Football 19: A Clash of Kicks

Zoƫ Sumra

we were there.

it was so much fun.

the el salvadoran fans were amazing. they embraced the american team, waved the flag of the united states, chanted along with the american supporters. it was fantastic.

after the game the stadium turned blue. the blue of el salvador was everywhere. the stadium was full. people danced, sang, shouted, banged on drums. it was a proper soccer atmosphere.

wow. simply fucking wow.

I don't understand why Villa have appointed McLeish. Sure, he's a good manager and has a good track record in management but I don't see him as being the man who'll take Aston Villa back to where they want, which is challenging for a place in the Champions League again.

Pretty slow transfer season so far...

No big names or bombs have been dropped so far. I expect it will change as soon as the first bomb is dropped and cash floods the market.

Top transfers to be expected? Aguero, Cesc Fabregas, Fabio Coentrao, Sneijder, Bale, Modric...?

I don't understand why Villa have appointed McLeish. Sure, he's a good manager and has a good track record in management but I don't see him as being the man who'll take Aston Villa back to where they want, which is challenging for a place in the Champions League again.

The devil you know?

It's weird.

They could have had Hughes but they didn't like the way he jumped from Fulham the moment they hinted... so they went with McLeish who informed Bham he was quitting by email.

It makes even less sense when you consider they were so set on Martinez who's almost the anti-McLeish.

If you're going to sink into mediocrity then there are worse choices, I suppose.

Taking over Villa is a poisoned chalice, at the moment. Only a nutter would take over there.

Lerner seems to me like he is ready to begin selling and recoup some of the money they have spent in recent years. Milner went last season, Young is about to go and I expect at least Downing to follow him out the door.

Villa are a team in decline. They were lucky to end up 9th this season. I peg them to finish 13/14 next season and relegation candidates after that.

Would it kill Chelsea to appoint a British manager, for a change?

In other news, I'm pleased Neil Lennon has been rewarded a new contract. Now time for business. New season starts in a few weeks.

and jack warner has resigned as fifa vice president according to sky sports news. good riddance.

I can't agree, and here's why:

"As a consequence of Mr Warner's resignation, all ethics committee procedures against him have been closed and the presumption of innocence is maintained," said a Fifa statement.

So it really is that simple. Accused of bribery? Just resign and you get off scot-free. No black marks, no awkward questions that might lead to the exposure of further wrongdoing by you or by others, no house-cleaning by FIFA, just another dingy backroom deal - you go quietly and we'll sweep the whole thing under the carpet. Shameful but par for the course.

I can't agree, and here's why:

So it really is that simple. Accused of bribery? Just resign and you get off scot-free. No black marks, no awkward questions that might lead to the exposure of further wrongdoing by you or by others, no house-cleaning by FIFA, just another dingy backroom deal - you go quietly and we'll sweep the whole thing under the carpet. Shameful but par for the course.

wasn't aware of that, i just saw the news as it was breaking.

it could have been worse though, they could all be investigated and found 'not guilty' irregardless of the evidence.

only god almighty would be able to make champion-league-spot-challengers out of this this aston villa squad.

No big names or bombs have been dropped so far. I expect it will change as soon as the first bomb is dropped and cash floods the market.

Top transfers to be expected? Aguero, Cesc Fabregas, Fabio Coentrao, Sneijder, Bale, Modric...?

i expect nothing when it comes to fabregas. it will most probably be the same as last couple of summers - we'll hear at least 10 times about barca trying to sign him and/or succeeding and he'll stay in arsenal, sulking the whole next season.

bale will probably go, because his price is so inflated right now it's ridiculous. the guy played several great games and spent half the season injured or giving average performance (based on some thfc games i've seen and on his fantasy football score :D). unless spurs offload him now, they will do so for significantly less money in a year or two.

I thought it was rather cheeky when a Barca official (Rossel?) recently stated that, if a transfer were to take place, Arsenal would need to consider a lower price than they offered last time, as his value has dropped. :laugh: But it's not unsurprising, he has an argument, and Barca don't have the financial stength in the transfer market. Most you'll see is one first team addition, Aguero/Mata perhaps?

I too expect Cesc to stay put. It would honestly be quite stupid for Barca to go for him. Thiago > Cesc -40M. Sanchez seems close to signing, though.

Roma, Liverpool and Malaga to lead the transfer buying this season. Maybe PSG too. All of them are very ambitious and have new (rich) owners.

The international transfer window does not open until July 1, and most of the big teams are reluctant to sell to domestic rivals so few big names are moving yet.

Once the musical chairs starts it will pick up as transfers beget transfers to replace outgoing players.

Archived