Aidan Gillen's portrayal of Littlefinger: Yay or Nay?

valacirca

His character on the show is flattened out to be a cardboard version of himself. With a papery cardboard accent to boot. Too obvious.

I don't think he was too obvious in season 1. I hadn't read the books at that stage and I really didn't know how Ned's attempt to arrest Joffrey was going to go.

Since then he has hammed it up a bit I grant you.

I don't think he was too obvious in season 1. I hadn't read the books at that stage and I really didn't know how Ned's attempt to arrest Joffrey was going to go.

Since then he has hammed it up a bit I grant you.

He had that big villain monologue set to sexposition (ugh) in You Win or You Die, where he says he wants to fuck over all those nobles.

I feel like Gillen has altered the way he articulates LF as the seasons have progressed. I liked him in season 1 from what I can remember, but he's changed his approach with a more mysterious, slow manner as of late. I prefer the former. I'll go with a 3 as of now.

I think he makes an excellent character on his own, and conveys the sense of diabolical scheming very well. The show is very much based on pretty dark and gritty aesthetics, and it would be hard to convey a more upbeat LF without him being a bit silly, and silliness would take from the script.

The main risk is that LF would appear like this:

http://www.mariowiki.com/dimentio

I certainly think Gillen's adequate as a performer. He can do sad, happy, devious and so forth. But does he thrill me as LF? certainly not. Not in the same way Maisie Williams' Arya or Charles Dance's Tywin exploded my mind.

LF is a difficult character to portray, and for me Gillen just doesn't quite get there. I concede that a lot of this is to do with the way that the show is scripted and directed - certain characters have been flattened out to fit conventional tv friendly hero/villain portrayals (the whole 'Saint Tyrion' thing, for example...) In the show, Gillen just doesn't evoke the underlying complexities of book LF. His relationship with show Sansa (and don't get me started on her) for example, seems so straightforwardly paternal and loving (although I concede they managed the kiss very well). Gillen's just too straightforward. There's not enough nuance there.

Hmmm, it's a 6/10 from me.

Nope. As I said, apart from the kiss, I have seen no evidence of knee bouncing or leching as in bookFinger. What little interactions that they have had have mostly been exposition.

Well, you missed quite a lot - including the scene with his tongue on the floor at the sight of her boobies. Check out the Inside the Episode, they spell it out very clearly.

Haha :-)

Well, you missed quite a lot - including the scene with his tongue on the floor at the sight of her boobies. Check out the Inside the Episode, they spell it out very clearly.

I have just watched that scene back. I sort of see what you are saying. But I saw no boob watching :dunno: I maintain, their relationship is a lot more opaque in the show. Gillen has a sort of 'look' which he gives Sansa. But it's not the out and out creeptasticness of the Eyrie chapters in the books.

I think it's in a way creepier because they have sexualized her in a dark way. She's Darth Sansa on the show, she's gone to the dark side. So that makes him look less dark, too. I think he had to change his performance based on this change they made to Sansa. Earlier he was playing their interactions closer to the books (like the tournament scene). Now I think he's struggling to adapt to this storyline that makes very little sense. Like you, I don't think she's capturing Sansa very well, either, but ultimately, I blame the showrunners, rather than the actors.

Nope. As I said, apart from the kiss, I have seen no evidence of knee bouncing or leching as in bookFinger. What little interactions that they have had have mostly been exposition.

Haha :-)

I have just watched that scene back. I sort of see what you are saying. But I saw no boob watching :dunno: I maintain, their relationship is a lot more opaque in the show. Gillen has a sort of 'look' which he gives Sansa. But it's not the out and out creeptasticness of the Eyrie chapters in the books.

LOL "apart from the kiss". And Jaime's and Cersei's relationship is totally platonic, "apart" from all those times they had sex. :)

His attraction to her could only be opaque to 2-year olds. He didn't outright kiss her before that, but he was creepin' on her in every season, since the Hand's tourney in season 1. They even added more scenes between them in season 3 and had Ros and Shae spell it out that he's being a creep, just in case the viewers didn't notice. And in season 4, since Breaker of Chains, everyone noticed how he was creepily touching her and getting close to her all the time on the boat.

And you seem to have forgotten what it was like in the books. He is always giving her exposition, in every scene they have together, except in the kiss scene where he straightforwardly says what he wants after kissing her. "Other than the kiss" in the show castle scene, he didn't do anything explicitly sexual to her in ASOS (before Lysa's death) or - at least on page - the first two AFFC chapters, except for asking her to give "her father" a kiss in the first or second chapter and saying "how dutiful" with clear disappointment when she replies by kissing him on the cheek. Oh, and there's stuff like him telling her "young girls are happier with older men". He is being "fatherly" and "expositiony" in every chapter in AFFC, and it's only in the last Alayne chapter in AFFC, in the scene where she feels wine in his breath and he tells her about Harry the Heir (a lot of exposition!), he is "fatherly" in a Crastery way, making her sit on his lap, giving her long kisses on the mouth and scolding her for not being "enthusiastic" enough, all while making her call him Father.

It looks like that is, fortunately, not going to be happening in the show, since she has some leverage over him now and isn't that helpless. Plus, they've made a point of LF understanding that she's not a child anymore, so it would be odd if he was treating her as a child and trying to groom her by counting on her naivete.

