioned that he made are fucking delicious.

mack and raids, so glad you liked them! i kind of have a lot of pride riding on those cookies!

cannot share it i am afraid. it is a recipe i developed over many months of making cookies each and every tuesday until i created a cookie that fit my desires of flavor and texture perfectly.

cannot share it i am afraid. it is a recipe i developed over many months of making cookies each and every tuesday until i created a cookie that fit my desires of flavor and texture perfectly.

Hmph. Can you at least tell me whether it calls for baking soda and/or powder? Perhaps when you and Ms Paravel are next north of 49, I should kidnap you for cookie making. ;)

If you read the instructions, it really does specifically say not to do that. Obviously, it's probably not going to up and quit right there, but it puts more strain on the motor than is recommended by the manufacturer. Also, I have the 5 quart, yours may be larger.

Also, when you get that much dough going in there, it doesn't knead correctly, but just keeps climbing the dough hook.

If you read the instructions, it really does specifically say not to do that. Obviously, it's probably not going to up and quit right there, but it puts more strain on the motor than is recommended by the manufacturer. Also, I have the 5 quart, yours may be larger.

Also, when you get that much dough going in there, it doesn't knead correctly, but just keeps climbing the dough hook.

I don't actually know how big mine is, but might check later. The cookbook that came with it has a recipe that makes three loaves of bread at once, so there must be a bit of oomph in the motor.

Yup; the second I have more than 5 linear feet of counter space (not all of it usable, as some of it is deeply recessed and holds a microwave), I'm getting more awesome appliances, too.

*Still* haven't found the perfect blender, to replace the old KitchenAid blender. :(

this is the right and true blender that will cross all others. BEHOLD!! this device is the crown standard of the best professional kitchens. it makes the smoothest soups and purees, emulsifies, grinds spices, etc. yes, it is expensive. but it would last a lifetime. one day i will have this in my home kitchen.

This thread occurs at a time when I am considering investing in a stand mixer. Between that and my trusty food processor, I should be able to make just about anything dessert-like, which is where my cooking skills seem to lie. One of the main problems in my kitchen is a poor overall location of power points to run all these devices, but I'm sure that is not an insurmountable problem. Soon I will be whipping up massive batches of shortbread and cakes a la Barefoot Contessa.

Does anyone use a blender any more? When I was stashing away the food processor at the weekend, I spotted the old blender crouching in the back of the cupboard, looking so bereaved and so bereft.

Actually, we've discussed replacing our dishwasher (which we never use) with a second oven. My Step-mother has a convection oven/microwave. Such a device would free up counter space very nicely.

Really, first the mixer and now the dishwasher? Get a move and start making your life easy! They're there to be used. :devil:

Min - just store a bottle of water in the fridge and pour some into the mix instead of the tepid waters from the tap. It's already liquidated!

Does anyone use a blender any more? When I was stashing away the food processor at the weekend, I spotted the old blender crouching in the back of the cupboard, looking so bereaved and so bereft.

Yes! It makes ever so yummy Margaritas, brandy alexanders and the like. Plus, there's nothing better, IMHO, for pureeing bisques. And if you want to make a smoothie, it's pretty great too.

I've tried using the food processor for some of the above, and besides the processor's being too damn big, I got better results from the blender.

Archived