Football 19: A Clash of Kicks

Zoƫ Sumra

I take it you all support Utd then?

Liverpool. YNWA

But a strong transfer window for United is a big worry, so I can't resist speculating. I would be most concerned if they get Modric, who I think would be a much better addition for them than Young, Sneijder or Nasri, even though all three are very good players.

I hate this end-of-season wait, but at least I'm still playing each week even if 'Pool aren't.

U21s line-up v Spain: Fielding, Walker, Bertrand, Smalling, Jones, Mancienne Ā©, Henderson, Cleverley, Rose, Welbeck, Daniel Sturridge

Looking forward to seeing Henderson properly.

Looking forward to seeing Henderson properly.

I wouldn't have minded seeing more of him either but England got totally outplayed in midfield so he didn't feature much.

Bit of a mixed bag for both teams in the end I suppose; Spain dominated possesion with Thiago and Mata in particular looking good but they didn't really create a lot, England looked solid at the back other than the odd set piece but mostly struggled to get into the game going forward.

I assume Mexico is playing tonight at Soldier Field. I stuck in terrible traffic on my way back from my soccer games, surrounded by people waving Mexican flags and shirts out the windows of their cars. But it was fun to see all the fans cheering and celebrating even as we were all stuck in traffic together.

in the MLS. What a strike.

Yeah. What a moment. I went down to Seattle to watch this game (I was not with the travelling support, however, so made myself quite the target for drunken losers, let me tell you!). It was an odd game. Caps had a good first half. New manager Soehn really has the team playing as a more compact unit, and Seattle were having trouble with us in the first half especially. Our defence broke down for both Sounders goals before Hassli got this marvellous equaliser. The officiating was horrible as ever in the MLS, and most of the bad calls hurt Seattle. Overall, the game probably deserved a draw.

This is the second game I have seen at Quest, and, I really must say, it is an awesome atmosphere. Over 36K fans. Sold out allotment of away supporters (only 500, but still really good for the MLS). Great march to the match. 99% of the Seattle fans were really good to me, too, and gave me only good-natured stick. A few drunken dumb-asses looking for trouble made the night interesting, but I knew I was taking a chance and I got back to Vancouver with all the teeth I left with, so I won't complain.

Also, it is worth adding that Hassli was a monster last night. Big, strong, great first touch, turns with the ball, flicks on, and is a pretty decent finisher...if he was not so slow and ill-tempered, he would be playing at a much higher level without a doubt.

The Spain-England game yesterday was fascinating. The Spaniards looked an ideal match to the style and ability of the senior side in terms of possession. They're lacking a direct, selfish forward player, though. Someone who knows where the goal is. Messi?

I would've preferred they play Bojan instead of Ander, but oh well. He doesn't look like becoming a world class player, so it wouldn't have changed much. Smalling and Jones were immense. England (and assuming all goes well) Man United are going to have a fantastic pairing for years to come.

Also, Walker played with a great deal of confidence and made light work of Spain's left-side. Spurs fans must be excited at the thought of he down the right and Bale on the other side.

Disappointed with the performance of Henderson in the middle, who was surely the worse player on the pitch. Mancienne wasn't much better, either, but worked hard at closing down and tried his best. Maybe England should go with Muamba and Rodwell in the next game?

There's few strikers in Britain like Super Gary Hooper! My unbridled love will not be a private affair! :smoking:

In all seriousness, he would've played better than Sturridge the other night. I like the wee man, but he had a bad performance. Amazing stamina, though. Both he and Welbeck look like they could run all day long.

Archived