LOL "apart from the kiss". And Jaime's and Cersei's relationship is totally platonic, "apart" from all those times they had sex. :)

His attraction to her could only be opaque to 2-year olds. He didn't outright kiss her before that, but he was creepin' on her in every season, since the Hand's tourney in season 1. They even added more scenes between them in season 3 and had Ros and Shae spell it out that he's being a creep, just in case the viewers didn't notice. And in season 4, since Breaker of Chains, everyone noticed how he was creepily touching her and getting close to her all the time on the boat.

And you seem to have forgotten what it was like in the books. He is always giving her exposition, in every scene they have together, except in the kiss scene where he straightforwardly says what he wants after kissing her. "Other than the kiss" in the show castle scene, he didn't do anything explicitly sexual to her in ASOS (before Lysa's death) or - at least on page - the first two AFFC chapters, except for asking her to give "her father" a kiss in the first or second chapter and saying "how dutiful" with clear disappointment when she replies by kissing him on the cheek. Oh, and there's stuff like him telling her "young girls are happier with older men". He is being "fatherly" and "expositiony" in every chapter in AFFC, and it's only in the last Alayne chapter in AFFC, in the scene where she feels wine in his breath and he tells her about Harry the Heir (a lot of exposition!), he is "fatherly" in a Crastery way, making her sit on his lap, giving her long kisses on the mouth and scolding her for not being "enthusiastic" enough, all while making her call him Father.

It looks like that is, fortunately, not going to be happening in the show, since she has some leverage over him now and isn't that helpless. Plus, they've made a point of LF understanding that she's not a child anymore, so it would be odd if he was treating her as a child and trying to groom her by counting on her naivete.

I am talking about my interpretation of Gillen's performance in the series, not LF in the the books! A lot of the stuff you are talking about from AFFC hasn't happened in the show (yet). This is not about what I think of LF the book character. I am sure there are other threads for that. My point is that it is a different dynamic in the show. Granted, it does still have a sexual undertone, but what Gillen an Turner do isn't the same. It doesn't win the same creep points for me.

I am talking about my interpretation of Gillen's performance in the series, not LF in the the books! A lot of the stuff you are talking about from AFFC hasn't happened in the show (yet). This is not about what I think of LF the book character. I am sure there are other threads for that. My point is that it is a different dynamic in the show. Granted, it does still have a sexual undertone, but what Gillen an Turner do isn't the same. It doesn't win the same creep points for me.

And I pointed out just how creepy he's been in the show and that it's not any different than the books, apart from them pointing out his creepiness earlier (in season 3 in particular). I'm really struggling to see how he's just "fatherly" and not-creepy. Yes, that stuff from AFFC is further down the timeline - that's the point! Your argument was that he wasn't doing that in the show - and the show hasn't even gotten to that point. It's not like he is going to sexually molest her just when she's testifying in his trial. Plus they changed the power dynamic between them, he would be stupid to try to do that now, when she can appeal to the Vale Lords and bring him down, and is aware of it.

And I pointed out just how creepy he's been in the show and that it's not any different than the books, apart from them pointing out his creepiness earlier (in season 3 in particular). I'm really struggling to see how he's just "fatherly" and not-creepy. Yes, that stuff from AFFC is further down the timeline - that's the point! Your argument was that he wasn't doing that in the show - and the show hasn't even gotten to that point. It's not like he is going to sexually molest her just when she's testifying in his trial. Plus they changed the power dynamic between them, he would be stupid to try to do that now, when she can appeal to the Vale Lords and bring him down,

Okay, white flag. :agree: But I still feel like Gillen just hasn't, and perhaps won't ever do the twisted-ness of the LF/Sansa book dynamic justice. I know the the AFFC letching scenes are yet to come on the timeline, but frankly, I don't think they are ever going to capture what Martin writes. Judging by the whole 'Darth Sansa' transformation of ep8 - it's a dark place they won't go.. All LF's multifaceted nuances of paternal/sexual/material/political desire for what is, essentially a vulnerable adolescent girl, just don't, or maybe can't come through in Gillen's portrayal.

• 2 weeks later...

The accent gets stronger every season.. But the throwing Lysa out of the moon door-scheme seemed a bit weird compared to the books, in the books he had everything planned and Marillion was to be blamed blaa blaa blaa Littlefinger slithers out of the situation with ease. Here he spontaneously tosses her out and then is completely screwed when facing Royce etc. Well, that had nothing to do with Aidan Gillen's portrayal, but oh well. I think he has done a decent job, could be better, could be worse.

I'm a fence-sitter on this, as while I think screen LF is more two-dimensional than I would have hoped, this is as much to do with the writing as the performance. Having said that, I think the character as written could be acted in a way that is less flat or obvious. Maybe it's because I was 'spoiled' by the books, but I thought LF came over almost straight away in s1 as someone who could only be trusted as far as your interests supported his.

I do think though that Aidan has done a good job of being creepy around Sansa, though I sense that that's been pushed as far as it can go. In the books part of the creepiness comes from the fact she is about 13 (OK, mediaeval so maybe not so unacceptable in context, but still, yuck!), which won't work in the same way with Sophie Turner's more grown-up Sansa.

Archived