Football/Soccer XVIII: A Game Of Throw-Ins

mormont

I've seen them even less than you, but I've heard from sources more informed than me that Goetze's regarded as a better prospect than Mesut Ozil and Thomas Muller. Which is a fucking terrifying prospect for anyone who has to play Germany at the next world cup.

I've seen them even less than you, but I've heard from sources more informed than me that Goetze's regarded as a better prospect than Mesut Ozil and Thomas Muller. Which is a fucking terrifying prospect for anyone who has to play Germany at the next world cup.

As in better than they were when they were 18? That doesn't necessarily mean much. Better than they are now? I haven't watched them much, but I don't think that's very likely.

Javier Hernandez turns good for Man Utd, once again. Looks like a 19th league title.

Under other circumstances I might agree with you - but with both Chelsea and Arsenal to play in the next two weeks and two legs of a Champion's League semi-final in the midweeks before each of those games, well... there's still a bit of work to be done. Man U certainly had to win today, but I think it wouldn't be a huge shock if they dropped six points in those games, and that means there's still a chance Chelsea and Arsenal can catch up.

On the other hand, Man U don't have to win both those games - 2 or 3 points from those fixtures should be enough.

*facepalm*

Hearts draw yet another game... since building up what looked like an unassailable 14-point gap in third place, we've chucked away a lot of points - 4 draws in the last 6, for a start - but to lose a 3-0 lead with half an hour to go, that's just unprofessional.

As in better than they were when they were 18? That doesn't necessarily mean much. Better than they are now? I haven't watched them much, but I don't think that's very likely.

As in they think he'll end up better than they are now. It's speculation of course and may not happen but they're people with good judgement.

Hernandez is wickeds.

Goetze is clearly one of the power packages within the Dormund side, and an international as well now. Grosskreutz is also rated, he plays on the wing from what I have seen. He has amazing stamina. Hard to say though if the team is as good simply because they play very well as this side, of if individually some of these will belong to the greats. I wouldn't say Goetze is above Ozil or Mueller at all though.

Agreed with Mormont on United. Still Chelsea and Arsenal to play, and Man U's record against the big teams has been very unconvincing this season, to me anyway. Yes they did beat Chelsea in the CL, but the league results before that weren't great. Also, there is two more difficult CL games whereas Chelsea and Arsenal are free of obligations and will thus have extra rest.

Natch. This has been a pretty frustrating match, from a Chelsea fan's perspective, they (specifically Malouda) seem clinically incapable of actually taking their chances.

This is as good a time as any to 'fess up and admit that I was wrong to have doubts over whether Dalglish could still cut it as a manager after so long out, by the way. Those reservations are looking a bit silly now. :P

ETA - Torres has just scored a goal. :stunned:

Torres finally gets one, at least someone is capable of finishing a goal in this side. Happy for him, these last few weeks can't've been fun.

We've had to use Cech much more than we should vs. WHFC (no offense, Nas & Here).

Ah, and there's a goal from Malouda, somewhat making up for bottling that opening-minute chance.

This is as good a time as any to 'fess up and admit that I was wrong to have doubts over whether Dalglish could still cut it as a manager after so long out, by the way. Those reservations are looking a bit silly now. :P

Me too. A care-taker for a confidence bump seemed fine, but I was worried about his ability to drive the club back to the peak over several years. He seems like the best candidate by far right now.

Liverpool's form under Dalglish would make them title contenders if the season had started in January. Considering this squad still has massive gaps, was very low on confidence, has significant injury absences and has a new, unfamiliar strike-force, the turnaround has been amazing. Having the right manager, in terms of man-management, tactics and attitude, is just huge.

United did well to hold off an in-form Everton today, and may have been a touch fortunate. But Hernandez has been prolific for a young back-up striker in his first season. Obertan, Bebe and others might slink off into obscurity, buy United won't mind so long as they have one real success.

United did well to hold off an in-form Everton today, and may have been a touch fortunate.

Don't agree with this based on the match I saw. Man U was well ahead of Everton throughout the game and could have closed it much earlier than they did. Everton is a difficult opponent but they didn't deserve a draw here.

Agreed on Dalglish though, Liverpool is on quite the revival. Probably too far off for a CL spot, which is a shame in a way because I'd like to see what this revived side could do in the CL next year. Suarez and Carroll upfront, Kuyt playing at his best, they could be title contenders again next year.

I'm hearing rumours that Man U wants Sneijder. I'd like that.

Oh and I almost forgot. Messi the legend just scored his 31st league goal, now two goals ahead of Ronaldo. That brings his season total to 50 goals, which is an all-time record in Spain, taking over from, get this, Ferenc Puskas, who scored 49 goals in a season in 1959/1960 for Real Madrid.

It's built up as follows:

Primera Division: 31 ( and counting)

Cl: 9

Copa Del Rey: 7

Super Cup match: 3

I still say the the best player ever award is a toss up between him and Brazilian Ronaldo. But I have to conceed that not having seen Pele and Cruyff live, or Maradone in his prime, might have an effect on that. The best since 1990 then.

As for Barca, they are now at 88 points out of 33 league games, which is astounding. With 5 more games to go, they could reach 100 points, which would be legendary. Now if only they beat Madrid in the CL...

Speaking of Madrid btw, they went to Valencia and at one point were up 0-5, then let Valencia back a bit but in the end won by 3-6. That is the sort of Madrid I love to watch. It had Benzema, Kaka ( 2) and Higuain ( 3) scoring, all players I love seeing in the first 11, the first two especially.

Archived