Community - Season 2, thread 2 [SPOILERS]

Brude

Unlikely thread crossover ahoy!

From Cricinfo.com's report of the 4th day of the England v India test match at Trent Bridge:

Like their bowlers and fielders during England's second innings, India's batsmen showed no fight after they began the improbable task of surviving more than five sessions. Rather, England didn't let them fight. Andrew Strauss's team was streets ahead of India in terms of strength, fitness and preparation and that widened the gulf in form between the sides.

Looks like Pierce has done it!

ST

Unlikely thread crossover ahoy!

From Cricinfo.com's report of the 4th day of the England v India test match at Trent Bridge:

Looks like Pierce has done it!

Yeah, after they put together that initial episode with the phrase "Streets Ahead", Harmon and the writing staff learned it's actually a fairly common phrase on the other side of the pond.

For anyone who hasn't been paying attention the Community news, there's some awesome stuff planned. Aside from Omar (from The Wire) joining the school as a Biology teacher fresh out of jail, John Goodman (Roseanne, Treme, Damages) will be joining the show for at least 6 episodes. He'll be playing the Vice Dean and (as I understand it) head of the Air Conditioning Repair branch of Greendale College, which is actually a nationally renowned institute, Greendale's only notable program; The ACR branch actually looks down upon the rest of the school.

I don't know if the writers came up with the idea from Pierce's Greendale song, or if that was a hint of things to come in later seasons, but it sounds pretty hilarious.

Dan Harmon is also hoping to expand on the family backgrounds of the study group this year. From random comments and hints, it sounds like Harmon's master goal will/would have been to cast Bill Murray as Jeff's dad. I don't know that it'll happen, but I can't possibly imagine a better person for the role.

Dan Harmon is also hoping to expand on the family backgrounds of the study group this year. From random comments and hints, it sounds like Harmon's master goal will/would have been to cast Bill Murray as Jeff's dad. I don't know that it'll happen, but I can't possibly imagine a better person for the role.

Oh my god, that would be awesome.

For anyone who hasn't been paying attention the Community news, there's some awesome stuff planned. Aside from Omar (from The Wire) joining the school as a Biology teacher fresh out of jail, John Goodman (Roseanne, Treme, Damages) will be joining the show for at least 6 episodes. He'll be playing the Vice Dean and (as I understand it) head of the Air Conditioning Repair branch of Greendale College, which is actually a nationally renowned institute, Greendale's only notable program; The ACR branch actually looks down upon the rest of the school.

This is like some fantasy casting for the show. Omar in a comedy role will be awesome and they're bound to play on the wire connection - maybe a weird drug analogy episode? Hopefully he's just a regular guest star as I still want him to be in Boardwalk empire!

Oh my god, that would be awesome.

If Bill Murray actually did guest on Community, you KNOW they'd have to reference/parody the SNL backstage fight between Chase and Murray. Unfortunately, Murray is really, really difficult to get a hold of, and it's almost impossible to guess what role he decides to take up, or when. Still, fingers crossed.

• 4 weeks later...

Just been watching season one again on dvd. There arent many comedies i could watch again and still laugh throughout. troy holds up far better from the start second time around. glover is a v talented comic actor. im also loving all the dvd extras. the end of season report where dan interviews the cast trying to work out how they lost half the inotial audience is great. i also enjoyed the spoof where dan complains of studio interference where he claims essential fart jokes were cut

• 4 weeks later...

Thoughts on the season 3 premiere?

It fell a little flat for me. I mean, there didn't seem to be anything new. Aw, Pierce is a jerk that no one ought to put up with except for rare flashes of humanity that in no way compensate. Jeff needs the group more than he wants to admit. Cheng is crazy.

I wasn't blown away. Hope the season picks up more steam as it goes.

Thoughts on the season 3 premiere?

It fell a little flat for me. I mean, there didn't seem to be anything new. Aw, Pierce is a jerk that no one ought to put up with except for rare flashes of humanity that in no way compensate. Jeff needs the group more than he wants to admit. Cheng is crazy.

