[NO SPOILERS] The First 15 Minutes

Ran

I liked the use of the "wighted" girl - appropriately creepy. I also liked that Ned seemed a little shaken, or maybe just emotional, as he was passing the sentence. He knows he has to do it, and he will, but that doesn't mean he likes it.

Everyone was really good, but Bran & Arya were fantastic.

I assumed he was shaken because of Will's reference to a White Walker...unless I'm thinking of another moment...

[mod] This is a NO SPOILERS thread. That means no spoilers from the books, including things that the producers cut or changed. Keep that stuff limited to the BOOK SPOILERS thread only, please.

It only takes one careless digression to spoil entire swaths of the plot for someone else, which is what the existence of these no spoiler threads is trying to prevent. Better to just get into the practice now of discussing only what is in the show, than after you've alienated a bunch of people because of carelessness. Thank you for your cooperation. [/mod]

I assumed he was shaken because of Will's reference to a White Walker...unless I'm thinking of another moment...

No, it's the same moment, but ... if someone came up to you talking about how, I don't know, they'd just seen a T. Rex, would you be shaken? Okay, maybe for being near someone who (to your mind) has lost their wits, but would you be afraid of the T. Rex itself? As Ned says, nobody has seen these things for thousands of years. If they haven't quite passed into the realm of myth, based on history, they seem to be at least pretty much assumed to be gone/no trouble these days.

Or at least that's why I thought the way I did. Obviously it's possible to interpret that differently!

Overall I really enjoyed this peek and I'm really appreciative that HBO has given us so much to whet our appetites (of course it works out for them too theoretically). My favorite part was the introduction to the Stark family, everyone had a lot of charisma in one way or another, although Maisie as Arya just stole the show. Isaac was simply adorable as Bran. I also liked how you could see Rickon and Robb interacting in the background after the archery practice dispersed, and how proud and happy their parents were. The look Catelyn gave Jon was also chilling and intriguing - there's a story there, you can tell.

The execution scene was good, and the Wall took my breath away. I did get antsy sitting through the prologue material, although I liked the opening shot a whole lot. That was probably because I was so eager to get a look at the Starks and I knew fifteen minutes was not going to get us very far.

The pacing was okay for the opening quarter, all things considered, but I hope the story doesn't get too overwhelming by the end of the episode. So much is going to happen.

I do not like too much cut off the heads, they look like cut paper and super clean ... I do not know, I would have liked to see some hanging nerve, or who saw a little spine or something like that to make it a little more realistic, they seem to cut foils.

Also I miss the snow when Bran seen the blood, but that does not matter.

Responses on Twitter seem strong even from people who have not read the books. The fact is that what may seem slow to us is probably pretty fast to those who have not read the novels. This is their first introduction, it can't just be sped through. That said, the first episode ends up covering about 9 chapters. It moves at a very fast pace after initially establishing the white walkers and the Starks.

I do not like too much cut off the heads, they look like cut paper and super clean ... I do not know, I would have liked to see some hanging nerve, or who saw a little spine or something like that to make it a little more realistic, they seem to cut foils.

Also I miss the snow when Bran seen the blood, but that does not matter.

I don't think this is a spoiler, but I'll tag it just to be on the safe side...

The one is from a magic sword and the other is from a Valyrian steel sword, I think I can forgive them for appearing sharper than normal

I don't think this is a spoiler, but I'll tag it just to be on the safe side...

The one is from a magic sword and the other is from a Valyrian steel sword, I think I can forgive them for appearing sharper than normal

It's true! have all the reason in the world. That detail I had forgotten.

The fact is that what may seem slow to us is probably pretty fast to those who have not read the novels. This is their first introduction, it can't just be sped through.
I don't really get the "seemed slow" comment; I feel like I blinked and it was over. VERY fast pacing and I expect that to continue because as you say there is a ton of material to cover.

Is it me or the silhouette of the White Walker was vaguely reminiscent of Predator? :D

Anyway - I think it was actually quite fast paced, it didn't feel like 15 minutes (and videos on HBO.com always lag for me so it actually took longer ;)). And I liked Sean Bean's delivery during the execution, less solemn than in the previous trailers and more understated - he's doing his duty but he is still affected by it. It felt "very Ned" to me.

Archived