Why do the direwolves hate Tyrion?

limbstan

I've noticed this quite a bit as I'm reading Game for the umpteenth time, and I'm also noticing the comparisons between a a giant, and I'm thinking about Bran's third shadow, and I'm wonder how this might fit, although I'm still believing it's Petyr.

I had a theory about this once: the stone giant was Tyrion/The Rock (Castlery Rock) and it had no face because a dwarf was inside the armour... Also Tyrion was compared to a potential giant once or twice...

There are fans out there that think tyrion is a Targ??? WTF? That's the most ridiculus theory I've ever heard! Can someone direct me to a thread that explains this theory? It's sure to give me a right aul good laugh.

When and why did that happen? I can't remember that part.

I discovered on this forum that actually many people thinks he is....

I don't think he is, he is a pure concentrate of Lannister.

OT

Direwolves dislikes him because they sense danger of course.

Tyrion is evil and vindictive and manipulative, direwolves sensed it.

In many think this is too semplicistic, but it's not, during the first books GRRM tried his best to make the reader simpathize with him, he helped Bran and John, and he tried to make him pass as a decent individuals (even if i consider him the most unreliable narrator of all the POVs), GRRM tried to "cammuflage" his vile acts and his disregards of people(he's ready to torture Tommen just to win over Cercei- but GRRM wrote it as if he was searching justice for a poor innocent girl).

So, yes, in my opinion in the future he will do something awful to some Stark.

Very Awful.

Because he's a misogynistic little man who is an enemy of the Starks? Besides, they're wild animals aren't they that react to their owner's basic emotions? I seem to remember Summer and Shaggydog attacking the Reeds for instance.

Yes, The wolves react to the feeling of their master. If the master does not like Tyrion, the wolf will behave likewise. I was also thinking the wolves "knew" Jaime had pushed Bran and were recognizing the Lannister "odor" on him.

Nothing to do with Fire. Ghost has nothing against Melisandre.

I think the direwolves have some sense of what the future will bring, especially when it comes to future danger. I think their dislike of Tyrion has nothing to do with his personality, conscious intentions, or (probable) Targaryen ancestry, but rather with the fact that he will soon be captured by Lady Catelyn, leading to a war that will be disastrous for the family. Similarly Ghost likes Melisandre not because she's such a nice person but because she will (we can assume) do something helpful for Jon. (This last part tells against any fire/ice animosity being part of it, by the way.)

Yes, The wolves react to the feeling of their master. If the master does not like Tyrion, the wolf will behave likewise. I was also thinking the wolves "knew" Jaime had pushed Bran and were recognizing the Lannister "odor" on him.

Nothing to do with Fire. Ghost has nothing against Melisandre.

If the wolves were just reacting to the feelings of their masters, Ghost would not like Melisandre.

Direwolves here are just channeling their owners' emotions. I don't think it has anything to do with Tyrion's parentage or even him being on anti-Stark side. If that was the case, then direwolves are the worst anti-Stark detectors ever - after all, they kept silent about:

-Jaime, who pushed Bran out of window

-Cersei, who was instrumental in Stark downfall

-unnamed assassin, who tried to kill Bran

-Joffrey, who hired said assassin

-Sandor, who was later hunting for Arya with the possible intention of killing her

-Mance Rayder, king of enemy faction

It makes exactly zero sense if direwolves kept silent about all of these but barked at Tyrion.

Some here will tell you that Tyrion had simply not washed that day, or that the scent of a passing stray dog happend to cling to his clothes at the time, thus angering the wolves, or that they growled for some other mundane reason.

I'll be honest, I've been incredibly suprised by the prevalence on this board of people who adhere to mundane explanations for a lot of the mystical events in ASOIAF.

My view is very different. The Direwolves have knowledge of the future and have a far more mystical role than the proponents of the "they simply reflect the feelings of the warg children" theory believe.

The wolves knew Tyrion represented the Lannisters, who would be mortal enemies of the Starks. Just like when the Raven arrived at Winterfell they knew before Maester Luwin that Ned was dead.

Just like Grey Wind mistrusted the Westerlings even though Robb was in love with their daughter.

The Wolves are representatives of the Old Gods of the North, and they fill a prophetic, mystical and highly symbolic function in the Stark family.

And they are intimately connected to the battle to save the world from the Others.

So while some prefer to argue that events in ASOIAF are far more random and mundane than a fantasy setting would warrant, I am in the opposite camp, and think it is clear that the mystical aspects to the story are far more significant than some like to believe.

So why did the Direwolves growl at Tyrion - because his house would bring doom to the Starks.

This.

Also. I need to re-read but isn't Nymeria on a killing spree in the Riverlands. Taking out Frey and Frey supporters?

Oh here: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Nymeria_%28direwolf%29

I guess some might argue for coincidence, but is seems to me that Nymeria recognizes friend from foe...

