Aidan Gillen's portrayal of Littlefinger: Yay or Nay?

valacirca

i give him an 8.5 out of 10, his chaos is a ladder speech was very good in my opinion...i like him in the show...i have started to not enjoy clarke's portrayal of dany to be hoonest...i think some of her lines are extremely forced and if it wasnt for the character being such a badass i wouldnt have liked her on the show as much. (hard not to like her just cause she is so fing hot)

The accent gets stronger every season.. But the throwing Lysa out of the moon door-scheme seemed a bit weird compared to the books, in the books he had everything planned and Marillion was to be blamed blaa blaa blaa Littlefinger slithers out of the situation with ease. Here he spontaneously tosses her out and then is completely screwed when facing Royce etc. Well, that had nothing to do with Aidan Gillen's portrayal, but oh well. I think he has done a decent job, could be better, could be worse.

Blame D&D for being too cheap to shell out for another singing actor instead of the guy who plays Marillion in season 1 for the 'your tongue or your hands' scene in KL.

Blame D&D for being too cheap to shell out for another singing actor instead of the guy who plays Marillion in season 1 for the 'your tongue or your hands' scene in KL.

Because a nobody singer pushing Lysa out the Moon Door because he loved her too much made so much more sense? I like the part in the books where Marillion was questioned on the specifics on how he pushed Lysa (a rather big woman) out the door. Oh wait, that didn't happen. People like to be super critical of show-only scenes and then give a pass to the books when it comes to this stuff.

Wasn't it adorable how they made sure Sansa looked taller than Littlefinger in the kiss scene? Awwwww.

Sarcasm?

I think two dimensional is a good description - of a lot of the characters on the show. Marillion made sense in the book because it showed Littlefinger in control of the situation. Scrambling, but in control. Not so on the show where all he can say is he doesn't want his halfwit niece questioned. Yeah, right. Good thinking there. (That was sarcasm).

It really cheapened Lysa's death having it essentially be a crime of passion by someone as cpalm and calculating as LF. He's essentially banking on Sansa's goodwill in the follow-up episode. Whereas with Marillion present it made the scenario more plausible.

I also have to hope that Sansa outing herself to the Vale at this point is an intelligent plot move and not just D + D pandering to the uber vocal Sansa devotees that no doubt besiege the production team as well as this board with fan fiction about her ending up as a major, major player who makes LG and Varys look amateurish...

Um, no, that's not why they changed it.

I was being slightly tongue in cheek re the budget angle, but it's a poor and unnecessary change which ended up with LF's character being cheapned - he would never leave himself reliant on Sansa's goodwill / survival instinct - Unforced error, because GRRM has been clear Marillion still has a role to play in WoW.

It really cheapened Lysa's death having it essentially be a crime of passion by someone as cpalm and calculating as LF. He's essentially banking on Sansa's goodwill in the follow-up episode. Whereas with Marillion present it made the scenario more plausible.

Uh, it was the same in the books. He was just quick-witted and resourceful enough to immediately find a solution. LF doesn't really plan that many things compared to, say, Varys, he often sees an opportunity and takes it (example: the infamous dagger). If he had been cold and calculating, he wouldn't have kissed Sansa with Lysa watching, which lead to Sansa almost going out of the Moon Door and could have lead to who knows what by someone as crazy and volatile as Lysa, and he wouldn't have pushed Lysa out of the MD with Sansa watching. He would have murdered Lysa in a much safer and more secure way without any witnesses.

The idea that LF somehow and for some reason planned it all makes zero sense.

I was being slightly tongue in cheek re the budget angle, but it's a poor and unnecessary change which ended up with LF's character being cheapned - he would never leave himself reliant on Sansa's goodwill / survival instinct - Unforced error, because GRRM has been clear Marillion still has a role to play in WoW.

It didn't lead to it. They could have used any character to take Marillion's place in season 4 if they had wanted to. They didn't.

Unforced error, because GRRM has been clear Marillion still has a role to play in WoW.

Um, no he hasn't. He said that Marillion losing his tongue back in season 1 would cause problems when they got to ASOS, but Marillion is completely replaceable. Or, in this case, they can write out his role entirely and approach the story differently. Since D&D were told GRRM's plans before drafting this season, they could have added a Marillion replacement if they felt they needed one for the future.

Sarcasm?

I think two dimensional is a good description - of a lot of the characters on the show. Marillion made sense in the book because it showed Littlefinger in control of the situation. Scrambling, but in control. Not so on the show where all he can say is he doesn't want his halfwit niece questioned. Yeah, right. Good thinking there. (That was sarcasm).

I thought it was funny.

LF accusing Marillion in the book makes sense, but there is no reason for anyone to believe it "Give me a year, and if you are still not satisfied with me running the Vale then I will step aside." How convenient. There are also too many book readers who want to lay everything that happens at either LF's or Varys' feet. If LF had planned the kiss (as some suggest), I don't think he would have allowed Lysa to push Sansa far enough that a foot was dangling over the edge.

Also notice that I did not say that the way the show dealt with it was perfect either. Not talking to Sansa makes no sense. They should have had a single scene with LF explaining the suicide excuse to her so she was at least somewhat prepared. She still would have went off-script though, and we wind up at the exact same place. So yeah, they did unnecessarily weaken him.

I think Aiden Gillen did a great job in seasons 1,2 and 3. Season 4 was a challenge. He had some great scenes, some not so great. I feel the main problem is his attempt to do Richard Burtonesque Welsh accent. That somehow doesn't sit well with his voice making him change his tonality all the time. I think he got the hang of it by the end of the season. I believe what the Welsh accent is there to achieve is that LF pretended more while in KL while in the Vale, he is more of a homeboy, more like his young self. I don't know if the change of accent was Gillen's idea or someone else's, but it took some time to settle in. For a Dubliner, he is doing a good job. I'd give him a 9 out of 10, but taking all 4 seasons into consideration. Also, OP should take into consideration that actors depend on writers and directors. If characters in the show differ from their book counterparts, actors just have to go along with it.

That was exactly what I thought when I saw that episode. LF is always so much in control of situations, I don't think he'd take it well if a situation ever crops up when he's not in control. And in the books, Sansa assures Sweetrobin that Marillion is dead, but she hasn't seen it herself, its just because LF tells her that Marillion is dead. What if he isn't? A whole lot of possibilities open up if we consider that a disfigured Marillion is still there in the sky cells, what with winter coming and all...

:lol: And sadly, not even satire, that's the show.

You must have seen some weird cut of the show... Probably at the same place they show the adorable "Keeping up with the Lannisters" family sitcom about lovable ole Tywin trying to deal with his crazy kids, and the raucous comedy "Fun Loving Ramsay the Party Dude".

Archived