MIllitary SF recommendation

Aedan

I thoroughly enjoyed The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell in a guilty, military space operatic sort of way. My wife is reading the series now and she is digging it too...somewhat to my surprise. :P

I also enjoyed the first 4 books of the Warhammer 40K series, The Horus Heresy, and need to pick up the rest.

• 2 months later...

Any list Miles is on, and is not Number 1 is shit. It is known.

I haven't even read those(yet) and I can go with that. Also, any list with Elizabeth Moon and Neal Asher....blech.

Also, insert obligatory Dragonlance joke.

Also also, Tanya Huff? Double blech.

Based on what I've read, Asher is no more military SF than Morgan is, and since Asher is nowhere near as good as Morgan, it's odd to have him on the list but not Morgan. Gibson also isn't military SF, certainly nowhere near the level that say Hamilton is (and, as I said upthread, Hamilton has military action in his SF but that's not quite the same thing), so again it's odd to have one and not the other.

The biggest and most notable absence is Abnett though. A much better writer than Zahn or Weber (who aren't unenjoyable), frankly. If the list compiler's excuse is he hasn't read Abnett, Hamilton or Morgan, I'd question whether it was a good idea to compile the list in the first place. It'd be like me trying to put together a Top Ten Steampunk list, I'm not well-enough read in the field to come to a conclusion.

The dragon never sleeps, glen cook, - he does mainly military fantasy, though.

YES!! The Dragon Never Sleeps is awesome. Passage at Arms is just as good. Both are fucking great, and underappreciated. Hell, the Starfishers trilogy is solid too.

YES!! The Dragon Never Sleeps is awesome. Passage at Arms is just as good. Both are fucking great, and underappreciated. Hell, the Starfishers trilogy is solid too.

I totally forgot Passage at Arms! I considered Shadowline, but it is soooo convoluted with the Storm/Dee thing, I think most people would be like 'shoot Dee and things would be better and none of this crap would happen,'.

Agree on the starfisher trilogy as a whole.

Does David Drake - Ranks of Bronze count as military SF?

If anyone enjoys Cook's Military SF, his military fantasy is arguably better and there is a lot more of it.

A much better writer than Zahn or Weber (who aren't unenjoyable), frankly.

Zahn is a very inconsistent writer, but I have enjoyed several of his books. I would not put him high on a list, as there is much better, but I think he has a place of any top 25 of the genre.

I totally forgot Passage at Arms! I considered Shadowline, but it is soooo convoluted with the Storm/Dee thing, I think most people would be like 'shoot Dee and things would be better and none of this crap would happen,'.

Agree on the starfisher trilogy as a whole.

Does David Drake - Ranks of Bronze count as military SF?

If anyone enjoys Cook's Military SF, his military fantasy is arguably better and there is a lot more of it.

Holy shit! Glen Cook writes Military Fantasy?

Holy shit! Glen Cook writes Military Fantasy?

Through exhaustive internet searching, I have found he wrote an obscure series called "The Black Company."

Seriously though, I don't know why I have avoided his Scifi, I need to remedy that.

Archived