Football 19: A Clash of Kicks

Zoë Sumra

Is the A- League set up in a classic ownership style with the clubs as independent entities? I feel like the A-League is similar to our MLS. It's a newer league trying to make its way in the world. I think the single entity system for the MLS is serving us well; it makes the league much more resilient and prudent. We don't have clubs overspending and getting into trouble.

If I recall that aspect is similar: franchises in private ownership, licenses controlled by the federation. Not having a college sports system to match we don't have the draft but there's a $2.25m salary cap and the provision for two 'marquee' players outside the cap (one Aussie, one foreign).

It's a hard row to hoe, AFL and Rugby League are well-entrenched in their respective states, media coverage is hard to come by and there's a large portion of football fans who refuse watch because it's a lower quality competition than the Prem, home of their beloved ManU/Liverpool etc, (as if that was a reasonable objection to a five year old comp) and it doesn't help when the administrators take their eye off the ball and camp outside Zurich for two years for the privilege of bathing Blatter's corns.

Sigh. It was going to happen, but Santi Cazorla, really? The US have gotten run, the second-choice midfield that they've put out is wildly apparent. They just can't hang with Spain, even absent Xavi and Iniesta, Xabi Alonso and Biscuits along with Cazorla rather outclasses Edu, Jermaine Jones, and the rest (no Bradley, Dempsey, or Donovan in the US side today).

Great second goal by Negredo, too.

ETA: Pretty unforgivable third goal there.

Shocking defending all day from usmnt.

Bad defending, but if you play 100% defense b/c your midfield is allowing the opponent all the possession... you're going to have issues.

Well that was embarrassing.

It wasn't great, but I don't think it's that embarrassing. I mean, Spain is well, Spain.

Embarrassing will come on Tuesday, I think, when the US uses Canada as a palette cleanser in the Gold Cup.

:crying: That too could end 4 nil, but for you guys this time.

Big one coming up, Aus vs hideously jetlagged New Zealand - can we go one further than Mexico?

FT 3-0 - odd game, our best stuff went unrewarded while they handed us two goals through atrocious defending and a penalty after a good run by Kruse. Horrible conditions but they didn't play a part. Good hitout for the Euro kids ahead of Serbia on Tuesday.

Yeah, the game wasn't actually embarrassing ("embarrassing" is when some minnow team whups you 4-0). But it certainly wasn't pretty, either. I mean, fuck, even Fernando Torres scored a goal. Maybe this was arranged between Chelsea and Bob Bradley so the poor bastard could get his mojo back? ;)

While this committee won't do shit I feel I should point out that even though Kissinger only walks the Earth because the Devil doesn't want the competition he is a football fan and twisted the Brazillian government's arm when they were refusing to let Pele leave Santos for the NY Cosmos.

While this committee won't do shit I feel I should point out that even though Kissinger only walks the Earth because the Devil doesn't want the competition he is a football fan and twisted the Brazillian government's arm when they were refusing to let Pele leave Santos for the NY Cosmos.

Apparently he's also a friend of Blatter's, though.

Apparently he's also a friend of Blatter's, though.

Naturally, and Fifa won't reform itself. I just felt I should point out that this isn't out of the blue, that Henry K. amongst other thing is a football person.

Rumours of Nasri leaving Arsenal for United don't look like going away. The player isn't helping it, either, by saying things like:

"Do I want to go to Man United? First, we should see if it's real and if it is concrete."

:laugh: That'll not cool Arsenal's fans down. They'll rage if he leaves for United.

And word is Bougherra is going to buy-out his contract at Rangers, invoking the Webster ruling (irony), and GTFO. :lmao:

Martin Jol has been named as the new manager of Fulham. The fans should be very happy with that. I like him more than Mark Hughes, so feel they've came out the right way in this whole mishap.

0-0 with Serbia.

Nice open match. We were pretty hot in the first '10 but they settled and quickly took over midfield where we were outnumbered and for the most part outclassed. Still, a good test for the new guard and I think Osieck is learning a fair bit about his WC Qualifier squad from these games.

Archived