Football/Soccer XVIII: A Game Of Throw-Ins

mormont

IDK, the last 5 min or so Monterrey has been getting a bit more possession. They haven't threatened at all, but they're settling down a bit.

Hmmm...not the first time I've said something good about a team only to see them lose whatever edge they had. :leaving:

Monterrey had spent so long camped in front of RSL's goal, if they had gotten out of the half without scoring it would have been a miracle. Bright start, but now we are in serious trouble. Beckerman's absense is very apparent in their inability to maintain any type of possession in the midfield.

Ugh.

Terrible timing too.

The end of the first half and the beginning of the second always seem to yield goals. RSL has been slowly crumbling for the entire half. They controlled the first ten minutes or so and were dominated for the last 30. Kreis said that he would attack this game. It's time to start. Too many attacks petered out bc of too few men forward.

There were a few times in those last minutes that I thought the ball was going in. Hat's off to RSL on a great run. They just could never get that final touch into goal but they had many chances. Kreis had them playing too conservatively in the opening and that led to the goal by los Rayados.

It's a bit of a letdown, but hopefully this will inspire more MLS teams to try to put together a similar run. We need to let the Mexican clubs know that this won't be the last time that we challenge them for this title and that we will get it eventually.

Unfortuanately I don't like our four reps this year. FC Dallas is up and down, LA will choke again in this tournament, Seattle is too banged up and lost Nkufo, and Colorado is far from the best team in the league. I think we may have to wait a year for RSL to get back into it or New York to get in it. Those are the only teams I see that are currently equipped and have the swag to challenge in this thing. It's stupid that we send the MLS Cup runner-up instead of the second best regular season team, in which case would have been RSL again. Or even the Eastern Conf. regular season champ which was NY. Using the playoffs to decide two of our CONCACAF reps weakens our chances in this tournament. We need to start sending the best we can get. Just my two cents. I'm fine with the Open Cup winner being in it though.

What did you make of last night's game, Loras?

Mourinho must be embarrassed. Played at home in the grand Bernabeu stadium, 75,000 people watching and he has instructed his team to not play football. Not a single bit of football please. I will keep my creative players on the bench and those that are on the pitch are under strict orders to not do anything other than lean back and hope for a mistake. With the result that players like Ronaldo, Di Maria and Ozil were invisible in the first half.

Barcelona on the other hand had committed themselves to not falling into a trap. They were clearly feeling that it was not their task to make the game, since this was Madrid's home game. They were content to have possession, which they did, with 71% possession for Barca, vs 29% for Madrid. This didn't result in chances though, in part because Barca refused to commit themselves to attack.

Second half, a little more exciting, a well deserved red card for the Swine, some decent refereeing by the German ref. Great move by Afellay that led to Messi's solid 0-1 and then a master goal by Messi that had me off the couch screaming "Barca!!!!".

And all of this in the Bernabeu.

What I also like about this result is that it will force Mounrinho to field a more aggressive side in the return game. He has to win , with big numbers. He can only hope to achieve that by going all out. So we may see Benzema, Higuain and/or Kaka.

I'm glad Barca proved that anti-futbol is not the way teams should play the future. I would much prefer Madrid to get a manager who allows his excellent players to go beyond their own half.

These replays are getting annoying.

I was wondering if I was the only one who was being annoyed by all of those seemingly random replays. Horrid.

Ironically when I first started working in soccer broadcasting, I contacted FSC for tips! Maybe they weren't in charge of the production and were just taking whatever feed they could.

What I also like about this result is that it will force Mounrinho to field a more aggressive side in the return game. He has to win , with big numbers. He can only hope to achieve that by going all out.

Of course he has already said that Real can't beat Barca in the second leg (incidentally, isn't that the kind of statement that gets you fired at Madrid?) so he might just refuse to play.

Archived