TitanCon Belfast - Sat 24 Sept 2011

Booked flights and hotel today. :D :commie:

Although I don't have access to the figures but I would guess that at least half the people signed up for this so far are already members of this board, and have been for years. So yeah most of us know each other to some extent. However we are an inclusive not exclusive group and everyone was new once. Also as this is a small convention it should be more relaxed. Oh and if your really worried then you have until September to make friends in general Chatter or TTTNE in forum games. If anyone gives you a hard time, then just tell them your Protected by Pebble so they better behave themselve. (I do however recommend that you have read feast before you spend much time there, its easy to get accidently spoiled).

Before and during the Convention a lot of people swap mobile numbers, this helps with arranging meet ups and food ect. If you do share with a non Brit – check its ok to phone their mobile before you do (as this can add up costs for both of you quickly) most people just text. I'll be more than happy to give you my number nearer the time.

If you're worried about being on your own, or find yourself alone at any time introduce yourself to one of the more recognised BWBers. They will be more than happy to introduce you to others. Or you can find me, apparently I am one of the most recognisable people around. I don't even have to speak and people know who I am. (I'm not sure if that's a good thing) The other thing I can suggest is that you volunteer to help out during the con. It's a great way of meeting people.

As for myself I will be around from Friday PM (although I won't be up to much as I'll have just finished a night shift that morning) till Monday evening. I'll probably be on the registration desk at some point. If your still feeling shy on the Sunday then you can sit next to me on the coach trip.

Really there is no excuse not to join us, if you have the ability to say, "Erm, Excuse me, Are you from the board?" them be magic words.

:love:

Thank you very much hun! I did think about volunteering too :-)

I think I will go and book my ticket now - then I can use the next couple of months to get to know people and build up my confidence

Thank you ever so much for your replies

Lis x

What Pebble says is oh so true! I've been to a con for the first time last October and met a lot of BwB'ers there. They were all really nice. And I'm not the most outgoing person myself. :blushing:

There's really no need to be shy.

Looking forward to meeting you (and all the others) there. :)

I swap nothing, barely knew the board members first time out (knew them by reputation only) and so far I've had a good Moot and several MiniMoots.

ASoIaF fans are pretty forgiving, comes with the territory when you have people at varying stages of progress with the novels :D

EDIT - I apologise to everyone in advance, I'm selfishly signing up for the Coach Tour. Sorry.

I've only been to a Moot and a couple of mini-moots, so I'm a convention novice myself and as such my experience may not be much to go by, but from the things I have been too I can say that once you attend, you'll quickly realise you are in the company of people who by-and-large think along the same lines, ultimately get-what-you-get and foremost hold ASoIaF dear to them.

So think of it not as a room of individuals or disparate already-formed groups, but as a large, single collective where everyone is on the same level and infinitely approachable.

So take the jump and attend (and maybe even get involved), there really is no good reason not too!

<OFF TOPIC>

But damn Qt, I get jealous of that avatar pic every time I see it - I hope it was uncomfortable! :)

EDIT - I apologise to everyone in advance, I'm selfishly signing up for the Coach Tour. Sorry.

haha what as, a guide?

I said 'if' as I am not the most outgoing of people so wasn't sure if going on my own would be a good idea, I did a convention on my own last year but struggled to find people to talk to as they were all already in groups it's kind of made me hesitant to do it again. Though I have totally fallen in love with Game of Thrones and as you say I don't want to miss something very special.

Good idea re: timings. I am hoping to arrive early-ish Friday morning and leave afternoon time on Monday (it does mean time off work but it'd be a crime not to go on the coach trip!) I guess a little more about me might help too, I'm 28 and work for the NHS in Northampton (hour north of London).

One possible way to get to know some of the BWB people before going to the convention would be to come along to one of the meets we have in London. We had a meet a couple of weeks ago which had about 20 people there, and it should be easier to get to know people at a smaller meet than it might be at a Con. There isn't another meet scheduled at the moment, but we tend to have one every couple of months on average so I'd guess there will be at least one more before TitanCon.

One possible way to get to know some of the BWB people before going to the convention would be to come along to one of the meets we have in London. We had a meet a couple of weeks ago which had about 20 people there, and it should be easier to get to know people at a smaller meet than it might be at a Con. There isn't another meet scheduled at the moment, but we tend to have one every couple of months on average so I'd guess there will be at least one more before TitanCon.

