Making Game of Thrones: Pronuncation Guide

Westeros

I always thought it was 'Variss' (rhymes with Paris), so that just goes to show.

Harrenhal is weird. How do you get 'HAIR-en-hall' from that? 'Harren' (like 'barren') 'hall' is pretty straightforward.

The one that bugs me is "Uh-SHY" for Asshai.

How is there not another 's' sound in there? It should be either "Us-SHY" or "Ush-SHY"

I'm trying to think if I've heard GRRM pronounce Tommen before. Most of my 'in my head' pronunciations come from hearing him doing readings a half dozen times in person and in interviews online. But in my head, the lad is "Toe-MEN" not "Tah-Men".

To my American ear, 'barren' is pronounced 'BAIR-en'. Thus I don't get the distinction you are making.

The one I can't wrap my head around is: Lys= LICE

Really? Like the BUG?

I'm also a bit baffled by the differing first syllable for Tyrion and Tywin. I always assumed that one was based on the other and that both began with the TIE sound. But it doesn't actually bother me and I think I'll get used to it in my head quickly.

ETA: I am now cracking myself up imagining poisoners harvesting the secretions of millions of lice to kill Jon Arryn.

My only surprise is that Varys, Daenerys and Viserys have a different pronunciation than Aerys:

VAIR-iss

Duh-NAIR-iss

Vi-SAIR-iss

vs.

AIR-eez

It might have made more sense to me if Varys' name was pronounced somewhat differently, perhaps that's the difference between the original High Valyrian vs. the bastardized versions that exist in the Free Cities now, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

My only surprise is that Varys, Daenerys and Viserys have a different pronunciation than Aerys:

VAIR-iss

Duh-NAIR-iss

Vi-SAIR-iss

vs.

AIR-eez

It might have made more sense to me if Varys' name was pronounced somewhat differently, perhaps that's the difference between the original High Valyrian vs. the bastardized versions that exist in the Free Cities now, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I always went with:

VAIR-eez

Vi-SAIR-eez

AIR-eez

Dye-NAIR-eez

RYE-gar

Interesting that Gregor is gre-gore and not greg-or like I always thought.

I would pronounce both things all the same (the e from gore is silent, isn't it?)

I hate when "pronunciation guides" are limited to just break down the words in smaller ones. You can't exactly know how a word is pronunced this way. There are phonetic alphabets for a reason! :tantrum:

Is that an accent thing? 'Barren' is pronounced here 'BA-REN'. Or to rhyme with the name 'Karen'.

Karen would be pronounced KAIR-en here as well.

Phonetic alphabets would be very helpful for the 1% of HBO viewers who know them and useless to the rest.

Most of it is either the same as I pronounce it, or unsurprisingly different.

Except for "Ser" = "SAIR". Huh? I always thought it was just the same as "Sir", just spelled differently. That's going to be jarring when I hear it.

I've heard 'barren' pronounce both ways in America. Personally, I pronounce it 'BA-rin' rather than 'BAIR-in'. Mostly I've heard the latter pronunciation in places like the Midwest, the South, or California. On the East Coast, most people pronounce it like the former.

It looks like the majority are going to be pronounced how they have been in my head reading the books.

I might have expected a few more of the -AR- names to carry the long ARE sound more than the softer AIR. HAIR-en-hall having a double R seems more like HARR-en-hall, for example. Perhaps the long ARE is more british and AIR is more American?

Gre-GOR Cli-GAIN sounds percussive and war-like, so that's pretty fitting, I thought.

Archived