The Hunger Games Trilogy

Werthead

Who cares? Maybe they are super efficiency at using coal? It just doesn't seem all that important.

Regardless of the coal, it feels like a failure of the world building. It is impractical that there is just this one city in the district, or one city in any of the districts. Particularly as its described that all of the eligible children for the games gathers in one area of the town. It feels clunky.

Why? I never get this complaint.

The episodic starting and stopping of the chapters tended to take me out of the flow of reading. That was my particular issue.

Regardless of the coal, it feels like a failure of the world building. It is impractical that there is just this one city in the district, or one city in any of the districts.

It's a post-apocalyptic world with a low surviving population and a central authority that restricts growth. I don't see the problem...

Particularly as its described that all of the eligible children for the games gathers in one area of the town.

Some of the other districts are much bigger than 12, and you can gather an awful lot of people in one area: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_peaceful_gatherings_in_history

It's a post-apocalyptic world with a low surviving population and a central authority that restricts growth. I don't see

The descriptions used don't jive. The small population, the work the majority of them appear to do, the poverty and starvation shouldn't just be restricting growth, the district should likely be in a decline it can't recover from.

That and the distance from the capitol? I don't care how disillusioned the populace of Twelve is, there should have been an underground movement of rebellion long before Katniss came along. Particularly at a distance of most of the united states...

That and the distance from the capitol? I don't care how disillusioned the populace of Twelve is, there should have been an underground movement of rebellion long before Katniss came along. Particularly at a distance of most of the united states...

Erm, there was? It's like the whole point that the already-existing restistance used Katniss as their symbol.

Sure there was. Katniss wasn't peppery aware of it but there were signs there (I'd have to check back to remember what specifically made me think it but I definitely picked up such a subcurrent reading the first one).

Most obviously, the Mockingjay pin.

Not in the first one. I knew enough about the stories going in to know what was to come down the line. I was looking for the undercurrent, but it was never there, or it was something that felt forced with the reveals of the second and third books that were not part of the original plan. The mockingjay pin was a gift from another girl in town, who happened to be the Mayor's daughter, and an unlikely friend, but it had nothing to do with any concentrated resistance within Twelve. It became a symbol in the subsequent novels.

But you touch on why I truly did not like the all from the point of view of Katniss storytelling. If there was more to the story, especially in the background, giving us a Haymitch or Cinna POV may have really taken the story to the next level.

The descriptions used don't jive. The small population, the work the majority of them appear to do, the poverty and starvation shouldn't just be restricting growth, the district should likely be in a decline it can't recover from.

They are desperately poor and beaten down and centuries behind in the technological competition. There are signs of individual rebellion (like Gale) but most of the populace seems completely beaten down. And there's little reason they shouldn't be. We see the results of a riot in Book 1 or 2. It gets put down hard and fast (or is supposed to be).

The Capitol's position is precarious and that's why it eventually topples. The current setup is only like 75 year old when the novel ends.

It became a symbol in the subsequent novels.

It became associated with Katniss after the events of the first book. but it was an anti-Capitol symbol right from the start, because of the history of the mockingjays.

But you touch on why I truly did not like the all from the point of view of Katniss storytelling. If there was more to the story, especially in the background, giving us a Haymitch or Cinna POV may have really taken the story to the next level.

I liked this about them. It gives the reader some of the sense of confusion that Katniss herself has. Also I said before that I saw the second two books especially as a strong subversion of the Mary-Sue thing, with traits that are often played as positives or signs of a good character turning out to be problematic. Seeing her from outside her own perspective would have made that more obvious but imo perhaps less effective.

Loved the first book, lukewarm on the second and hated the third book. At least the movies can fix the weak plots.

I think the decision to split the third one into two films is going to be one of the few times when I'm glad of a move like that - for me it was a good story badly hobbled by being about two hundred pages shorter than it needed to be.

I liked this about them. It gives the reader some of the sense of confusion that Katniss herself has. Also I said before that I saw the second two books especially as a strong subversion of the Mary-Sue thing, with traits that are often played as positives or signs of a good character turning out to be problematic. Seeing her from outside her own perspective would have made that more obvious but imo perhaps less effective.

Well said. I think a lot of what I enjoyed about the story was being locked into Katniss. It does sort of flatten the world, but it also tends to excuse it. Collins gives the reader, well, most readers, enough to propel the action and explore the mood.

I think the decision to split the third one into two films is going to be one of the few times when I'm glad of a move like that - for me it was a good story badly hobbled by being about two hundred pages shorter than it needed to be.

I can't say I loved Mockingjay, but it presented confusion, crisis, and the sort of overwhelming nature of the broader situation to Katniss rather well. I'm not sure, but would be interested to know, how two hundred more pages would have helped. (Collins was writing with some technical constraints that would have made those pages impossible, I think.)

I can't say I loved Mockingjay, but it presented confusion, crisis, and the sort of overwhelming nature of the broader situation to Katniss rather well. I'm not sure, but would be interested to know, how two hundred more pages would have helped. (Collins was writing with some technical constraints that would have made those pages impossible, I think.)

In my mind, it seems like the people who wanted more pages in book 3 or think the view from only Katniss was limiting are focusing on the rebellion story and missing that the series is far more about Katniss then it is about a revolution.

In my mind, it seems like the people who wanted more pages in book 3 or think the view from only Katniss was limiting are focusing on the rebellion story and missing that the series is far more about Katniss then it is about a revolution.

Nah, for me, quite simply, things just happened too fast. Even from her perspective. There wasn't enough time for the shock and horror that she was feeling to properly come across before things zoomed on to the next part.

I think I wanted more, POVs from other characters to flesh out the story as a whole, mainly because by the end of Mockinjay, I could only take so much self flaggelation from Katniss. I get it. I don't mind the first person narrative and it works for a lot of what's going on, but for me its became too much by the end. Would a shift in POV, maintaining a first person narrative, to Haymitch or Gale or Cinna been so bad? Especially if we got to live the rebellion through their eyes and perhaps understand a little bit more of what Katniss actually meant to them? Both as the symbol and as the girl?

I found the end of third book really bad. I kept reading it and suddenly I couldn't tell If she was describing a dream of if that was actually happening.

So I grew angry, then frustrated and finally just a bit disappointed.

The book is more gory than the films and I kept myself thinking in several occasions: how will they film this ??

Archived