Ooo that would be cool! Will keep my eye out for the next one :-)

Thank you to all - am reassured that my shyness won't be crippling by all the kind messages

No need to apologise I fully expected you to join us on the coach tour, I was practically saving you a seat.

haha what as, a guide?

Genuine LOL moment

<OFF TOPIC>

But damn Qt, I get jealous of that avatar pic every time I see it - I hope it was uncomfortable! :)

There, I fixed it. Iron Throne is comfy, Weirwood is not.

I really SHOULD be a guide, shouldn't I? Maybe I'll just stand in my old spot, haha.

There, I fixed it. Iron Throne is comfy, Weirwood is not.

I really SHOULD be a guide, shouldn't I? Maybe I'll just stand in my old spot, haha.

Go on then Qt, I'll meet your Stark Guard on another throne and raise you a little bit of Umber!

Mind you it looks wholly inadequate in comparison to you perched upon a variety of royal seats, but its as good as I got on the one day I was in a proper House.

@ LordMntGoat... any word on the possibility and pricing of partial attendance at the feast and/or other Castleward site events on the Sunday of the "Coach Trip" ?

Silly question, is there timetable or start/finish times for Saturday? I'm trying to sort flights out and they're not exactly regular... if I come Friday it means taking a day off if I come Saturday I land about midday and don't want to miss out on anything.

We are still working on the programme but I can tell you that the doors open at 9am Saturday, first panels start at 10am. The panels end at 6pm however this will be followed by a closing ceremony and possibly something else and then there will be a short break before our party starts at 8pm which runs on till midnight.

That's the plan anyway, can't promise it won't change which is why we have not made an official announcement about any of this yet.

Just realised you might have meant Friday - in which case the Culture Night events don't get started till the evening. The walking tours and pub crawl start around 5 pm and the author readings at McHughs start at 7.30 pm.

Hope that covers all your questions :)

WOW! Just sold a membership to someone from The Philippines who is flying over to Belfast specifically for TitanCon and the Game of Thrones Coach Tour. Now that is what I call dedication!

So what's everyone else's excuse then? ;)

WOW! Just sold a membership to someone from The Philippines who is flying over to Belfast specifically for TitanCon and the Game of Thrones Coach Tour. Now that is what I call dedication!

:thumbsup:

Wow! That is impressive!

I got told off at London Film and Comic Con :D

I was chatting with Natalia Tena and mentioned Titancon, said it'd be awesome if she was there too since it's filming time. The booth woman with her yelled at me for mentioning other events and that I wasn't allowed to advertise my event to their guests!

I explained I was an attendee not an organiser and Natalia said she was happy I mentioned as she hadn't heard about it and is interested, woman still wasn't happy.

Ah well, got my first GoT Cast photo and auto on my canvas at least!

Good work Drew, you're a hero for the cause Ser :cheers:

There are a lot of cast members we have not been able to contact yet and we do expect to hear from many more over the next few weeks as everyone descends on Belfast to begin the season two shoot. We have an open invite to all cast members and we hope to have a few more names to announce before the end of this month.

Hey,

I have been to both the moots with my brother at McHughs and Robinson's bar, having a great time at both. This time though, I would be bringing 3-4 friends whom I have introduced to the TV series and love it. They are primarily interested in meeting cast and crew and I am wondering whether the Friday event is going to be equivalent to both the previous moots?

Having said that, I myself would be willing to participate in both the TitanCon events and the coach tour on the Sunday. Being based in Belfast now, allows me such luxuries. ;)

Hi Matt

No the Friday evening event is something new and different. It is part of Culture Night Belfast which is a huge FREE event taking place across the Cathedral District of the city and features dozens of events and hundreds of performers. There is theatre, dance, music, art, poetry and much more. Just a huge amount of things going on and there will be thousands of people flooding the area to celebrate culture - or to put it another way "enjoying the craic" ;)

Our part of this great event takes place at McHugh's (where we held the first Moot) and features book readings by our author guests, Ian McDonald, Peadar O'Guillen and T.A. Moore. This is a public event so anyone can get in, not just TitanCon members. Its not a Game of Thrones event. But with that said we will be making all our guests aware of it so some of them may come down to check it out but I would not guarantee any of them being there.

The part of TitanCon which is the equivalent of the Moot is the party which takes place at the Europa Exhibition Hall from 8 pm till midnight on Saturday 24 September. This event is only open to TitanCon members. I hope you can all come down and join us for that :)

Archived