Football 19: A Clash of Kicks

Zoë Sumra

Puyol is certainly pacier than Terry: I'm not suggesting he'd make the hundred metres final, but he's reasonably fast for a defender, certainly enough to be comfortable with a high line even against players ten years his junior. I would also say that he's at least as physically strong as Terry - and his ability in the air speaks for itself.

He isn't fast at all. There's a reason he is known for making last ditch tackles. Its because his lack of pace/positioning means he has to save situations. He is nowhere near as strong as Terry. His ability in the air is his strong suit agreed.

Not a fan of Puyol, either. I wouldn't have him anywhere near the national team. Barca, on the other hand, is an entirely different thing. I respect him as a Barca man, even if I've never really rated him as highly as others.

sunderland away second game of the season, thats a shame, they tend to start quite well then suck ass as the season goes on. no really interesting games in the first week. hoping newcastle v arsenal will be on sky for first weekend.

sunderland away second game of the season, thats a shame, they tend to start quite well then suck ass as the season goes on.

I'm quite pleased with the timing of our derby. It falls on my birthday! Going to be well wrecked. :drunk:

Anyway, not sure if anyone follows this website, but here's a great footie conman story:

He wanted to be a player, without having to play. Jack Lang tells the story of Carlos Henrique Kaiser.

His CV is that of a relatively successful, if transient, Brazilian striker. An impressive collection of domestic clubs – Vasco da Gama, Flamengo, Fluminense, Botafogo – is complimented by more exotic names; Ajaccio in Corsica, and Mexican side Puebla. Yet Carlos Henrique Kaiser is nigh-on unknown in the football community, and for good reason; he only managed around 30 full games (and no goals) during a career that spanned over two decades.

This, however, is not another sob story of injury, hardship, and wasted potential. At least not directly. Kaiser, far from being a victim of circumstance, achieved an unerring mastery of his own destiny; eking out a living in the game despite possessing neither the ability nor the application necessary for success on the pitch. His tale is that of a man who, in his own words, "wanted to be a player, without having to play."

Born into a relatively poor family, the young Carlos Henrique dreamt of a more comfortable life. As so often in Brazil, football presented itself as the most salient means to this end; Kaiser entered the Botafogo academy system, before switching to Flamengo. At the age of 16, he was spotted by a scout from Puebla, and travelled to Mexico to turn professional. That adjective would rarely be appropriate thereafter.

As adolescence segued into adulthood, Kaiser's talent faded. Simultaneously, he became attached to the lifestyle of the footballer; partying and womanising were his true vocations, and didn't come cheap. To maintain his social standing, then, Kaiser needed a way to stay in the game. His solution was a lesson in subterfuge and cunning. He became, in the words of former teammate Ricardo Rocha, "the biggest conman in Brazilian football."

Read the rest of the story by following the link:

Source - In Bed with Maradona

:laugh:

Puyol seems to be terribly underrated here. As someone that watches Barsa every Sunday I think it's fair to say that Puyol is far more important than Pique. This is for a couple reasons, but mostly Puyol's leadership in the backline is terribly missed. During an interview with AS Pique said the following:

"During Puyol's first game back from injury I went to talk to him when we were 4-0 up and said "Puyi! I missed you soo much!". To which he replied, "Pique stfu and concentrate that I know you!" ".

His partnership with Pique is built on complimentary skillsets. I doubt Terry (who is a fantastic defender) and Ferdinand would make Pique shine so much and vice versa.

The only one that would make Barca's team is Rooney for Pedro, assuming Rooney's dry spells aren't going to become a common thing in future seasons.

This discussion's given an idea for an question: Do you think you could come up with a team of all-stars (with subs if you have a lot of free time) pulled from all of Europe minus Barca, that given three months of training together, could beat Barca 6 out 10* matches? Can you come up with enough raw talent to overcome the understanding that Barcelona players have from being together for a decade?

I don't think so because that's essentially what Real Madrid is, but maybe you try a different approach. Maybe take a team that already plays well together and strengthen it a bit. For example, Dortmund, but with Rooney and Ronaldo. Or try to tailor a team to Barca's weaknesses. Take advantage of Barca's relative lack of height and strength and build a team around Carrol or Drogba, or their lack of speed with speedsters like Bale or Walcott. What do you think? Can you come up with a European starting XI for the sole purpose of beating Barcelona?

*I put in that stipulation because I could conceive of a midfield along the lines of Park/Prince-Boateng/Khedira/De Jong/Kuyt that could give Barca a lot of trouble and even win, but at best could turn the match into a coin flip.

Mormont must be confused - there's shenanigans relating to Hearts that don't involve Mad Vlad :P

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-13808562

The 20-year-old was also fined £4,000 for his lewd, libidinous and indecent behaviour towards two girls, aged 12 and 14, over the internet.

Is there a puking Emoticon?

I wonder when David "Good"willie will be going to court.

This discussion's given an idea for an question: Do you think you could come up with a team of all-stars (with subs if you have a lot of free time) pulled from all of Europe minus Barca, that given three months of training together, could beat Barca 6 out 10* matches?

I wondered that following the final. I doubt it's possible.

Also, BarrileteCosmico, no one is underestimating Puyol's worth. Just his talent. ;)

Archived