Football 19: A Clash of Kicks

Zoƫ Sumra

Interesting breakdown of the top earners in the game.

Joleon Lescott? :stillsick: He's pish, frankly.

Yeah, but pay is not always about value. Sometimes you get a whacking great paycheque by being in the right place at the right time. Lescott found himself in exactly that position - he had a good season or two at a time when a suddenly-wealthy-but-unfashionable club needed to make a statement by signing a high-profile young English player. Boom, you're in the money. There are a lot of similar cases in that list. (If you really want to blow your mind, figure out how much Man City are paying Vieira for every minute of actual playing time.)

(If you really want to blow your mind, figure out how much Man City are paying Vieira for every minute of actual playing time.)

Not as much as Owen Hargreaves this season, I'd imagine. Reportedly seventy grand a week for three minutes of football...

And France has found its 18902th brand new "new Zidane"!

We hadn't had one in a couple of years, I was beginning to think we had run out of them.

ETA: I see them as similar to the False Dragons in WoT. Yeah, they are offensive midfielder and they have some technique but as long as none of them has fulfilled the prophecies (lifting a world cup is one, getting at least one red card in an important event is another), then none of them deserves the title.

Is it just me, or have France (apart from the quotas debacle, obviously, but that seems to have petered out a bit and apart from one or two dodgy quotes was nowhere near as controversial as made out to be) very quickly turned from a laughing stock to a genuinely dangerous outfit with loads of young and youngish players making an impact?

If Blanc keeps this up, doesn't get involved in any more major controversies and Fergie doesn't retire too soon, I can see Blanc being the successor. Though given that Blanc is likely to now stay at least till the next World Cup unless things go bad, I'm not sure Fergie will last that long.

How much is France's recent turn-around down to Blanc, though? He's fortunate to have some fantastic resources available to dip into -- look at the number of young talented players they have compared to other nations.

Don't get me wrong, he's acquitted himself well since getting into management. France are in good hands. I just wonder how much praise can be rightly directed to him, at this moment.

Very composed performance from our Irish lads tonight against the Italians. We were under strength, but yet again showed the right kind of mettle to emerge victorious. 2-0. Nice result. Even when we sat back in the second half, they never looked like scoring. Big concerns for Prandelli.

Yeah, but I'm sure he'll be looking beyond qualification, Padraig. His FA aren't going to be content with Italy simply qualifying for the European championship finals. I don't know what their aims exactly are, but it's healthy to surmise that they'd be looking to challenge.

Can't see it, myself.

How much is France's recent turn-around down to Blanc, though? He's fortunate to have some fantastic resources available to dip into -- look at the number of young talented players they have compared to other nations.

Don't get me wrong, he's acquitted himself well since getting into management. France are in good hands. I just wonder how much praise can be rightly directed to him, at this moment.

He turned around the rot very quickly though. He's got good players, but they always do. He seems to have made incredibly rapid inroads on the issues of squad divisions and bad attitudes- suddenly they look a team.

Germany still cruising through the qualifiers.

Looks like Henderson to Liverpool for N'Gog + 12/13mil, but I don't know him well enough to get excited. I'll be more excited if we can sell Cole, Poulsen and Konchesky.

I'm off to play a game now under floodlights, but it's still near 90F here. Crazy weather for football.

Looks like Henderson to Liverpool for N'Gog + 12/13mil, but I don't know him well enough to get excited. I'll be more excited if we can sell Cole, Poulsen and Konchesky.

henderson's price is around 10mil + 2/3mil liverpool will be payin' sunderland to take n'gog off their hands...

it seems fair enough.

Ah, the traditional signs of a British summer. Pouring rain, supermarkets full of garden furniture, and someone paying ludicrous transfer fees for a young English player with one moderately good season under his belt.

I thought the Henderson deal was for around 20 million? Ngog can't bring up the price of the transfer that much. And why would any other EPL club want him? He's crap.

Anyway, transfer news of the day, is Phil Jones going to Man United for 16 million. Liverpool made an offer for the player, which has forced United's hand. Looks like going to OT. He and Smalling will make a fine defensive pair for years to come.

ETA: Wonder where Arsenal are in the market. They're in desperate need of defensive reinforcements.

Archived