Aidan Gillen's portrayal of Littlefinger: Yay or Nay?

valacirca

LOL to the Haitch!!! ...and the batman voice comments. I suppose I have to start paying attention. The one and only time I noticed there was something radically different from him and everyone else was when he said "I suppose we're all from somewhere in the end." I think it was in Mockingbird. And that was on a re-watch.

His accent fluctuations are kindof inexplicable but he's been consistently inconsistent from the start. He's upped the Batman factor for sure as the seasons have passed, but even in s1 he switched from the whisper to yelling and from Irish to English as he pleased, so I've gotten used to it. He's got some pretty good moments under his belt too and does a great troll face, so at least there's that.

His accent in the Wire was even worse btw. He once said "haitch" for the letter H. NO AMERICANS SAY HAITCH!

Good man Aidan, REPRESENT!! [insert leprechaun.gif]

I have zero issues with Gillan's portrayal of Littlefinger. For want of a better word, I find his portrayal accomplished and most recently as skeevy, like if I touched him and pulled my hand back, it might be oily. He also is very close to the LF in my head when I read the books. I came away with a view of a very smart and cunning businessman making money hand over fist, but in an environment that favored birth rights over ability. He would never be accepted for what he was, yet he continues to try to acquire the polish he thinks he lacks. But he is an opportunist without moral or ethical constraints, and he is dangerous. And skeevy about Sansa :-)

:agree:

Well, in season 1, Littlefinger's true nature was still unknown to the audience and they chose a more subtle and submissive approach to not spill their beans prematurely. After that, his part got smaller and tv viewers are generally not trusted to remember stuff, so we need to be constantly reminded that LF is a bad dude.

While i enjoyed their little hush-voiced conspiracy measurement contests, it did favor Varys greatly and presented LF as his evil counterpart/opposite.

Well, in season 1, Littlefinger's true nature was still unknown to the audience and they chose a more subtle and submissive approach to not spill their beans prematurely. After that, his part got smaller and tv viewers are generally not trusted to remember stuff, so we need to be constantly reminded that LF is a bad dude.

While i enjoyed their little hush-voiced conspiracy measurement contests, it did favor Varys greatly and presented LF as his evil counterpart/opposite.

So, is that why D&D don't think Tywin was a villain? Because Charles Dance didn't use a Batman Voice or have a mustache to twirl and his accent and decibel level was consistent throughout the show...so they forgot he was a bad guy? LMAO.

I think he does a good job, Littlefinger is a very complex character to play so it can't be easy.

I'm sure there are people that could do it better, and it's not exactly how I thought of LF based on the book but it doesn't cause any problems for me.

So, is that why D&D don't think Tywin was a villain? Because Charles Dance didn't use a Batman Voice or have a mustache to twirl and his accent and decibel level was consistent throughout the show...so they forgot he was a bad guy? LMAO.

I forgot to mark my sarcasm with LMAO, i apologize.

(LMAO)

LOL to the Haitch!!! .

Hehe, I never noticed it myself but being Irish I say Haitch. I've had several arguments with friends about there being a H in Haitch (because there is). :)

As for his performance in GoT, I think it's fine. It's not set in England so no need for an English accent. Plus he's from a backwater of the Vale, so in KL he tries to sound more like them but fails sometimes.

I never got people complaining about the accents in Robin Hood, saying he didn't sound English enough. Well the nobility at that time spoke french (probably with french accents). What English the small folk did speak would be closer to German than to our version of English and we would be lucky to understand one word in twenty.

I think Aidan G's performance is on-point. LF is such a complex character because of all his secrets/motives etc. I think Book-LF is a little less playful/smart-ass than what we see on TV - but when TV LF gets all cold/calculating/serious it's actually quite scary to watch. Aidan's really effective in that sense. Love him.

Perfect. :lol:

It's completely inexplicable though. How is an actor allowed to change around his delivery to that extent?

We're not talking about subtle issues like Dinklage's accent not always being spot on, but a REALLY weird choice by the actor, that didn't exist at all in the beginning, then, popped out, in an out of control theatrical manner, and thankfully, was somewhat reeled in for most of this season. But, no one on the show apparently noticed or cared for two seasons?

And, it's not as if he's a terrible actor, which makes the Batman voice even more bizarre.

His voice actually reminds me of Bane in TDKR, particularly in s4e8 when Sansa and Sweet Robin are fighting and he says "Children..." before appearing on screen. It's uncanny, I had to rewind and listen again before continuing with the episode :D

He leaves me feeling dirty after I've watched him, so his portrayal as a master villain works, mostly. But I've had some issues with lapses, like where he's revealed things to Cersei and Varys; LF isn't that stupid or an open book.

Archived