If the wolves were just reacting to the feelings of their masters, Ghost would not like Melisandre.

Greywind didn't want to enter into Frey's castle, and Robb had to oblige him, he wasn't reacting to Robb's feeling.

Direwolves have animal insticts that make them predict the "danger", and Tyrion is indeed a danger.

I discovered on this forum that actually many people thinks he is....

I don't think he is, he is a pure concentrate of Lannister.

OT

Direwolves dislikes him because they sense danger of course.

Tyrion is evil and vindictive and manipulative, direwolves sensed it.

In many think this is too semplicistic, but it's not, during the first books GRRM tried his best to make the reader simpathize with him, he helped Bran and John, and he tried to make him pass as a decent individuals (even if i consider him the most unreliable narrator of all the POVs), GRRM tried to "cammuflage" his vile acts and his disregards of people(he's ready to torture Tommen just to win over Cercei- but GRRM wrote it as if he was searching justice for a poor innocent girl).

So, yes, in my opinion in the future he will do something awful to some Stark.

Very Awful.

Impossible

In that case Greywind would have ripped out Roose's throat the moment he saw him.

Impossible

In that case Greywind would have ripped out Roose's throat the moment he saw him.

Have we any witnesses of how Greywind reacted to Roose?

Catelyn wasn't there when they were together(if i remember correctly).

Anyway, even if Greywind shown his dislikes of Roose, Robb wouldn't understand it and would have simply dismissed it as his Direwolf being agressive.

I think the notorious 'original draft' may have something to do with it. We don't know when Tyrion's intended northern arc was given to Theon/Ramsey; perhaps it was still in the plans as early as that point in AGOT. So in that case, indeed Tyrion would be doing something awful to the Starks in the future.

I had a theory about this once: the stone giant was Tyrion/The Rock (Castlery Rock) and it had no face because a dwarf was inside the armour... Also Tyrion was compared to a potential giant once or twice...

:lmao:

This.

Also. I need to re-read but isn't Nymeria on a killing spree in the Riverlands. Taking out Frey and Frey supporters?

Oh here: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Nymeria_%28direwolf%29

I guess some might argue for coincidence, but is seems to me that Nymeria recognizes friend from foe...

This was described the day before Arya had a wolf dream of Nymeria taking down the pursuit from Harrenhal...

It was growing colder, and pale white mists were threading between the pines and blowing across the bare burned flelds.

Arya I, Storm

And then...

She was no little girl in the dream; she was a wolf, huge and powerful, and when she emerged from beneath the trees in front of them and bared her teeth in a low rumbling growl, she could smell the rank stench of fear from horse and man alike. The Lyseni's mount reared and screamed in terror, and the others shouted at one another in mantalk, but before they could act the other wolves came hurtling from the darkness and the rain, a great pack of them, gaunt and wet and silent.

Arya I, Storm

I think Bloodraven was guiding Nymeria...

How many eyes does Lord Bloodraven have? the riddle ran. A thousand eyes, and one. Some claimed the King's Hand was a student of the dark arts who could change his face, put on the likeness of a one-eyed dog, even turn into a mist. Packs of gaunt gray wolves hunted down his foes, men said, and carrion crows spied for him and whispered secrets in his ear. Most of the tales were only tales, Dunk did not doubt, but no one could doubt that Bloodraven had informers everywhere.

TMK

I have a feeling that Nymeria will aid the Blackfish when he rescues Edmure.

Have we any witnesses of how Greywind reacted to Roose?

Catelyn wasn't there when they were together(if i remember correctly).

Anyway, even if Greywind shown his dislikes of Roose, Robb wouldn't understand it and would have simply dismissed it as his Direwolf being agressive.

Again, did Greywind react to Theon, Jaime, Cersei, Bran's assassin, Joffrey, Mance Rayder; all of them people who did at least as much for the anti-Stark cause as Tyrion did?

lol, irrational Tyrion haters who can't stand the concept of a grey character in a book about grey characters.

The direwolves are much like the dragons; they can sense what their owner is thinking/feeling and shares their loves and hates. Notice that when Jon warmed up to Tyrion, so did Ghost.

Again, did Greywind react to Theon, Jaime, Cersei, Bran's assassin, Joffrey, Mance Rayder; all of them people who did at least as much for the anti-Stark cause as Tyrion did?

Greywind never faced Jamie or Cercei or even Joffrey.

They all stays far away from them.

About Theon, mnn, yes, what he did was awful but he isn't a real enemy.

The fact that direwolves reacted to TYRION (not even once)could means that he will do something more awful than Theon and Roose.

Maybe another interesting question to answer is why does the Hound hate Tyrion? Perhaos for the same reason only Sandor has knowledge having spent most of his life in Lannister service and the wolves have instinct. I know there are a lot of Tyrion fans (including me) but there is more to his back story and character than we know I suspect.

Archived