The KitchenAid Stand Mixer! (now help us with a new coffee maker)

MercenaryChef

I blush :blush: to admit it, but I've been using the same old electric mixer for more years than most of you are old. No stand, no attachments. In short, a travesty of mixology.

Chef's convinced me. I think I'll ask for a KitchenAid stand mixer for our anniversary that's coming up soon.

Keep the old one just in case, because some of those olders models were built to last.

our dishwasher (which we never use)

prefer to hand wash our dishes

dishwasher that I never use

My dishwasher I gave up on it.

What sort of a sociopaths' convention have I wandered into here?

.... I've never even owned a dishwasher before.

Nor I, tbh, but I'm referring to the having-and-not-using; I'd trade having television for having a dishwasher (though it'd be a close thing).

Nor I, tbh, but I'm referring to the having-and-not-using; I'd trade having television for having a dishwasher (though it'd be a close thing).

It makes sense to me for a good reason. Since I live alone, the quantity of dishes that I create are negligible. The power requirements of the device are also an issue, making it an expensive addition to the hydro bill. This means that it is essentially only economical to run when it is full. Now, because I don't create very many dishes on a daily basis it would probably take me more than a week to actually fill the thing up. Actually, I doubt that I even have enough cutlery and dishes to fill it up.

Just not worth it at all. I might as well just wash the dishes by hand, which takes all of ten minutes.

so, i was sitting here tasting the fruits of my labors, a sweet and rich chocolate chip cookie topped with sea salt and i began to furiously pat myself on the back for developing such a wonderful recipe that is the pinnacle of chocolate chip cookie-ness. and then i began to feel a pang of guilt. i could not have done this without her.

Wimp. When I make chocolate chip cookies, I use nothing but a bowl, a whisk, and a wooden spoon.

(In all seriousness, though, mixers are awesome.)

I'm a little gunshy of using my dishwasher honestly - it has been known to be...faulty...

When I first moved into my apartment, it wouldn't drain after runing a cycle.

Called maintenance, had them come look at it.

Them: "It's fixed."

Me: ".....really? then why is my kitchen flooded? oh, it must be because you 'fixed it', turned it on and then left before you saw the water pouring out the bottom." :tantrum:

Of course the problem turned out to be exactly what I suspected (and told them) it would be. When they installed the dishwasher (which they hard-wired into the wall), they forgot to remove the disposal plug into the drain pipe.

But of course...I was just a stupid college kid, wtf did I know. :rolleyes:

I have to disagree with Min on this and say how much I love my panini press.. It has a floating hinge which means you can be as greedy as you like and put HUGE things in there, like enormous crusty rolls, so long as you have the patience to wait for gravity to press it down to a manageable size. I will never stop loving it. <3

I don't actually own any kind of food processor though. But I probably need to do something about that.

I was over at my moms house for her birthday a few weeks back and we were making cookies with her old hand held mixer which started to smoke a rather dark smoke when we were trying to mix some very thick cookie mix... my brothers and I all agreed that we need to get one of these for her before her old hand held bursts into flames or just melts.

I have heard that Kitchenaid stand mixers have gone down in quality in the last few years. My mom bought a new one about 4 years ago and it's already burnt out.(My grandmother is still using hers that was a wedding present in the late 60's) The reviews on Amazon suggest that she might not be alone in this short. Which begs the question if you are in the market for a stand mixer is Kitchenaid still the best one to buy?

pup,

i have actually heard the same thing. something in the workmanship, parts, etc has caused the newer models to not have the longevity of the older ones. i have burned out the pro model at work a couple times but that is with just brutal use. when something is used for a couple hours a day everyday for months on end it is likely to find itself pushed to the limits.

my own i have had for ten years and is still in fantastic shape. and that is with grinding meat, mixing dough, rolling pasta, etc.

a very very good alternate to the kitchenaid is viking. i used the viking when i cooked at the james beard house in new york. it was a lovely machine. i liked it a lot. and as the kitchenaid it has its own retinue of accessories.

The thing is, that's going to be true of essentially any appliance that you purchase these days. Most companies do not build things to last anymore! Despite that, I still think that the KitchenAid is in the top of it's class. It must get so many good reviews for a reason.

I'm impressed that there are so many things I didn't know that I needed. Thank you, board!

Right now I use one of these things whenever I'm to whip up some cream or eggwhite or whatever (not that it happens often). A stand mixer has now entered my wanted list, but it'll probably have to wait until I get a bigger place.

The thing is, that's going to be true of essentially any appliance that you purchase these days. Most companies do not build things to last anymore! Despite that, I still think that the KitchenAid is in the top of it's class. It must get so many good reviews for a reason.

i agree. to not sound like an old man, they don't make things like they used to.

you need one, cat. you deserve it.

It makes sense to me for a good reason. Since I live alone, the quantity of dishes that I create are negligible. The power requirements of the device are also an issue, making it an expensive addition to the hydro bill. This means that it is essentially only economical to run when it is full. Now, because I don't create very many dishes on a daily basis it would probably take me more than a week to actually fill the thing up. Actually, I doubt that I even have enough cutlery and dishes to fill it up.

Just not worth it at all. I might as well just wash the dishes by hand, which takes all of ten minutes.

Yeah, that's legitimate; I have severe OCD about dishes, to the point where I'd prefer a dishwasher even by myself; even my own dishes are a huge, huge time-sink for me because I tend to overwash them thoroughly.

I have heard that Kitchenaid stand mixers have gone down in quality in the last few years. My mom bought a new one about 4 years ago and it's already burnt out.(My grandmother is still using hers that was a wedding present in the late 60's) The reviews on Amazon suggest that she might not be alone in this short. Which begs the question if you are in the market for a stand mixer is Kitchenaid still the best one to buy?

Same thing with my mum's, Seventh. :( I don't know what changed in the manufacturing process, but it wasn't for the better.

Same thing with my mum's, Seventh. :( I don't know what changed in the manufacturing process, but it wasn't for the better.

/aside

I have an old Kenmore sewing machine - probably built in the '60s-'70s. When I took it in for a thorough cleaning, the repairman told me to hold onto it, that the newer ones are shit. (!!)

.... I've never even owned a dishwasher before.

Me either, I think I spend half my life doing dishes.

Our kitchen is tiny and was apparently built before people thought that storage space was a good idea so putting in a dishwasher would eliminate one of my three useable cupboards.

Thats actually the same reason I don't have a Kitchenaid - nowhere to put it. When I get my new house with a decent kitchen I'm buying both

Archived