I wasn't blown away. Hope the season picks up more steam as it goes.

there were some good bits though.

abed's "this is the best show ive ever seen"

the whole magic table part. especially jeffs last touch as he walked away and the way it was edited.

Honestly the premier and late season episode that don't involve paintball tend to fall a little flat for me as well.

The entire "Will Pierce be accepted by the group" thing really feels played out. And it's a sitcom so the reset button is going to be hit and everything will go back to normal. We just had to wait an entire summer to find that out.

It's a lonely and Cheng fill world away from the table.

And Goodman was fantastic. I was in tears.

Honestly the premier and late season episode that don't involve paintball tend to fall a little flat for me as well.

The entire "Will Pierce be accepted by the group" thing really feels played out. And it's a sitcom so the reset button is going to be hit and everything will go back to normal. We just had to wait an entire summer to find that out.

No it wasn't the best episode of Community. But what I love about this show is that it does all this plot stuff and still makes it funny, as opposed to Parks and Rec, which abandons the comedy to advance the plot in a premier that I didn't enjoy at all.

Troy's face when they said the table was magically keeping their books from falling down.

The dean.

Abed's freak-outs.

The dean.

The extreme sexual innuendo between the dean and the vice-dean when they meet for the first time.

Motherfucking Omar! "I can't be bought man, you feel me?"

All the details were awesome, and I think there's a lot of potential for this season and I can't wait to see the wacky hijinks they get up to.

I thought this was a pretty spectacular opening ep.

I'd seen a preview with the song-intro, but was worried they were going overboard. Dan Harmon was quoted as wanting to be more accessible this season, and I thought the opening sequence was simply a promise to the viewers. Instead, it was Jeff's daydream about a normal life with the group without Pierce around. The way they messed with that promise was amazing. Better still, the follow up from Jim Rasch basically saying "yeah, this season will be the same, but with less money".

Cougarton Abbey? Fucking awesome. Inspector Spacetime was a cool nod to Doctor Who, though Abed's unfamiliarity with it was a little hard to believe. "This is the best show I've ever seen in my entire life." definitely made up for it.

Throw in the homage to 2001 (and the table as the monolith? hilarious) and this episode was a total keeper.

I kinda liked how the whole Pierce thing wasn't really dealt with. I'm sure there'll be some additional bits about it in the forthcoming episodes. I also like the deconstruction of Abed. He's been way too cool the last 2 seasons, it's past time they start showing the difficulties of being him, and being friends with him.

No it wasn't the best episode of Community. But what I love about this show is that it does all this plot stuff and still makes it funny, as opposed to Parks and Rec, which abandons the comedy to advance the plot in a premier that I didn't enjoy at all.

It was definitely good. I think my problem is I prepared for this by watching Fistful of Paintballs...

Troy's face when they said the table was magically keeping their books from falling down.

The dean.

Abed's freak-outs.

The dean.

The extreme sexual innuendo between the dean and the vice-dean when they meet for the first time.

Motherfucking Omar! "I can't be bought man, you feel me?"

All the details were awesome, and I think there's a lot of potential for this season and I can't wait to see the wacky hijinks they get up to.

What about the looks on everyone else's faces when Troy and Abed announced they were moving in together. As if they were expecting something more... :P.

The season premiere didn't wow me, but then again I still have in mind last season's awesome two-parts finale, which is hard to top. However, what worries me is that in an interview, it's mentioned that the show is toning down considerably its pop culture parody aspect, when IMO it's the episodes based on that that have been its funniest and most memorable ones:

http://tv.ign.com/articles/119/1195581p1.html

I thought it was a bit underwhelming. It didn't feel as if all the characters had a real chance to shine. I guess this was because they had to set up John Goodman's character as well as Omar the biology teacher. But i wasn't feeling the main story. I was really disappointed with the abed pieces. I don't really get why they couldn't outright mention Dr Who as they do so with every other show. It just seemed weak they were doing a work around.

Chang getting to be a security guard could be very entertaining though, He's always best when abusing his authority.

Archived